El Tri match on August 15

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Aug 12, 2012.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

a major snore of a first half, but a very entertaining second. Lovin' it.

2. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

On one hand it was a win in a friendly and I am not sure what Klinnsmann took from it. Hopefully that he needs to keep finding more youngsters like Shea to blood in that have the potential to become game changers because Beasley and Beckerman are not the even the present much less the future of American soccer. Personally, I will be looking for Tater Torres picture on my next carton of milk.

On the other hand the US just beat MEXICO in MEXICO thank you very much!

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I think this just might be the game-plan for Mexico. Go there, park the bus (to um, er..."weather the storm"), have poor touches throughout, give the ball away in the middle of the field, and come out with a win. Genius.

Actually, it feels good to finally get a win in Mexico. Granted the atmosphere wasn't what it usually is and it was a friendly, but I'll take it.

4. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

75 years in the making :banana-dance:

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

:text-+1: Watched it late last night, and pretty ugly from both teams until the end. Good on JK to call up Shea when frankly he didn't deserve one, maybe this will get him going in the right direction again. Was going to say Geoff Cameron was the motm until Timmy saved the day in the final 10 minutes. Had no idea the former had signed with Stoke City, but looks like we finally are getting a little competition on that back line. Only other immediate observation is that if Metta World Peace (the former Ron Artest) had a long lost brother, his name would be Jermaine Jones. That dude seems to be on his own planet and is a red card waiting to happen.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It would be very nice if we never saw Beckerman and Jones again in a USMNT shirt

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Funny you should say that about Shea, because I'm sure a lot of people were thinking it (including me). But here's what Klinsmann said before the match:

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/story/ ... dly-mexico

Shea will be called in pretty much all the time, unless he has another ref meltdown. Now can he have a few coffees with Jones and calm him down?

8. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

But look at him celebrating with the oxygen tank like a champ!!!!

[​IMG]

:lol:

9. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I'm not so sure about that. Maybe he's was just called in this time, as a way to show him support, because there was room on the roster for a friendly with no Demps, Bradley, Altidore, etc. Hyndmann should obviously always support his player but I'm not sure Klinsmann should be applying special rules to his situation if he doesnt start to produce again. Adu has always produced for the national team, and was the most important player in that final game of the failed olympic run, but he's not getting called in I assume because of his club play.

10. Clevelandmo

I saw Edu with an oxygen tank too. Are they joking or is that for some real reason.

11. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I believe it's due to the high elevation of Mex City, if my memory serves me correctly.

And, yeah, how about beating Mexico and Italy on the road for the first time ever IN THE SAME YEAR!

COUSMNT!

12. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Azteca is a mile high in vile pollution.

Wynalda described it like this:

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...-soccer-rivalry-azteca-stadium/1#.UC2BxqmPXTw

13. Clevelandmo

I know about the altitude at Azteca, but I dont understand why oxygen once the game is over. I guess I'm slow, is it somehow important to get oxygen back into their system, were Edu and Jones about to keel over without inhaling?

14. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

15. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Wound up being pretty cool to be in the chatroom during such an historic occassion for the USMNT. Never would have predicted that going in, I figured we'd talk a little US football, a little Fulham, and mostly visit while hoping the match didn't get too out of hand. Instead, we wound up with Heather, Mo, Don and myself getting to share in the moment. :banana-dance: