El Tri match on August 15

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Aug 12, 2012.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The match is only three days away, and I can't find a squad list anywhere. What's up, America?

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Not sure why they wait so long to release it...mind games with the Mexicans (or their own supporters)? Via Goff from twitter Pontius is an alternate and won't travel with the team unless there is an injury.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Senator, there's a blog up on the USSOCCER.COM site that it titled "22 to go to Mexico City" and begins "We all now know who will be in the 22-man squad" or some such. It just mentions Donovan and Beasley. I'm thinking that JK is going to use this friendly to determine who will be 15-23 in his regular squad, and that none of the non-Scandinavian Europeans will be called.

4. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

GOALKEEPERS (3): Tim Howard (Everton), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (6): Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Steven Beithasour (San Jose Earthquakes), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Michael Orozco Fiscal (San Luis), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim)

MIDFIELDERS (9): DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Jose Torres (Pachuca), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (4): Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Herculez Gomez (Santos), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

So that's 1 of 3 GKs, 2 of 6 defenders, 3 of 9 midfielders, and 1 of 4 forwards from Europe.

This is a great policy of JK's. The August international date is ludicrous, and he's quite wise to leave key players -- Bocanegra. Altidore, Dempsey, Bradley, Cherundelo, etc. etc. -- with their clubs as their season begins. I'm starting to warm to the git.

6. LaxAttack

Klinsmann has added Alan Gordon to the roster late tonight.

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I hope the Azteca is sold out for the game, kinda doubt it. Be good to see how some of the new guys perform in such a tough atmosphere.

8. LaxAttack

From Steven Goff:

"Mexican organizers are anticipating a sellout crowd at Azteca."

9. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

:shifty:

Apparently, Klinsmann enjoys the same scotch as I late at night...Interesting choice - as a 'Quakes supporter, he's been a beast in the last 20 (along with goldylocks) and I'm happy for him. Still, there are other strikers in North America that seem to deserve a call up more than him (EJ?).

Oh, and stoked to see Beitashour get a look. Pay attention to his game if you haven't yet, he's the real deal.

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Let's hope we break our 3 year winless streak against El Tri tonight. But considering our line-up and the location, I'll be happy with a draw.

Anybody going to be in the chat room for this one?

11. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Would assume El Tri is throwing out their B squad as well. I expect a 2 goal win to the hosts, and would be happy if the boys find the back of the net. Have to be at a fund raiser for my nephew and won't be watching this one live, so chat is out for me. Obviously a big match for a lot of guys wanting to send a message out to the git er' the manager (for you HD and Mo) as the squad moves towards WC qualifying. The guy who can really do himself a world of good is Wondo. If he can put in a good shift in Azteca, he can go a long ways in proving to all the naysayers that he can get it done at the international level.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

If they throw out the squad that featured in the Olympics, we're in for a serious ass kicking. Senator, it's not just the three-year winless streak -- I don't think we've won in Mexico City for a couple of generations and I don't think we've EVER won at Azteca.

I was going to shine this on, but the missus is in class this evening, so I'll check it out.

13. LaxAttack

Looks pretty A quality to me:

Goalkeepers: Guillermo Ochoa (Ajaccio), Alfredo Talavera (Toluca).

Defenders: Francisco Javier Rodriguez (Stuttgart), Hector Moreno (Espanyol), Severo Meza (Monterrey), Hugo Ayala (Tigres), Jorge Torres Nilo (Tigres), Enrique Perez (Morelia), Adrian Aldrete (Club America).

Midfielders: Jesus Zavala (Monterrey), Manuel Viniegra (Tigres), Edgar Gerardo Lugo (Santos Laguna), Pablo Barrera (Cruz Azul), Andres Guardado (Valencia), Angel Reyna (Monterrey).

Forwards: Elias Hernandez (Tigres), Aldo de Nigris (Monterrey), Javier Hernandez (Manchester United).

14. LaxAttack

0-23-1 on Mexican soil.

0-19-1 in Mexico City.

0-8-1 at Azteca.

15. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Yes

16. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

ok...I'll be there but perhaps a little late.

17. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

18. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

America fuck yeah!

19. LaxAttack

Make that 1-23-1, 1-19-1 and 1-8-1.

Also, tonight was only Mexico's ninth loss ever at Azteca in 120 games.

20. RDG

RDG Member

Thankfully, there is ESPN3 for those of us who cannot make it to the TV during live matches.

Yeah, it's a friendly, but it was quite a victory.