Eeny, meeny, miny, Where's Mo???

Discussion in 'FulhamUSA Introductions and Announcements' started by SoCalJoe, Apr 9, 2013.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Ok Mo, where you at?? Hope all is well, and nothing serious is keeping you away.

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

She hasn't been the only one missing. Quite a number of posters have been missing. Perhaps it is time to close shop? If anybody has any ideas on how to get and keep people engaged on the forum, I am welcome to ideas. Otherwise, I am not sure it's worth it to keep going.
    I'm thinking bulletin boards are going out of style in some regards with social networking taking over?

I've been kinda looking at new forum software that allows users to login and register via social networks. Although it wouldn't be necessary to have a Twitter or facebook account to use the new forum. It would also be mobile device friendly without a 3rd party app. But then again I have noticed we're not the only one slowing down in traffic, perhaps it is due to Fulham having a ho hum season. There really has been nothing truly exciting going on this season. Plus the number of scheduled games has been very limited in the past month or so.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I would hate for this site to die, and I've been dropping our name on other sites. I understand that it's a tremendous amount of work for you and there's little reward when the same "most recent comment" sits there for 18 hours. I'm just afraid that if we go toes up, those Brits who said that "The Yanks will leave when there's no American players" will turn out to be right.

Whatever you decide, I'm in your corner.

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Thanks Hatter.

Been thinking about whether to keep it going ever since the last time the site was knocked down. And I always lean towards keeping this site going, thinking if we can just get some of the regulars or old posters to engage more we can get this place hopping again. But that doesn't seem to happen. The question is why? Is it social media limiting people's time or willingness to post here? Do we just not offer enough diverse or expert opinions?

If anybody has any thoughts, I am listening. If you even want to help in running this site, by all means volunteer (some experience is all I ask though).

5. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I can most definitely say it isn't social media in my case. That may apply to some as your hardcore message board types do tend to be heavy into the latest internet fads. I really don't know how much that applies here though.

For me, I fell out of the habit of posting regularly after the site went down for an extended period and just haven't gotten back into a regular patern since. It would seem others have done the same. More activity would probably get me posting more, but then there's your dichotomy...if we're all waiting on the other guy/gal...

I think you also hit on it above too. We haven't played much in the last month or so and the season has been rather ho-hum. When we were at the height of our struggles, there did seem to be an uptick in posting. Now that we're unspectacularly safe, it's slowed again.

I do know we tend to get a decent crowd in the chatroom, so we're out there and checking in. To me it's worth it to keep it going. We're liable to make a comeback, but also there aren't many Fulham sites where you get reliably intelligent &/or funny posts w/o having to wade through so much ignorance that you wonder if people even watch football. But ultimately it is your decision since you are the one doing the work.

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I never want to see this site go away, but I understand the work that goes into it, and of which, I don't do. I'm not a social media person, so, FUSA (and FOF) are my only connection to Fulham. Thanks again, DCH for the neverending labor of love.

7. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

I know for me it's the only Fulham site I go to. It was the first one I found and consider it a home. I like the friendly atmosphere and even though we don't always agree with one another there is respect all around. That is something truly hard to find on internet message boards. I too hope it never goes away. Again, thanks for all the hard work Heather.

8. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

FUSA till I die! :grin:

9. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

For me, social media has certainly put a dent in my message board postings across the *board* (harhar/that and a really good site shutting down, and a formerly good messageboard going to crap.)

But I've noticed that about 75+% of my interactions with people about footy are a) on twitter and b) aren't Fulham fans. There's a saying about facebook and twitter: your friends on facebook are people you went to high school with; your friends on twitter are people you wish you were friends with.

And I think this is true to a degree in terms of MB postings. Before, the only logical place to talk footy was a site about your favorite club; even if you completely disagreed with 99% of what the other people were saying (who remembers the PettyFog-HatterDon debates? Oh boy.) Now with social media, I don't need a fulham-specific MB. I can follow a few fans (follow me @timmyintransit!), and also non-Fulham fans that I enjoy conversing with. In the past, would you ever post on, say, a Stoke MB? No. But now I follow a Stoke follower on twitter and it's fun.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I would say that twitter is the spawn of the devil, but I'm afraid that Pettyfog will agree with me.

11. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

First, I'm very sorry for not being very active lately. I've always been more of a reader than writer, but many things have prevented me from following as closely as I would like. With that being said, I would hate for the site to go inactive. I very much enjoy reading when I'm able. I will increase my participation if it means it won't go away.

Thanks to Don for sending me a private IM. It will get me back involved!

12. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I am here trying to pitch in how I can when I can and I miss Mo too.

13. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

:D

14. tim

tim Active Member

For what it's worth, I really do appreciate the community here (perhaps disproportionately to my number of posts). In fact, in my earliest days following English football, it was this site that helped tip the scales in coming to support Fulham. It was such a friendly, welcoming group. If this is what it means to support Fulham, I remember thinking, then this is the club for me.

Some fine points have been made above; this season has been rather dreary (lacking in excitement; we've never really been in much danger, but we've hardly looked a threat to do more than finish mid-table). And, as much as I hate to admit it, there may be a shred of truth to dwindling activity with no Americans on our roster (fingers crossed for an Omar Gonzales signing this summer--I seriously think he'd be a good addition, but I suppose that's another topic for another day.)

For me, social media has never really been a place to connect with other supporters, although I do use it to follow the club's official announcements as well as following a number of players and news outlets/journalists that provide updates and insight.

Even FoF is a bit daunting for me, leaving this as my primary place to connect with a Fulham community.

I will do whatever I can to help maintain the health of the site; certainly the easiest task is simply posting more and responding more. While my skill set probably precludes me from being more active in helping with site management, I'm happy to jump in where my strengths lie. Working in the media industry, perhaps I can offer some thoughts (as I've done from time to time in the past) on coverage of the game. And while the topic at hand is retaining active membership and encouraging participation, should we also be looking at opportunities to attract additional traffic and recruit new members? The SEO on the site appears to be pretty strong, but I'll put my mind to seeing if there's anything that we're missing. I work in paid advertising, so everything I know how to do involves spending money, but I know many people who work in digital marketing and perhaps can pick their brains as well.

15. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I think it's kinda fitting we're having this conversation about the site in a "Where the heck is Mo?" thread. Where are you?

And like many of you, this was my first Fulham site that I became a part of because it was so welcoming and friendly. Well, except for the Hatter and Fog debate threads...but dare I say, they were extremely entertaining at times. Sorry Hatter.

16. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

They were entertaining most times, read like an episode of Crossfire that wasn't regulated by the FCC.

I would hate for this place to go away to just a Facebook group. Where else would I get my emoticon fix ?? :character-beavisbutthead: or in this case :sad-teareye:

When this board is at it's finest there is a feeling of hanging out with your friends and debating sports, which is something I love to do. Sure we have some disagreements, but I've never felt it's been more than friendly banter...Now, back on topic

MO, WHERE U AT????

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

If we were to swtich to something like this as a forum:

http://joom.fulhamusa.com/forum

do you think you would participate more, less, or about the same? Feel free to login and look around and tell what you like and dislike. There are a number of things I like and dislike, but I am still on a learning how to use it, so...I am holding judgement until I feel like I have exhausted all its functions.

Don't worry I am not switching anything over just yet. Just want some feedback.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I don't know, kiddo. I'm not all that techno savvy. Hopefully someone else will comment on this soon.

19. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

but you're my target audience. :banana-guitar:

I'm not going to switch over to something everybody hates, can't, or won't use...the 2nd version of this site.

20. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

It appears that it would work fine for the forum. I can't remember the last time I went to the main page -- my Fulham USA bookmark points to the forum, so I wouldn't miss the main page if there weren't one. Things like the View from South Texas could be posted in a discussion thread.

The other thing I use on this site is the chat, during games. Is there a way to have a chat function with this software? If not, what would be the alternatives? I don't do Facebook or any of the other social media, so that wouldn't be an option for me.