Donovan Loan saga thread

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by nevzter, Nov 20, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I watched the whole match, Jens. He had two moments that stick out.

1. Early in the match he tracked back and swiped the ball off Gerrard's feet as clean as a whistle. Unfortunately, about a second later, another Toffee fouled him leading to a free kick.

2. In the second half he found himself one-on-one with Carragher went straight at him, slipped the ball past him into the penalty area and swept past him at top speed for a cross. It was a great move, but it led to nothing.

He always looked positive to me, found space, and made good use of it. He kept his shape under pressure. I wouldn't have necessarily thought he was the best player on the park, but I certainly didn't think he deserved the negative comments some gave.

OTOH in the Villa-Spuds match, I was very impressed with Villa's back four -- easily the best Brad has ever played behind -- and Spurs' midfield. The joy to watch on the day, however, is Ledley King. It almost makes you cry for England that he's so seldom fit to play for them. I think, when healthy, that he's better than Rio and AssHat put together. A VERY entertaining 0-0, as I said.

2. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Thanks for the info... I need to get the ESPN's added to the lineup before the WC or I am screwed. I currently have a spanish language package so I get all the soccer channels for the same price as the 2nd or 3rd tier english package... But for whatever reason the only ESPN that I get is Deportes.

You do get free playboy in espanol - which is hillarious to me... Not that we have it in the house. I tried to get them to give me Setanta in its place, but no dice. I guess that is how you get spanish speaking homes to sign up for dish and not direct tv = free playboy... lol.

Harry is trying to talk King up to get him another look for the WC. If he can continue to play one match a week he may get the call.

3. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Any American who assists in beating the blue-poo and knocking them down a notch, I have to give some credit to.

Well done Cakes, you are acclimating pretty well so far. "Excelling" is still too strong of a word yet, but not far off if you keep it up.

4. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Glad to see he helped defeat the scum. He had at least three fouls, third was a yellow.

6. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Landon was very good tonight. With all the bad news the USMNT has had lately Bradley must be giddy about Donovan's performances at Everton.

7. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

8. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Good stuff. I was distracted for the last 20 min or so, but he was fairly good tonight. The corner had a lot of pace on it and the penalty was well deserved. He even got fired up and put in a pair of challanges, but you can see that he is doing his part to keep out of injury - which I am fine with. He also beat Terry a few times and put in a handfull of good crosses.

9. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Damn, WB is a tough grader; I'd have avoided your classes everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

On account of LD's previous forays into the Euro realm, I'd say he's more than excelling right now. Dude has been Everton's best player in multiple matches and he "arose to the occasion" against one of the top 2 or 3 clubs in the world today. If he continues this trend, I don't think Everton will be able to afford him should they even consider buying him from MLS. I hope that's not the case b/c I think he's found a comfort level to allow him to succeed - having his club's backing is probably a welcome change for him as well. He makes others around him better and that's an invaluable trait on the professional level.

Why didn't Fulham sign him up? I'm truly sorry he's not a White at this point b/c it's now obvious he can "excel" in England.

10. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

We can't afford his wages.

And although Im happy for this, Im not really seeing what the endgame is right now.

11. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Donovan had a great game and absolutely owned Ashley Cole.

What's going through Capello's head right now:

"I thought I only had to worry about shutting down Dempsey; this Euro-failure Donovan comes out of nowhere and breaks my best left backs ankle, both figuratively and literally, and that 20 year old Altidore, who made Captavilla look foolish in South Africa, is starting to find his form against Premier League center-halfs. If we come in second in the group, who do we face?"

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Love it; love it. I'm sure every Englishman reading your post is laughing his ass off, and I'm confident Cappello's concerns lie on matters not remotely near our forward line, but I love it!

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Saw on Sky Sports News that Landon was selected Everton's player of the month for January.

Said he certainly wouldn't mind moving back to Everton for another spell.

14. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

You go girl!!!!!!!!

Sorry couldnt resist. Mandon deserves better, I just have to get the kisses for his dogs out of my system before I give him the respect he may deserve

15. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Everton - ManU

Match PReview by Paul at Powerline

16. pettyfog

3-1 Everton
    Fun match. Donovan went full. Missed a sitter by being back to goal and wrong footed.

E started down 0-1 level at 20. two subsequent goals by young subs

Moyes is on fire!

from toffee forum
    Lemme guess.. Bobby from 25 and Mo off his bum

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: Everton - ManU

the miss aside, I thought Donovan was the most dangerous man on the pitch in the second half.

He's doing right well.

18. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

RE: Everton - ManU

Good match by Landon. He showed Capello that he doesn't want to start Gary Neville on June 12th.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

not sure when the subject changed in this thread, but here it is back to where it was.

20. pettyfog

Maybe right before the match, when I put it up to promote it? Maybe.

--------------------------------------------
    Wahl SI, Friday, on chances of Donovan staying over..
    That's what I thought.. and what I would have expected. Is Donovan nuts? Or did he have that little self confidence that he would go for money instead of the golden chance.