Dempsey?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by CottageCop, Dec 12, 2013.

1. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Don't be surprised if he winds up at Stoke instead. ;)

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Re: Dempsey? Riether says welcome back!

Seems like @clint_dempsey has returned! Announcement surely imminent.

Riether: "Welcome Back Clint Dempsey!" pic.twitter.com/W1WCu2jPEj

[tweet]413677106825273345[/tweet]

4. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

He's apparently deleted this at the behest of the powers that be. Don't they know that once something's out on the webnet, you can't bring it back?

5. Clevelandmo

Maybe Fulham is just getting revenge for the Liverpool debacle :shock:

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Lots of Pols, press and Hollyweirders still dont grok that.
    ;)

Lol... I'm 71 yo. I usually have ' xnview' readily available. Even if I cannot look at google cache {sometimes you cant} it does Screenshots amazingly well.
    Yeah... Print Screen is a windows feature but it's clumsy. In xnview I can click a couple times to crop and / or reduce the image size both file and screen size. Even overlay text on image. Has a lot of great features, besides... like you can load it on mem fob with your images and use on any win computer without installing it.
    Also has some decent android appsfrom the looks of it.

7. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Thank you for making me giggle today Mo!

8. LogicalmanUS

LogicalmanUS Member

Personally, if we get Clint for 2 months and his presence earns us a couple of extra points we might not have gained should he not have joined for that short time, then where's the harm? It might mean the difference in staying up and going down at the end of the season, and nobody here wants that.

If anything it will provide Rene a chance to bed in those new signings a little (he says hopefully) and, perhaps, provide a respite for those players that have been working overtime in midfield to provide Berbatov with the service he doesn't deserve.

9. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Probably the medical:

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/tra ... /4492542/-?

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Dempsey's Sounders contract allows for him to play elsewhere in "January and February." I don't expect any announcement that he's going anywhere until Jan 1.

Oh, did I mention I don't want him at Fulham?

12. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Yep.
    Did I mention, from my perch at 10,000 feet and having looked at Donovan's loan history {let alone McBride's}, at Everton... it probably won't hurt?
    I suspect Rene's at least as smart as Ginger Moyes.
    - Heh... never thought I'd be snarking Moyes. It's a different world aint it. :banana-guitar:

13. Clevelandmo

Come on Don it's a chance for him to put everything right. Wouldnt you like that? And I wouldnt bet against that boy Clint Dempsey.

14. BillNRoc

BillNRoc Member

Much as I respect HD's opinion, I disagree with him this time. I still delight in the memory of some of Dempsey's goals, especially that wonder goal vs Juventus during the Europe run. He hasn't been in greatest form at Seattle, but he's played well for USMNT. His approach to the game should fit well with the new midfield 3, and if he can help light a fire under Berba and/or inspire Ruiz to a couple of incomparable passes, my goodness that would be some stuff! Getting more points is better than getting fewer.

15. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Assuming he passes the dreaded Fulham medical, I'm glad to see him back. I was torn on this initially, as I was thinking I'd hate to see him come back and fail to have an impact. But after thinking about it, this 2 month stint really doesn't affect his legacy for me. If he comes in and helps win us some points, he only enhances it. If he returns and fails to have an impact, it doesn't change anything for me. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Clint play for Fulham, regardless of the result or his impact in any given match. So if his return adds something to my enjoyment of our matches, that's really all that matters. The naysayers will nay say no matter what and I've grown tired of caring about what they think or thinking someone can change their minds.

As for Don, he is under the mistaken impression he gets on better with the natives at FoF when there aren't Americans in the side. I guess he doesn't remember that he's had a few self-imposed exiles since Dempsey left.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Nope, I haven't forgotten. But it looks as if this hiatus will be for the two months and probably until the end of the season.

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

18. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Seems like the most Logical response, deserving of a big :text-+1:

19. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I'm expecting a lot of this in the coming weeks/months and then again in June: http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/usnationa ... 71?cc=5901

Our long national nightmare is over.
    Actually no this was probably a preview for his, and potentially the nation's, display the World Cup.

but there is no denying that Deuce’s second stint at Craven Cottage -- where he had previously become a club legend, scoring 50 goals from 2007 to '12 -- didn’t go as planned.
    Actually, yes it did. Well, sorta. He was out of shape with nothing to prove. The club needed the opposite. We didn't expect him to do much, some less than others. But what was unexpected was how anonymous he was in his anonymity. In the 3 games he started the team scored one goal. He shot more than twice just once.

But while it’s fair to say that Dempsey didn’t play well during a spell in which he started just three of eight EPL games, his lack of playing time probably had more to do with Fulham’s status as a relegation favorite than the American captain’s form.
    Maybe, but it's probably more down to the fact that when he did get to play he was a total nonfactor. Had he been really, really bad it would have made some sense. Had he been really, really good it would have been logical. I don't think anyone expected him to just be "there".

By definition, Dempsey was never going to be a long-term solution for the Cottagers this season. So it’s hard to fault since-fired manager Rene Meulensteen or current boss Felix Magath for not letting him play though the slump.
    No, but I double dare you to watch the game tape of the Sheffield United FA Cup Replay. The horror, the horror...

Still, in hindsight, it appears that Dempsey would have been better-served participating in Seattle’s preseason. But that doesn’t necessarily mean he won’t be ready to hit the ground running upon his return.
    Actually, coupled with his lack of impact last season with Seattle and now with Fulham I'm very very concerned about Dempsey. I'm worried he's past it, like a slugger that one year can't hit a breaking ball to save his life. There are no freak injuries or devastating moments, just the floor has seemed to have fallen through.

There's going to be a lot of excuses made for Clint's display at the club; some of it the club's fault. But if things go pear-shaped in the coming months for him, I guess we can all say "told you so"...

20. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting Timmy, very interesting article that has a lot of good info about other players. Clint's game has never been about pace, so won't push the panic button quite yet, but there is a cause for concern for sure. Biggest shocker to get from that article: Jonathan Spector is only 27 years old :shock: Thought Mo's cousin was 4-5 years older than that.