Dempsey?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by CottageCop, Dec 12, 2013.

1. CottageCop

CottageCop New Member

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

If we sign Clint, it'll be the first stupid move of the Regime del Rene. Signing a guy for two months does nobody any good.

3. tim

tim Active Member

Clint's going on loan in January. If he's going to England, I don't see anything wrong in hoping it's with us. Any potential PR backlash can easily be dodged by blaming MJ for his initial departure.

Certainly not a long-term solution to any of our problems, but if it's our current squad vs. our current squad + Dempsey, I'll take the latter.

4. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

The only problem is if we grow too reliant on him and then go into a tailspin when he leaves. Much as I'd love to see Dempsey come back to the Cottage and fill up the net, it's probably not the best move for a team in a relegation fight unless we have no comparable options we can bring in.

5. Masterhaynes

Masterhaynes Member

Its in all the main tabloids over here in the UK, Sam Allardyce at West Ham has been quoted as having missed out on him to Fulham.
    How has Dempsey been playing over there in the MLS, did he set it alight with Seattle?

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I think it's a dumb idea overall but it wont hurt Fulham. the precedent is in the McBride and Donovan loans to Everton.
    Those worked well enough to have the fans wishing for Donovan back every MLS off season for a while.

As for Seattle, I dont think Sigi had a good plan to use Clint. I watched one of his first away games at Columbus and he was constantly in the mix, but didnt score, though Seattle dominated.

7. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Does a lot for that player's PR.

(Why hello Landon Donovan!)

8. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

He didn't start playing well until the end of the season. A combination of not being fit, picking up a few knocks (hamstring and shoulder), and Seattle figuring out the best place to play him along w/the personnel they already had. By his standards would grade him only a C.

If he came with the attitude of helping the club fight out of it's current situation (in whatever capacity the coaching staff asks) and put things right with the supporters who feel he didn't leave on good terms, I'd be fine with him coming. If he comes in with a bad attitude and not willing to apologize for how things went down, then he can go to WBA or Germany **NOTE to Clint; The fans don't care if there are 'two sides to every story'. Come in say, "I'm sorry for how things ended, and I'm here to make things right". Do this and 98% of the people still mad at you will forgive.

9. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

My thoughts are all over the place on this - and it leads me to agree with much in each of the above posts.

But, there are so many pitfalls to avoid in this situation that I'm ambivalent about a return.

Net-Net, #23 would have to come back and produce performances on the pitch. Even if he extends the olive branch to supporters/club, there's going to be a large contingent that will remain anti-Dempsey if he cannot perform during the loan, i.e., the "not Prem quality" squad. Heck, if Fulham bring him back and he does suck I'll be pissed too.

10. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Agreed. Nice summation Nev.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Everton weren't in a relegation battle. They needed an impetus and Donovan gave it. He helped make their season better, but a mid-table team trying to find its identity is somewhat different than a bottom feeder trying to stave off relegation.

12. AggieMatt

http://www.theguardian.com/football...usa?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Not seeing it anywhere else or here in the states, so could be nothing. However, the language is a bit more definitive than the usual rumor stuff you see.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Does the "source-twitterfeed" mean that they're basing their "news" on twitter?

14. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I have to think this is likely to happen since Ives is reporting it, albeit based on English media sources. However Ives is no dummy when it comes to this stuff. Would be nice to root for Clint again since I've been hatin' on him at Seattle. Mostly it would be nice to see him put things right with the club so he can have the legacy there that he deserves.
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/12/report-dempsey-return.html

15. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Ives is more reliable than most out there, but it is Dan Karell posting it on his site (so not Ives) and he is basing it off the same Guardian story that is linked above.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Ives is basing his story on English media sources? All the "English media sources" I've seen are referring to the Guardian article which is basing ITS story on "sources in the United States." I'll believe this when either the Sounders, MLS, or Fulham official site post it. Otherwise, I think it's still BS.

17. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

Saw this in the comments section of the story on Ives, and thought it was funny:

As the sun sets in Seattle a phone rings.
    “Hello?”
    “Clint….it’s me.”
    “Fulham? Wow…it’s been ages. How have you been?”
    “Oh, you know. Fine, I suppose,” Fulham replies after brushing aside a copy of the Premier League Table and glancing at the pile of empty Carlsburg bottles scattered around the sofa. “And how are you?”
    “Doing great! I’m with Seattle now. They had a big celebration when I arrived. We have loads of fans. If I squint I can almost feel like I’m back in England again."
    "So, you're doing well with them?"
    "Um...well...I scored..a goal. Had an assist too! And we won…did I tell you about the fans? Really wonderful with the flags and tifos and…”
    “Yeah, you mentioned the fans. Listen, Clint, to be honest, things haven’t gone well for me since you left. I think we were meant to be together! What do you think?”
    “Oh, Fulham, I can’t. What about Seattle? I have a contract.”
    “Then what about tonight? Can I at least see you tonight? It will be just like the old times!”
    “….ok. But, I really do have to be back by March…”

18. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

:lol: Brilliant. Thanks for posting JP.

19. AggieMatt

Where did it say that? My bad if I missed it as I don't think much of rumors on twitter.

20. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

It was in the URL and it was only up there as either you or wherever you got the link came from a twitter post. It is not saying their sources are from twitter, it saying the link came from a twitter account likely so they can keep track where the links/site traffic is coming from.