CRAFT BEER SURVEY!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by iced03, Feb 24, 2008.

1. iced03

iced03 New Member

Hey Fulham Fans! For one of my college classes, I am doing a project about Craft Beer. If possible, could you please fill out a very quick survey about craft beer? Here is the link:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=H ... ET8Q_3d_3d

Please only fill this out if you are legally allowed to drink alcoholic beverages.

(21+ USA) (18+ UK)

Thanks!

- Iced03

2. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Done. May I as what this is for?

3. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

It's obviously a project for either a marketing or demographics oriented class.

However, I have a problem with it. Craft Brewing is another term for Microbrewing. But that isnt explained in the survey, are we supposed to automatically connect the two terms, 'craft' being used regionally and microbrewing being the common term, nationally?

Another problem is the focus on Ithaca brewing.

While not being too much a beer drinker, I think I can safely say that only NE {Northeast US -pf} residents will ever have to make the decision on trying an Ithaca brand, as it's referred to.

As the 'microbrew wiki' says:
    For myself, a very occasional beer drinker, Sam Adams says it all. Why should I even plonk down my money to one of their competitors, when I want to reward Sam Adams for pioneering in the effort to bring some variety to our choices. My second choice is, of course Dos Equis, but mainly to show I know a real Mexican Production Beer, as opposed to those who drink the fashionable Corona.

5. jmh

jmh New Member

In addition to not being much of a beer drinker, you're not much on geography either - Ithaca is in central New York, not in New England. They make some good stuff, too - I recommend the Nut Brown.

The survey is pretty clearly about Ithaca Beer Company, though, and it was a bit misleading of iced03 to label it more broadly as about "craft beer".

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Iced, hope your marketing class goes well. Didn't know until reading replys (and before taking the survey) that "craft" is the same as microbrew , but obviously that was the whole point. As a marketing major in college myself, local companies would wisely use us for free research.

My recommendations is one tell Ithaca if they are looking to expand to drop the 'craft beer', that term has lost out to 'microbrew', and two tell people you're doing a research project based on a specific beer company, not a category of beer.

7. pettyfog

My fault... I meant NorthEast US, not NE. Yes, despite never having visited {because it's not on I 90} I knew approx where it was.

8. jmh

jmh New Member

My bad then - I guess "NE" could also be read to mean the northeast.

9. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

A genuine "craft beer" cannot go national like Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, or Pete's Wicked. My friend from college owns the St. Arnolds microbrew in Houston and he says they would have to change the way they brew their beer to distribute it nationally. Seems to ring true when you look at England, Europe, and longstanding regional microbrews in the US.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

right on, Mo! Which is why regardless of the quality of the pub or the professionalism of its staff, draft Guinness anywhere in the United States doesn't taste as good as draft Guinness in England. And draft Guinness in England doesn't taste NEARLY as good at it tastes in a pub in Ireland. [I've done extensive research on this.]

11. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

The ol' Guinness doesn't taste as good here as there statement...I used to believe this argument to be utter tripe...but, IT'S TRUE!!!!!!

On another note, I've been to the Sierra Nevada brewery many times, most times before they expanded nationally, and I couldn't taste the difference between then and now. However, I've been told my palate is unsophisticated...so I got that going for me, which isn't nice.

12. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

I know its a marketing class...I was a marketing major. I was just wondering what class it was, IMC, Direct Marketing, Buyer Behavior, Stats, and what the project was all about. The only class I did a survey in worth a damn was stats.

Also iced, how did you get a survey on that website? I can envision using it for my job. Did it cost you anything?

13. pettyfog

Not good here as there.. SO WHAT! Not startling but it works both ways,sometimes.

I never got into sampling 'BrewPub' product, especially while traveling. So I find one that's really great.. now what?

When I was younger I was disappointed to find that the closer I got to the Stroh's brewery, the worse the beer tasted. That's why Dearborn MI peeps could never figger out why it was the biggest seller in SW Ohio. I guessed that the trip down I-75 shook it down and 'aged it'.
    I was talked into trying Dos Equis in freakin' Ann Arbor Michigan. I loved it. So I could ALSO get it in Dayton, and yes it tastes even better in LA! But the point is it is pleasant to drink whereever I order it!!! And I can get it ALMOST ANYWHERE!

I was induced to trying Sam Adams in freakin DENVER! I liked it and I like it wherever I am.. though in LA I would buy PBR.

My point is... do YOU GUYS REALLY go to a pub to find the perfect beer? Or is all this just an excuse... you pretend you're an amateur Michael Jackson, to allow you lots of 'sampling', right?

heh...

14. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I used to brew my own beer when I was barely legal (sounds like the name of a nice magazine) because you couldnt get anything more exotic than Lowenbrau or Heinekin back then. I made some nice brews for a while but as my equipment developed its own special flora, my brews didnt taste so good.

Anyway Petty, I used to be able to taste the difference. As I get older, I cant as much. More and more, I prefer lighter flavored beers and consistent beers. Dos Equis ranks among them.

I think the "craft" and "microbrew" thing is more about the way they are produced. The brewmasters can taste the difference between batch brews and mass produced brews. They cant reproduce their craft brew taste in a mass production and distribution scale. And if they tried, the product would not be consistent. I think there are also economy of scale issues at play here too. It doesnt mean that mass produced beers cant be good and enjoyed. It is just that once you've created that craft brew taste, you cant consistently recreate it on a mass scale.

Many popular microbrews in the US have remained regional. That is for a reason. When I lived in England, the local pubs' pint offering changed from region to region. That is for a reason. All of these beers are appealing on a national or international scale; they dont make that leap because their process and therefore, their product would change.

My point is that craft beers' "unique" taste most likely wont survive the transition to large scale distribution. It doesnt mean that national brands cant have a good taste. And yes, people who want to enjoy a myriad of craft beer flavors are Michael Jackson wantabees.

15. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

It's funny you should bring that up Don, I worked with an Irishman while living in England and he told me the Guinness in Ireland had a better taste than what we got in the UK, I laughed at him until he brought some back from Dublin, them Irish might be thick but they sure know how to brew Guiness.

Happy Memoires

16. pettyfog

Sidenote: Back in the late sixties, I think, one of the guys I ran with used to go to KC, regularly. He'd take several cases of Stroh's out.. and bring back several cases of Coors. This was while both were regional.
    Coors survived, Stroh's didnt of course... but the upshot was some friends found Coors exotic. I didnt.. I thought it was crap then, I think it's crap now. And 'Coors Light' is an oxymoronic irony. The beer for people who dont like the taste of beer.

But something else just occurred to me. I've never been able to drink Miller products. I did drink a microbrew product once... where I immediately got the effect that I feared.. someone who tried to 'perfect the Miller edge' which is to say that unique 'hangover headache'. Not saying.. but just saying.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

In the early 80s, when I lived in Maryland, HatterMom was taking a course in San Angelo, TX. I said I would drive down and watch her graduation ceremony. She asked me to pick up two cases of Stroh's before I left, since one of the guys she was in school with couldn't get it in Colorado where he was living, and they didn't have it in Texas either. Ya see, in those days, Stroh's had the same deal that Coors had -- the product had to be refrigerated from brewery to retail dealer, and they didn't have a national delivery system. [For those of you under 35, that's why they made Smokey and the Bandit.]

Well, less than two miles from the campus, I pulled up next to a Stroh's delivery vehicle. Seems they had just struck a deal with Coors so that each brew could go national. As 'fog says, Coors has done fine and Stroh's has tanked. Of course, at that time, the #1 beer in the nation was Schlitz, so there you go.

Speaking of Coors, I'm with 'fog on this one. When I was a kid in West Texas and New Mexico, Coors was every highschooler's favorite brew. Why? Because it was so watered down that even a skinny runt like me could drink three without getting loaded. When I heard that they'd made Coors Light, I thought "hey, Joe has figured out how to sell carbonated water." I'm not saying that Coors Light tastes bad, I'm just saying that it should be half the price of other beers, since it's 50% more water than any other beer.

18. pettyfog

Of course you cant say it 'tastes bad', Distilled water doesnt taste bad, either.

But for more discriminating tastes and for those who have 'graduated Coors'... enter 'Corona'.

heh..

And BTW.. Stroh's tanked because they absorbed too many other brands and tried to cut corners to please everyone.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

HatterDon's oldest brother's Corona joke -- remember, we grew up on the border and knew which Mexican beers were good and which were crap: Someone sent Corona beer to a chemist to discern its "secret" ingredient. The lab sent back a note that read: "Sorry, your horse has diabetes."

20. iced03

iced03 New Member

Surveymonkey.com it was $20 for a survey with more than 10 questions. Also, this survey is for an IMC class