Copa America 2016

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Feb 22, 2016.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Thought there was a Copa thread, but couldn't find it. Watched the draw last night and initial thoughts were: Why do we insist on rolling out Alexis Lalas as the face of the sport? The guy was brought out as one of the 'legends' to be interviewed and to grab ping pong balls out of a fishbowl. To say he was a BUFFOON and an unfunny EMBARRASSMENT is an understatement of the highest order. Secondly, the US got by far the hardest draw with how the pots were set up. We got the best teams in pot 3 and 4, and arguably the best from pot 2 (even though a case can be made for any of the 3 between Columbia, Uruguay, and Chile) That said I wouldn't call it the Group of Death either. All credit to HD for posting this column on FB:

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2016/02/22/2016-copa-america-draw-there-is-no-group-of-death-usmnt-will-be-fine/?utm_network=facebook&utm_post=5185158&utm_source=FB - NBC Sports Soccer&utm_tags=srm[soccer,article]

Only thing I'd argue with the author about is Paraguay is better than Peru (did he really point to a 3rd place game??). Sorry, but Jamaica is either the 4th or 5th best team in Concacaf, not 2nd or 3rd.

We should be able to get out of that group, if not JK should be toast. However, a 2nd place showing will get Brazil who could roll out their U13 squad and win that group.

HatterDon and nevzter like this.
  2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

6/3/16 - US v. Colombia in Santa Clara and I am stoked. I will not miss that scene and look forward to attending a USMNT "competitive" match in my backyard. And I agree with SCJ, the draw is manageable but second place may be all the US achieves (as history demonstrates, the US can lose to any of the other three countries on any given day), and if 2nd it is, losing (and/or winning in "Miracle on Ice" fashion) against Brazil in the knockout rounds of a major tournament is not shameful.

Imagine Lalas with the "Do you believe in miracles? Yes!!!" call - :p

SoCalJoe likes this.
  3. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Got to be honest folks. I'm not sure I care about this tournament, other than it being played in the good ol' US of A. A quick check on wiki revealed this: the highest finishing CONMEBOL country HAS THE OPTION of participating in the next Confederations Cup. So even if, by some miracle, we were to win the damn thing, what do we get? The big piece of chicken? Somebody help me out here. Educate me on why else I should give a damn about this competition?

4. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

As the great Spicoli once stated: "I don't know."

For me, it's a formal tournament with top-class players involved (most likely) and the US has a chance to participate in world cup type settings. I enjoy watching the Copa America whenever it comes around.

jumpkutz likes this.
  5. SoCalJoe

James, let me know if any of these reasons work;

• Messi will be playing in this country in meaningful matches.
    • Brazil will be here not for a friendly, not to sell shirts, but to actually play.
    • Messi will be here.
    • James Rodriguez will be playing in the US against the US.
    • Messi won't be here just to make commercials with Kobe.
    • Every US player will want to be on this roster as much as any WC.
    • Did I mention Lionel Messi is coming and playing for keeps?
    • This is arguably the 2nd or 3rd most important tournament in the World along with the WC and the Euros.
    • As far as Confed Cup, the US had not one but 2 chances to get the big piece of chicken and blew it.
    • If we were to even reach the Final it would be the greatest accomplishment by a country mile in our history.
    • It's the most important soccer event held here to happen for the men's game since 1994.
    • JK's job is on the line IMO, we go crashing out in the group stage...he is as good as gone.
    • Oh and Messi is putting on the Argentina kit and playing in a stadia near you.

encorespanish and jumpkutz like this.
  6. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

CONMEBOL is celebrating their 100 years of Copa America by doing a cash grab in the US. If there wasn't a 100 year anniversary there normally wouldn't be a Copa America this summer as they normally only do it every four years and they had it last year.

7. jumpkutz

I'll admit the prospect of seeing Messi is tempting, although if it's not in Chicago, he might as well be at the Nou Camp. Don't see myself springing for tix anywhere other than Soldier Field, if that. Philly and Jersey are the only other possibilities for me, but not realisitically. Brazil? Maybe, just to see Neymar. James Rodriguez? Meh. The best Americans? Only if Deuce is involved. It's not bigger than the Euros in my book, so the third most important tournament on the planet doesn't really excite me. And I no longer think it matters much whether or not Herr Klinsmann survives until Russia '18. Guess that leaves Messi in Chicago. We'll see.

8. jumpkutz

I just looked at the ticket prices for Chicago. The cheapest nosebleeds are $280 BEFORE fees, etc. Not looking likely...at all.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The way we really determine whether we're regressing or progressing is through tournaments. I don't think this one is as important as the Gold Cup, but I'm tired of everyone [not on this site, mind you] getting all wet and runny every time we beat a European or South American side while we get eliminated from the Gold Cup by Inner Silesia. Let's see if we can get to a semi-final in a serious tournament. If we don't -- FIRE JK!

nevzter likes this.
  10. SoCalJoe

@jumpkutz, the US v Costa Rica in Chicago start at $81. Argentina v Panama start at $113. It's when you buy the entire venue pass that it gets really pricey. www.ticketsnow.com

jumpkutz likes this.
  11. jumpkutz

Oh. That's very different. Never mind...

Anybody wanna go see Messi?

12. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

entertaining thread. at least for one who likes to compare opinions, on things like this, from one decade to the next.
    Lalas is still a poopy-face clown. AND 'If ____ cant get us to the Semi's he should be fired!'
    "The more things change..."
    ;)