Concacaf WC Qaulifying

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Nov 14, 2016.

1. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I am not saying I agree with it but his job is through the 2018 World Cup and he knows he is likely not going to be the coach after that. All he cares about is qualifying for the World Cup and doing well in that tournament.

I get it from his side even though it might not be the best thing long term.

jumpkutz likes this.
  2. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Which begs the question...what IS the best thing for the long term?

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'll start the list with this: Stop tying the growth of MLS with that of the USMNT. For every US international fed from birth in MLS we've got a half-dozen or more CONCACAF players developing their games here. I have ZERO problem with this. It just means better football for all of us. We just have to unlink success in one with success in the other.

4. jumpkutz

I might agree with you if I knew what that looked like. What does unlinking success of one from the other look like? And I'll add number 2: fire Sunil Gulati. It's time for fresh blood at USSF. Recycling Bruce Arena was a colossal, backwards mistake. We have a lot of fresh, young futbol minds in this country. It's time to start utilizing them, along with the fresh, young talent. You'll not convince me that our most recent call-ups are the best we have to offer. Scour the planet. Beat the bushes. Who knows where the next kid honing his considerable talent in a trailer park field in East Texas might be?

encorespanish and nevzter like this.
  5. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

You know how we always hear US players/coaches/announcers state that WCQ is a grind. Every match is tough. Win at home, draw away. I feel like it has been beat into our heads (certainly theirs).

I am quite surprised at the positivity (Lalas comments aside) that was reported after the Honduras draw. We played horribly and got a lucky bounce in the last 6 minutes, but most of the stories had a theme of "job accomplished".

My question here is do all teams feel that way? I can't imagine that the Mexican players/coaches/announcers feel like away to Honduras or Panama is a game where they'll "grind out a point". I realize that we are not more skilled than Mexico, but I'm starting to think that we're going into these matches with a mental disadvantage. (It certainly doesn't help when the manager's tactics emphasize this point as well.) Will we ever get to a point where we should expect to kick the shit out of T&T or Jamaica or some other top ten CONCACAF side no matter where the match is held?

encorespanish, jumpkutz and nevzter like this.
  6. jumpkutz

So, you're suggesting number 3 on the list of US Soccer's best thing for the long term would be to play to win every match, even the ones on the road? They (whoever the mysterious "they" are) would probably tell you that we DO play to win every match. They'd be lying.

encorespanish likes this.