CONCACAF Playoff - Mexico v. US

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by nevzter, Sep 15, 2015.

1. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

The words most frequently yelled at the TV here: "Pass the ball to someone on your own team dammit."

2. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Exactly. Mexico played a lot of crisp clean passes while we had so many underhit, erratic ones. And Jozy should never attempt another backheel. He's embarrassingly bad at them.

3. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Was disappointed at the way we sat back like minnows and allowed them to dictate the style and pace of the game, especially in the second half. Dempsey and Altidore might as well have been midfielders. We gave them no chance to play their games. When we did manage to get possession, well, see the articulate TV response from the right honourable gentlemen previous. Frustrating to see at this stage of the Klinsmann Era. Not sure we're progressing under his watch now.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Our approach to that game was disgusting. Mexico were without their most effective striker, and had Grandma Moses in the middle of their midfield. There was no reason to cower in our half for 120 minutes as if we were facing Barcelona. The entire match was a offense v. defense half-court drill for the Mexican strikers and attacking midfielders. I read that they had 64% possession, but what I'd really like to know is how much of the match was played in our half. I'd guess 75-80%. This is unacceptable against an opponent we've handled so easily at home.

Since the World Cup, Klinsmann's tactics and player selection have gotten more and more bizarre. Jermaine Jones was visibly gassed after 75 minutes, and a fresh Danny Williams -- who scored in his last appearance -- was ignored while Jones gave away possession constantly. Beckerman -- who shouldn't have been in the squad at all -- forced Jones out of his position, I guess, but if you'e going to have two midfield destroyers in your squad, why do you stick one out on the wing for 120 minutes?

And why do you have Zardes in the squad and have him spend the entire evening defending? When Johnson ventured up the right wing, Zardes dropped back to make sure that the number of negative footballers rooted in our half didn't drop.

The only footballer who actually shone for the US was Geoff Cameron -- FINALLY playing in CB with Besler. He was easily our man of the match.

All five goals were well taken, but the gutless, cowardly football we displayed last night in a match we could have easily bossed, hurt a hell of a lot more than even losing a REAL match to El Tri.

The Klinsmann era should end before next Sunday. Here's MLS's take on this.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/...-cost-jurgen-klinsmann-3-2-usmnt-loss-mexico?

encorespanish, pettyfog and jumpkutz like this.
  5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

When the JK era is over his record will be filled tons of great moments and results. However, as was the case with Arena & Bradley 1 WC cycle is the tipping point. Going to be a very bumpy ride to even get to Russia.

dcheather likes this.
  6. jumpkutz

Spot on about Cameron, Don. Couldn't agree more. And now that Klinsmann's jettisoned half the squad, might we see he and Ream together for Tuesday's "friendly" against the Bryan Ruiz's?" Oh, and did anybody see who scored for Greece today against Hungary? Mitroglu AND Stafylidis. Makes me want to puke.....

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Speaking of, who the hell is Andrew Wooten? I mean, I've Googled him and I know he's a semi-regular for Sandhausen FC [BL2], but why now? And why not experienced strikers in MLS who are having decent seasons and have full US caps?

8. tim

tim Active Member

Spot on on all counts, Don. I didn't like Jones in a wide position at the start, let alone after 120 minutes. You could say Jozy and Clint both had bad games, but they were set up to fail by the tactics employed. And all due respect, I wouldn't have been upset if Beasley had remained retired.

I have a hard time reconciling JK's talk with his actions. As much as he talks about youth and letting our players express themselves, he sends out the senior citizens and has them defend in our own half for the entire match.

Big picture - we've had some decent wins in friendlies, but in meaningful matches, JK has failed pretty consistently. Not that I was his biggest supporter before, but add me to the chorus singing for his dismissal now.

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I agree with Joe, no coach should go on to more than one WC cycle. Here's an old post of mine from 2010 saying that:
    http://www.fulhamusa.com/threads/the-next-usmnt-manager.8737/#post-102121

@tim, it's funny you mention JK has failed pretty consistently in meaningful matches. But his win percentage in meaningful games is actually ahead of both Arena and Bradley. It certainly doesn't feel that way though with recent results.

[​IMG]

He has far fewer meaningful matches than Arena and just 7 fewer matches than Bradley. Arena does have a slightly better overall win percentage over all games.

[​IMG]

Thing is though, Klinsmann is not going anywhere unless there are changes or discontent on USSF board. I'm pretty much guessing that if Sunil is safe and secure in his position, Klinsmann is staying put. He's gone at the first trouble during WCQ though...at least I hope so.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  10. jumpkutz

Certainly was true for Vincente del Bosque, wasn't it? I thought sure Spain would repeat after 2010's result. Didn't even get out of the group stage, thanks in large part to several howlers from the overrated Iker Casillas.

11. jumpkutz

BUT!!! This WAS a sweet pass by Yedlin...and perfect run by Bobby. Textbook. I could watch it over and over....

12. ChicagoCottager

ChicagoCottager Active Member

Chiming in a bit late here, but I agree with just about everything that's been said in the aftermath of this game. The biggest disappointment for me in this game was Altidore and Dempsey up top. They just gave us absolutely nothing. No possession, no creativity, no hold up play, now incisive runs, no defending from the front, NOTHING. Our movement off the ball was poor all over the field, but it was especially evident in those two. As a result, when we did win possession we were forced into difficult passes and long balls.

I think the days of playing Altidore and Dempsey up top needs to come to an end, they're just far too immobile, and that was evident when Wood came on. I think the jury's still very much out on Wood, but he does bring energy and makes the defense at least track his runs, and it was paid off with a goal.

If I was US Soccer, I would send Klinsmann packing, hire Tab Ramos, and starting bringing through the next generation ASAP. If we want young players like Emerson Hyndman, Matt Miazga, Gedion Zelalem, Will Trapp, Jordan Morris, Rubio Rubin, etc. to be ready for the next WC, they need to be involved with the squad as soon as possible. Why not give the players the continuity of hiring a guy they've all played under, and by most reports has done a very good job.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Tab Ramos was one of my first favorite USMNT players, but I'm not sure I would put him in charge just yet. US Soccer should just go ahead and name the coach I recommended in the 2010 post above, it's time now. :D

14. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Good comments. Jeez, I didn't think anybody else watched the match (then I recalled that lives outside of FUSA take place).

JK won't be fired over this, and if he is, then I will celebrate my incorrect statement. Lack of pace and continuity were problems for the US. Neither Dempsey or Altidore are burners, and while I like Beckerman (to an extent), he runs around in shoe boxes. That leaves one of the quickest players for the US stranded out on the wing (Zardes), another on the opposite side that has good pace (Jones) and Bradley to run his ass off just for the US to remain 'in the match.'

Mexico was definitely better overall, but the US blew a great opportunity.

The trigger finger must be itchy for Roman at Chelsea and if it goes down, I will dream that the US hire Jose Mourinho and move JK to strictly a director position. However, I don't think an office space throughout the country could handle the initial meetings between those two egos...maybe they could schedule those meetings at "The" Horseshoe, Levi Stadium or Chavez Ravine...

In any event, and while my son was distraught over the loss, the US still has talent to dominate in CONCACAF, but hasn't utilized it properly in the past two years. Again, that responsibility should fall on the manager...paging the Special One.

15. ChicagoCottager

@dcheather So you'd go for Roberto Martinez? I don't think he would leave Everton for us. He seems to like the day-to-day work of a club job.

@nevzter For entertainment purposes Mourinho would be amazing, but there's no way that happens. He's another that loves the day-to-day player interactions too much to leave the club game. Plus, don't think there's enough money at US Soccer to make this happen. We don't have the pockets that Chelski do.

I'm dreaming a bit here since I don't think JK is going anywhere, but if I had to put together a shortlist, here are a few names I'd have on it.
    • Peter Vermes - All he's done a SKC is turn a struggling franchise into a model of American soccer clubs. I'm not saying he's done it by himself, but his teams over the last few years have been about as consistently competitive as is possible in a league with so much parity.
    • Tab Ramos - Though he doesn't have the experience of some others, Ramos has gotten good results with the US youth teams he's coached, including a very good showing at the U20 WC this year losing to eventual champs Serbia in penalties (and playing an exciting brand of soccer). I think if maintaining continuity is important within US Soccer, Ramos might be the guy.
    • Ben Olsen - Like Ramos, he doesn't have a ton of experience, but what he's done after a tough start at DC has been really impressive. Part of me thinks it's too soon for Olsen, but part of me thinks a young guy with his charisma could really be galvanizing for a group of players in transition.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  16. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I know it's very unlikely Roberto Martinez would leave, but it doesn't hurt to ask. :)

When you described Tab Ramos, I think you just described Kit. I think if Kit has shown in the past year or so is that it's a bit of a leap from the youth set-up to the men's team.

And Benny isn't ready either for the big stage either. DC plays a very simple game (aka Benny-ball) and for the most part have had some success in the MLS with it, but I don't see that translating to success at the international level.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

This guy Bradley seems to be doing well in Scandihoovia. He might be worth a try.

18. ChicagoCottager

Both very fair points.

Rehiring Bradley would seem an awful lot like Brazil rehiring Dunga. Safe, but not at all sexy.

19. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Perhaps in a few years time...I would like to see him at a bigger club. Plus, I don't think I can tolerate the "he's only playing because he's Bob's son," again (so perhaps once Michael retires and be Bob's assistant).