College Hoops '13-'14

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by jumpkutz, Dec 28, 2013.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Is it time for a NCAA tourney bracket for FulhamUSA? Who's up for some bragging rights?

I'll set up a pool via yahoo if there is interest.

2. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Sure, I'm in.

On a side note, I won't be traveling to cover any of the tournament this year. Probably a good thing, since I'm leaving for London the evening of the national championship game! I don't expect any of our teams to be there. Louisville has the best chance, but they're just not as good as last year's team, and the committee didn't do them any favors with seeding or region. Kentucky actually got a better draw than the Cards did, but I don't think they've improved enough to get past the third round, if that far. But if they do, watch out. It means that Cal has found the light switch, and with that kind of talent and his track record, they could surprise some people. Eastern Kentucky will lose to Kansas in the first round in St. Louis.
    Overall, I really like 'Zona and Florida. They've been the two most impressive, consistent teams I've seen this season. It's never easy to be one of the favorites in a single elimination tournament, but I'll be stunned if one of these teams isn't playing in Dallas on April 7th.
    The trick to this thing is: a) picking the first round upsets. I still don't think a 16 is gonna beat a 1 seed this year, though many are predicting it. I'll go with Western Michigan over Syracuse in Buffalo.
    b) picking the sleeper. Last year, it was Wichita State. This year? How about Texas? (sorry Matt). They've had some huge wins, including some big ones on the road, and Rick Barnes has made a nice comeback after a few down seasons. The few times I've seen them, I really liked their team and the way they played. I think it's a squad built for a tournament like this.

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Jump, if you're in should you be giving away your trade secrets in picking the bracket? ;)

Here's the link:

http://y.ahoo.it/iSIAfqUv
    password: fulhamusa2014 (I can't remeber if the F is in caps or not)

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I'm in as well Heather. Hope you're right Jump about Arizona. Still a little concerned about the team's achilles heel which is at the free throw line (went 6 of 16 against UCLA). They will have their hands full in a probable second round match against Ok.State. Fingers crossed they at least get to the Sweet 16 since it will be in Anaheim, which 15 minutes straight south from my house.

Was really surprised that the entire espn expert crew (5 different people) has Sparty taking it all.

5. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

[cue Dick Vitale voice] Coastal Carolina, baby! [/cue Dick Vitale voice]

My alma mater is going dancing for the third time ever and first since 1993 (two years before I attended).

I honestly haven't followed basketball in years, but I'll jump in on the brackets. It always makes an already thrilling tournament that much more exciting.

6. SoCalJoe

Congrats Evan on Coastal Carolina getting in, it's tough being from a conference that only rewards the tourney champ. Brackets are a complete crapshoot no matter if you've been following or not.

7. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

tried to join in. do i have to create a yahoo account or did i push the wrong button? :character-oldtimer:

8. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I think so.

9. SoCalJoe

Mo, I think you have to create a yahoo account. Couldn't get to the bracket until I signed in. The first week is all about trying to figure out who is going to pull off the upset, because the cream generally rises to the top in week 2.

Upset Alert: Always look at the 5 seed v 12 seed matchup since at least 1 #12 has won every year since they went to 64 teams (not uncommon for more than 1).

#12 North Dakota State v #5 Oklahoma. NDSU was a 15 seed a couple of years and took Kansas to the buzzer. The Sooners better be ready.

#12 Harvard v #5 Cincinnati. Harvard won a game last year as a #14 seed and are a senior oriented bunch.

#12 Stephen A Austin v #5 VCU. VCU is longer the hunter, can they handle being the favorite? SFA has only 2 losses on the season.

#12 Either NC State or Xavier v #5 St.Louis. NCSt plays Xavier in one of these 'play-in games, both of whom have a ton of tradition and the winner gets an overrated St. Louis squad.

Super Upset Alert (higher than a 12 seed that will give a top 4 seed heartburn maybe even pull off a shocker).

#14 Mercer v #3 Duke. Mercer is from the same conference as Florida Gulf Coast, who went to the Sweet 16 last year. Throw in that Duke has either lost (Lehigh) or been given a good opening round game (Albany & Belmont) in recent years, so don't be surprised if this is close w/a few minutes left.

#14 UL Lafayette v #3 Creighton. I have Creighton winning a few games, but they are so dependent on McDermott that an off shooting night spells trouble for a team not known for playing defense.

#16 Coastal Carolina v #1 Virginia :shock: Ok, no #16 team has ever beaten a #1, but WTH, let's cheer for astroevan's school. Don't think it will happen, but Virginia plays a real deliberate style so if CC can shoot the 3-ball well they can hang in there.

10. encorespanish

encorespanish Active Member

I'm in as well. Now to go win my BILLION dollars over at Warren Buffet's bracket challenge... :dance:

11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Me too. I'm thinking all sorts of ways to use that Billion. :lol:

12. jumpkutz

I did a search tonight to see if anyone has certifiably picked a perfect bracket...ever. The answer, as far as can be determined, is no. Therefore, if you believe all the online prognostications, Mr. Buffett's billion is quite safe. As for my trade secrets, they've never amounted to a hill of beans in any of my feeble attempts to win a pool. I'm oh for eternity, so my secrets aren't so secret...or foolproof, unfortunately. But that won't stop me from trying.

13. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

I'm in. not sure the rest of you need to even play at this point. i already have the perfect bracket out there.

14. SoCalJoe

15. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Sure glad Dayton held on to cost me my chance at 1 billion dollars. :doh:

16. jumpkutz

There goes 80% of the brackets. Like I said, Mr. Buffett's billion is quite safe indeed.

17. SoCalJoe

Had Dayton, Harvard, and North Dakota State on my billion dollar bracket, but 'Oh the Horror' of NC State at the free throw line, way to blow a 14 point lead w/5 left. My FUSA bracket sweated out Louisville's back and forth game with Manhattan (the Pitino protege coaching Manhattan will be in high demand).

18. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

There's still a chance at 100k, Joe.

19. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I've actually had good success in bracket pools lately with a win 5 years ago and a couple of 2nds since. However, I have no confidence in this bracket. Many of the underdogs I liked got bad draws and a number of the higher seeds I don't like for deep runs got favorable draws.

Like most, Dayton dashed my billion dollar delusions right out of the gate. Then I watched upset pick St Joe's just hand the game to UConn, NC St gack up a big lead at the charity stripe (guess there's no statute of limitations on karma) and Chokelahoma live up to their name against ND St. I should have known better on that last one though.

Lower seeds I got right, Pitt and Harvard. Whiffed with St Joe's, NC St and NM St, all 3 of which went to OT. Manhattan darn near put my bracket in the morgue as I have the Cards losing to Florida in the final.

If recent history is any indicator, this should be the bigger upset day. The question is who will it be? I've got 14-2 chalk today, so I'm not seeing it.

In my roundabout path to a bachelor's degree, I logged 32 hours at SFA, which was 20 minutes up the street from my hometown. So while I didn't pick them, I will be rooting for the Jacks to pull the upset.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Love to see NC State, Duke, and UNC struggling. That's what you get for not picking the mighty Terps.

Oh, and no matter how much you're suffering tonight, it could be worse … you could be rooting for Cal Poly.