College Football 2016-2017

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SoCalJoe, Aug 26, 2016.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

A couple of the power 5 conferences might not have a chair once the music stops come playoff time;

Pac 12: All eggs in the UDub basket. One Husky loss and the conference is done.

Big 12: You know the committee wants no part of Baylor and were quietly celebrating their loss. WVU has a long way back, and will need a ton of help besides running the table.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    encorespanish likes this.
  2. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Louisville fans are PO'ed that the Cards are only 7th in the first playoff rankings, but I don't know what their beef is. All the teams ahead of them deserve to be, and there's still a lot of football left to be played.
    IF they win out and Lamar doesn't get hurt, some of the teams currently in front of them are bound to falter. If Lamar continues performing at his current level, he'll win the Heisman and be a big draw for the TV folks. But until someone proves that Alabama can be significantly scored upon, all this is academic.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  3. SoCalJoe

Spot on James, Cards fans unhappy need to realize squeaking by Duke on national TV, and escaping cellar dweller Virginia the week the first vote comes out means they should be happy at #7, there will be more than 1 team losing ahead of them. Which leads me to this:

FUSA Special:
    #7 Louisville @jumpkutz at Boston College @jimsig. BC is a Jekyll and Hyde team, will the Eagles be the team that won at NC State last game or the one that lost to Syracuse at home the game before? Chestnut Hill has seen it's fair share of upsets, but not this week.

Game of the Week:
    #1 Alabama at #13 LSU; The Tigers are feeling better about themselves and Death Valley is no joke, but Bama's D should once again rise up. Until a team wins the turnover battle and/or not let the Tide score on defense or special teams there is little chance of an upset. The Tide keeps rolling.

#4 Texas A&M at Mississippi State; Matt's boys were the surprise of the vote, but in my mind still don't control their own destiny. If Washington wins out, they'll jump the Aggies. However, if A&M wins out, their chances are very good since 1 or 2 of the teams in the Top 5 will lose. Dak Prescott if anything was underrated for MSU. One great QB can indeed lift a whole program. Aggies too much for the Cowbells.

#10 Nebraska at #6 Ohio State; The Buckeyes looked like the only team that could hang with Alabama, but have come back to earth. The Corn played well against Whisky even though they came up short. OSU will win again, but it could be another struggle.

Upset Alert:
    #18 Oklahoma State at Kansas State; Not much of an upset, but I like KState in Manhattan.

#5 Washington at Cal; UDub should win easily, but this is a classic trap game. The Huskies beat Utah last week and have a showdown with rejuvenated USC next. Cal will attempt to make it a shootout.

Who's #17?

4. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I figured the Committee would put a one loss team ahead of Washington given their overly weak strength of schedule to date. But I figured that team would be Ohio St with their road wins over Oklahoma & Wisconsin. I'll take my Ags there instead, but it's really irrelevant given how much weight they give to conference champs. Louisville has nothing to complain about, imo.

Louisville @ BC - LOL. BC is punchless and they're catching the 24.5 pt favored Cards on the wrong week. Not sure there's a right week for them to pull that upset anyway.

Alabama @ LSU - LSU gets their reality check this week. They're getting credit for fixing the offense but they've played 2 teams with really bad defenses & So Miss since Miles left. The Death Valley factor might keep it respectable, but I doubt that even happens. This could wind being a "winner gets the LSU job" situation with Orgeron & Kiffin.

A&M @ Mississippi St - State has a good dual threat qb & a good wr, but there's not much more beyond that. Their defense gave up 41 pts last week vs FCS Samford. They might put 3-4 tds up against us, but that's only about half of what they'll need.

Nebraska @ Ohio St - I'm not sold on either of these teams at the moment, but the game is in the Shoe, so I'll take the Buckeyes.

Upset Alert - I considered UDub @ Cal for the reasons Joe mentioned. I also considered the tried and true #17 pick, which is Baylor this week. Any other year and I would be all over that pick but this year's TCU team doesn't impress me. Especially with our old reject, drunk qb at the helm. Instead I'm taking my favorite B1G disruptor.

Wisconsin @ Northwestern - Wisconsin has played well in some tight, high profile home games, but I like Pat's Purple Cats as a 7 pt dog at home to pull the upset.

5. SoCalJoe

Matt, sorry about the Aggies, they appeared to come out really flat (didn't see any of the second half). I know you aren't the type to call out the officials (or in this case the replay refs), but there was a sequence (think it was 14-7) where the refs spotted the ball a good 2 yards behind where the Aggie player landed and instead of a first down, it was fourth and short and they punted it to MSU. Who then hit a bomb on the first play to go up 14. There was no excuse for the replay refs not to buzz the head official on that and it sucks that the coach couldn't throw a challenge flag.

6. AggieMatt

Yep, tough loss for my Ags. Came out and played the worst half of defense I've seen from us since Tuscaloosa 2 years ago (59-0). Then just as Knight got hot we lost him to injury. If only one of either of those happens we most likely escape with a W.

The 17 streak continued as well with TCU giving Baylor a massive dose of karma. I should have stuck with it. So with that said...

Upset pick - #17 UNC @ Duke - Give me the Dookies as 11 pt home dogs tonight.

I'll make the rest of my picks tomorrow.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  7. SoCalJoe

Matt, I know you were bummed the curse of the Billy Goat finally wore off, but the curse of #17 is alive and well...Duke 28 #17 UNC 27 :eek:

Not the deepest of schedules this week from a matchup standpoint. Also would love to hear from @Dynamo & @astroevan on how their seasons are going at NCC & Coastal.

FUSA Special:
    #12 Colorado @dtowndough at Arizona; Sigh...My Cats didn't quite cover as we lost by a mere 62 last week in Pullman (69-7). The little talent we had on defense is lost to injury and the backup QBs who've had to play have one little problem..they can't pass! Buffs will roll.

#16 West Virginia at Texas. Interesting game. Texas is playing better, and another win could start the save Charlie campaign. If WVU can win here and then next week in their showdown with the Sooners, they'd jump way up in the standings. Will take the Mountaineers to take care of business here, but barely.

#24 LSU at #25 Arkansas. LSU went toe to toe will Bama, but the resurrection of their offense was indeed overstated. The motto for the Hogs should be changed from Pig Suey to Pig Cybill. They lost to Auburn by 53 then turn around and beat Florida by 3 TDs. Have no idea which Arky team will show, but will take the home team.

#20 USC at #4 Washington. USC changed QBs to the kid Darnold and they proceeded to take off. UDub handled their business quite nicely in Berkeley last week and Husky Stadium will be a madhouse. Can't go against the Dawgs, even though many people like the Trojans chances.

Upset Alert:
    My bad for not noticing #17 was playing on Thurs:mad:.

#10 Penn State @americanmike (I think he was a PSU grad, besides he promised to post more :cool:) at Indiana @BarryWhite; The Nittany Lions beat Ohio State, and I do like their coach, but I still think they are a tad overrated. Indiana is a solid team and credit goes to their coach Kevin Wilson for getting them back on track to make a bowl game after a couple tough losses.

AggieMatt likes this.
  8. AggieMatt

Lol! Yep, the 17 streak is now at 8. In 6 of those, 17 lost to an unranked or lower seed. The last 17 to win? A&M in week 3 over Arkansas. It's a really crazy little statistical quirk to this season.

My Aggies play Ole Miss this week in a game where both teams lost their starting qb's for the season last week. Our backup is more experienced and they've been poor against the run. However after the defense I saw last week, I'll be nervous about this one until it's over.

Colorado @ Arizona - At least hoops season has arrived for the kids in Tuscon. No contest, Buffs roll. Starting to wonder if either of the Arizona coaching seats are heating up?

West Virginia @ Texas - Another long road trip and early start for the 'Eers. It didn't go well last time. The Horn run game has really taken off in recent weeks, but that was against Baylor & Tech. Still, I'll go with Texas here.

LSU @ Arkansas - You nailed it with Pig Cybill, Joe.:) The Hogs have sttuggled to stop the run this year (we went over 300 on them). But the Tigers have about a .375 winning pct in the games after Bama in recent years. This is a toss up for me but I think LSU is ripe for a letdown after last week's effort and Arky is at home. I'll take Pig.

USC @ Washington - The Trojans are the most talented team the Huskies will have faced to date, even if they aren't the best team. Lack of discipline usually hurts you on the road, plus I really want to believe in the Snarlin Pups of Montlake...UDub wins.

9. encorespanish

encorespanish Active Member

Big game in Lincoln on Saturday night, but I'm less than hopeful that my Gophers keep it within a touchdown. We went down there and beat the Huskers 2 years ago, but that was a much different Huskers team. Hopefully they are all tired out from their Wisconsin/Ohio State road trips!

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Got to the venue for my gig last night and the television had the Ohio State v. Maryland game. Now I haven't seen the Terps on the tube for a few years, so I decided to watch as I was setting up. Well, it was ugly -- something like 58-3. I watched the clock tick down and then, to my horror, discovered that the game wasn't over -- only the third quarter. Thankfully, somebody came and changed the channel. Sigh.

11. jumpkutz

Joe, you were almost right on Penn State-Indiana. The Hoosiers are better, just not quite ready for prime time. Kentucky's brief run to respectability has stalled against Georgia and Tennessee. They should beat Austin Peay to become bowl eligible, but about the only thing they've truly accomplished this season is saving Mark Stoops' job. Louisville tried to choke against Wake Forest at home, treated the pigskin like a lump of burning coal, fumbling multiple times in the first half. Each time, however, the D held the Deacs to a field goal, and they roared away in the 4th to a 44-12 win. Lost in all the Heisman hoopla for Lamar Jackson, is the fact that they've got lots of options offensively, Brandon Radcliff just one among many. And the defense is somewhat underrated. There are a couple of NFL prospects there, including Keith Kelsey, who may be a first rounder. They should win out, making Cardinal fans put hoops on the backburner for a while longer.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  12. SoCalJoe

@HatterDon, the Terps are sigh worthy (my team is a dumpster fire as well), but I believe you also received a degree from Troy, who has moved into the AP Top 25, after clinching their conference and going 8-1 thus far (only loss was 6 points at Clemson in a back and forth game).

Every season there is a weekend or even two where all hell breaks loose at the top of the polls. Tbh, was in downtown LA at a beer festival w/the Missus and didn't see a second of a game. So only a couple quick thoughts:

Said before Clemson is the kid that has been chasing a balloon near a cliff. You can't play in that many close ones and not eventually lose.

Washington was a team regarded as a year away, but I'm happy I didn't see my parents alma mater lose to SC.

@LaxAttack I don't know about you Matt, but if you told me before the game that Iowa would score 14 points, I'd say that would be at least a 10 point win for Michigan, great win for your Hawkeyes! By far the biggest shocker for me given the final score.

@AggieMatt To answer your questions. I don't know about the Scummies (even though they have a history of pulling the trigger on a coach), but RichRod is save for now. The team had zero depth at the most important positions (both lines, qb, rb) and have been decimated in those spots to the point of starting 3rd/4th stringers and walk-ons. Add in that he has by far the best recruiting class coming in, and his seat won't heat up until next year.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    HatterDon likes this.
  13. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

Somehow CU just keeps on winning and the offense showed up this week! Now for an exciting last two games, both at home! Wash St and Utah. Win out and CU goes from 1 conference win to Rose Bowl?????

SoCalJoe likes this.
  14. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

@SoCalJoe I've been spread a bit thin lately and haven't been keeping up very well. Coastal is doing very well despite a rash of injuries. Three QBs have had season ending injuries and the top two RBs have missed a combined 11 games. They're currently ranked 16 in the STATS FCS Top 25 and have an 8-2 record. Their two losses were a one point loss to #2 Jacksonville St and another one point loss (in triple overtime) to #14 Charleston Southern. They're last two games are at home - first against rival Liberty and then a random game against Hampton scheduled for the opening week of the FCS Playoffs (I guess that's what happens when you're an independent and ineligible for the playoffs). I was hoping for last run at a title, but... oh well, we still have our baseball team! ;)

SoCalJoe likes this.
  15. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I thought Iowa was going to get murdered on Saturday. They looked like a team who quit on the season against Penn State. But they brought their big boy pants on Saturday.

16. SoCalJoe

Will get to the rest of the picks tomorrow, but it all came crumbling down in Houston for Jump's Louisville. Had no idea that the Cards led the nation in fumbles coming in and sooner or later that will come back to haunt. The game got out of hand and was over by the half. Last week's upheaval rolls into this week as teams seem to be hurting their cause more than helping it.

17. jumpkutz

Yup. Screwed the pooch. There was a time here when people were just happy to make a bowl game. The bar is definitely higher now.

18. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Here is my only college football prediction; (because after rinsing I can repeat it over and over again) IU will scare the crap out of Michigan fans before coming up just short and losing to the Wolverines.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  19. SoCalJoe

It looks like the playoffs are shaping as Alabama and the 3 backup singers. That said, get in and anything can happen. Not much of a lineup this week before some big ones upcoming.

FUSA Specials (because they'll likely be in attendance):

#9 Oklahoma at #14 West Virginia; OU were big winners last night as their Houston loss looks better, and if they go undefeated in the Big 12 combined with their blue blood status they have a chance. The Mountaineers have only one loss, a win here and they'll leapfrog a bunch of teams, and put themselves squarely in the discussion. Going to pick the Sooners for no other reason than not to give the Kiss of Death to WVU @FulhamDC.. you're welcome

#22 Washington State at #10 Colorado; @dtowndough All the years of you going up to Folsom Field and it won't be any bigger than this Sat. for the Buffs. Leach has his latest record breaking QB in Luke Falk, but they suffered a big loss when Falk's go to guy River Craycroft went down last week. It would not be a surprise if these 2 meet again in a couple weeks in the Pac 12 Title game. Going CU in what should be a great game.

Plus;

Northwestern @tim at Minnesota @encorespanish From the sounds of it from ES you'd think the Gophers were 3-7 not 7-3. Will take the Gophers at home..you're welcome Tim.

#23 Florida at #16 LSU; First team to 13 wins. Bayou Bengals at home

Rivalries starting up out here:

#13 USC at UCLA; USC is red hot while the Bruins have suffered through a miserable season, but with a chance to beat their crosstown rival. Trojans will win going away.

#24 Stanford at Cal; The Cardinal has gotten their act together and should have enough to beat Cal.

Upset Alert:

Houston we have a problem. The Cougars pulled off the upset over Louisville and I just can't imagine the #17 curse continuing as @MicahMan and his Noles travel to Syracuse where the Orange don't seem to have a chance.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  20. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Coastal Carolina put a beat down on Liberty last night 42-7 in what appears to be the end of the rivalry (since CCU is moving up to FBS next season). Even better, they did it using a baseball player at QB.

"Coastal Carolina also followed an unfortunate trend this season as the Chants had to deal with yet another quarterback injury when Keane – who missed most of the past two games with an ankle injury – exited after being hit as he threw a pass.

Backup Ryan Lee – a freshman originally recruited to play wide receiver – came in and split time with Tyler Chadwick – a senior that played four seasons for the Chants baseball team before joining the football team. Chadwick was 6-of-9 passing for 71 yards, and Lee didn’t attempt a pass but had 71 yards on 19 rushes.

“So you have Ryan Lee, who is a true freshman wide receiver, and you have Tyler, who is a second baseman on the baseball team and hasn’t played football since high school,” Moglia said of his quarterback situation. “I couldn’t be prouder of those guys.”"​

They are now 9-2 with one game to play.