College Football 2016-2017

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SoCalJoe, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Dynamo

Dynamo Member

In small school action, we're going up against the one conference team our third year coach hasn't beaten in Bethune-Cookman, one of the schools we've shared the title with the last two years. B-CU is coming off a surprising loss to Savannah State (yes, THAT Savannah State that has won a total of 4 games in the last five seasons combined, including this one), so I know they'll be angry. We owe them from last year, and if we pull through we're looking good for an outright title.

2. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I'm still not sold on Louisville's defense. Giving up 28 points apiece on the road to Syracuse and Marshall around the Florida State effort still raises my eyebrows. Places like Death Valley usually turn them back into a pumpkin, but this group seems different. I think the game turns on the defenses. If the Cards come up big on that side of the ball, Lamar & Co. will probably get enough points to win. If not, then people will start talking about basketball.

3. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

#7 Stanford at #10 Washington (Friday). I'm gonna go the opposite here SoCal. I think UW is a bit over-rated and Stanford will find a way to pull this one out and take the driver's seat.

#11 Tennessee at #25 Georgia. I've been big on the Vols this season and no reason to stop here. Hopefully they can actually play a whole 4 quarters though!

#8 Wisconsin at #4 Michigan. I applaud UM for being able to get those games at home. I think they continue to roll, and also think this is comfortable win for them. I know Wisco just went right into Mich St and pulled it off, but I still think they are not that good of a football team. I guess that makes me a hater.

#3 Louisville at #5 Clemson. have no idea what to do here. I'm going Clemson

Dynamo - on of my good friends and I do a small college gambling bonanza and NCC/BCU is one of our games this week. I'm taking NCC +1.5 this week.

Upset Alert:
    No huge ones standing out, but I do think Cal wins. I'll also take Ok State (they're favored, is it an upset), and the same for OU.

4. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

My Ags are in South Carolina this weekend. I loved that win over Arkansas, from the goal line stands to the 300+ rushing yards.

Stanford @ Washington - I know Stanford is beat up & the Huskies have gotten them in Seattle before. I know Stanford is pretty much the McCaffrey show. But I don't like the rushing yards given up to Arizona. I think Browning will struggle if Stanford can get after him. Plus, we've seen this "UDub is on the rise" thing before recently & it keeps falling flat. I'm going with the Cardinal (but I'll be rooting for the Snarlin' Pups of Montlake).

Tennessee @ Georgia - the Vols got a big monkey off their back last week & should roll against a sputtering UGA.

Wisconsin @ Michigan - the Badgers' are getting credit for big wins, but were they? LSU was a mess. Sparty got a big bump just from beating a now 1-3 Irish team. I believe the Wiscy d is legit, but Michigan is strong in all 3 areas. Wolverines win.

Louisville @ Clemson - I feel like I'm being stubborn in not buying into Louisville but there are some issues there I don't like. Their o is predicated on 1st down success & fast starts. What happens when they face a team that puts them off schedule? Then you have the Card d, which still has plenty of holdover talent from the Strong years. However Petrino isn't a good defensive coach & his offense hurts the defense (more plays). Meanwhile Clemson is actually ahead of their pace from last year. They just seem to start slow. Plus that Auburn d they beat is good. Then there's the line. It's gone from Clemson -10 to +2 in 5 weeks. I'm always hesitant to go with the flow when that happens. I'll take the Tigers here in Death Valley.

Upset Special -

Minnesota @ Penn St - the Gophers are a road dog in this one for some reason that I don't get. The Nittany d is atrocious & Minny has a good qb. The line is a little low for an upset pick, but it's no worse than the Cal line. But because of that, I'll take 2 this week.

Michigan St @ Indiana - just call it a feeling. Wilson is a good coach & Sparty hasn't looked good outside of that pyrite win over the Irish. Give me the Hoosiers as an 8 pt home dog.

5. jumpkutz

Cards made too many mistakes and still almost managed to pull it out. Clemson's very good, but I see Louisville winning out. What happens after that? Who knows, but they figured some things out Saturday night about themselves. It all depends on what happens to the other contenders in their league and nationally. They still have a decent shot to get to the National Championship game, methinks.

6. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

AggieMatt and BarryWhite like this.
  7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

When the better half and the daughter do a mother/daughter lunch and shopping day, it's college football nirvana (just have to make sure I have batteries for the remote) w/so many games on. Thoughts:

• 3 years ago Pat Haden had a chance to hire Chris Peterson from Boise State, which would of been perfect after Lane Kiffin. However, Haden thought Peterson's personality didn't match USC's tradition of colorful John McKay (his coach), John Robinson, or Pete Carroll. Instead he hired Steve Sarkisian, who if Haden had done is homework would've found the rumors of his drinking even then. The fallout of that decision has shifted the balance of power. Peterson is now at Washington and SC is a mess.

• Speaking of whom, Washington has great balance, but still with road games at their 2 main rivals (Oregon, Wazzu) and 2 other tough road games (Utah and Cal) just can't see them not slipping up.

• Matt's boys flying under the radar somewhat, but have to think that changes with a Top 10 showdown this week w/Tennessee.

• Louisville-Clemson was an instant classic. Louisville is a fun team to watch play, I just try not to think of who their coach is. Clemson has started the season slow, and Watson hasn't looked terribly sharp, but they rose to the competition. 2 of the best teams in the country for sure.

• For the first time this season I caught a few minutes of Oklahoma State. HOLY MULLET BATMAN!!! Mike Gundy, coach of the Pokes is rocking a full blown biz in the front, party in the back 80's signature hairdo. :eek:

8. SoCalJoe

Obviously the game of the week is in College Station, but a here's a few more:

FUSA Special:
    Iowa at Minnesota; @LaxAttack Hawkeyes coming of a tough loss to Northwestern. @encorespanish Gophers looking to get past beating up a chubby kicker ;). Got to go with the Gophers at home

#23 Florida State at #10 Miami; FSU off a tough loss, but I'm still skeptical about the Canes. Mark Richt is notorious for coming up short in big games and I'll go with the trend to continue.

#1 Alabama at #16 Arkansas; Hogs like to pattern their style after Bama..only problem is the Tide does it a lot better.

#25 Virginia Tech at #17 North Carolina; Don't think the Hokies have enough offense to beat the Tar Heels.

Indiana at #2 Ohio State; @BarryWhite Hoosiers coming off that great win..but Ohio State looks like the giant that is roaming the countryside and terrorizing everything in it's path.

Texas v #20 Oklahoma; Charlie Strong is all but dead man walking, and you have to figure that the Sooners will heap more misery on him.

#5 Washington at Oregon. This is a blood feud and every bit as big a rivalry to both sets of fans as their in-state rivals. The Ducks are in free-fall, but have 12 in a row in this series. I will take UDub..but this could get sticky.

Game of the Week:
    #9 Tennessee at #8 Texas A&M; The Vols will have to play an entire game, because falling way behind to Florida and Georgia and storming back will not work at Kyle Field. Will leave the details to Matt, but going with the Aggies to keep it rolling.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  9. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

@SoCalJoe I have very little doubt that the Buckeyes will pillage IU. This could be a pretty good Hoosier squad if they could stop shooting themselves in the foot every time things start looking up in a game. Last week IU did some good things late but it still looked like Michigan St wanted the loss more than IU in some respect.

Here's to someone derailing the Buckeye express though. Might as well be the Hoosiers. Hope reigns until someone wakes me up and says otherwise.

10. encorespanish

encorespanish Active Member

That chubby kicker hit was about as much fight as we put up all game against Penn State. It should be an interesting match up on Saturday, but I'm optimistic that the Floyd of Rosedale will be coming home to Minneapolis!

11. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

Iowa at Minnesota; @@LaxAttack Hawkeyes coming of a tough loss to Northwestern. @@encorespanishGophers looking to get past beating up a chubby kicker ;). Nice work SoCal. Haven't really seen much of either this season, but heck, I'll go with LaxAttack then.

#23 Florida State at #10 Miami; 100% right on Richt. Though maybe he's turning that corner. I'm actually taking the Canes here.

#1 Alabama at #16 Arkansas; I think this is a very close game, and I'm taking the Hogs with the upset at home.

#25 Virginia Tech at #17 North Carolina; Fedora continues to grow and become a serious contender for a prime coaching spot. Heels

Indiana at #2 Ohio State; Would love for IU to pull this off. but Ohio St big.

Texas v #20 Oklahoma; OU. By a lot.

#5 Washington at Oregon. I don't think Oregon has a very good team this year, but I also think Washington is a bit over-rated. The 11 game streak doesn't end and Oregon pulls it out.

Game of the Week:
    #9 Tennessee at #8 Texas A&M; I thought Vols had to play a complete game last week and they didn't but still managed to pull it off. As you mentioned, that would work this week. I'll take the Aggies.

SoCal - surprised you didn't throw in the Buffs coming into LA ranked for the first time in 11 years!

12. SoCalJoe

@dtowndough, my bad about CU. it's by far more of an indictment of USC than the Buffs. Mike MacIntyre has done a great job (as he did at San Jose State) in Boulder. This is a big game for the Buffs and I'm hoping they heap more misery on the Trojans. SC blew out the Scummies last week and outplayed Utah at their place right before so this won't be easy. Your thoughts?

13. AggieMatt

I've been battling a respiratory infection the last few days so just picks from me this week.

I'll take Minnesota, Miami, Bama, UNC, Ohio St, A&M & Washington. Texas is my upset pick.

14. SoCalJoe

From respiratory infection to possible respiratory failure :rolleyes:. Holy smokes that was craziness at Kyle Field. I'm glad your Aggies won and hope the last 5 minutes didn't age you too much, and that you're feeling better.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Pardon me if I intrude, but I am still somewhat giddy over Houston Cougars -- top ten rated -- losing yesterday ... to the Naval Academy. Once again, a well executed triple option is still tough for many teams to handle. When you can't have 350 lb linemen in your squad, you have to depend on quickness and intelligence.

I still don't care all that much for pointy football, but I believe a result like this is good for the sport overall.

Tuning out now.

jumpkutz and BarryWhite like this.
  16. jumpkutz

Pretty good stuff this weekend. Some exciting finishes. Louisville had a bye, they play Duke at home next. The Cougs losing did not help their post season aspirations.
    Kentucky (gulp) beat Vandy at home, which means the 'Dores and Gamecocks are pretty bad. The Wildcats should beat Austin Peay later at home, but that should be it for them. Will they have done enough to save Mark Stoops? Doubtful.

17. SoCalJoe

Better get these in:

FUSA Special:
    Minnesota @encorespanish at Maryland @HatterDon (can't just make a great post than sign off :rolleyes:);
    Gophers off to a disappointing 0-2 in the Big Ten while the Terps are a respectable 4-1 on the season. Coin flip game and will go with Minnesota.

#1 Alabama at #9 Tennessee; The Vols have been wildly entertaining, but far too inconsistent in the middle of games. Tennessee capable of putting a scare into the Tide, but just can't see Alabama not winning.

#12 Ole Miss at #22 Arkansas; The Rebels appear to have righted the ship while the Hogs are the opposite. Going with Ole Miss, but I could see them give it away.

#10 Nebraska at Indiana; @BarryWhite The Hoosiers went toe to toe with the Buckeyes last Saturday, 2 late OSU tds made the score look comfortable, it was anything but. Biggest problem facing Indiana is they had a tough game, Nebraska had a bye week. Really like IU here if that wasn't the case, but Huskers to take advantage of 2 weeks prep.

#2 Ohio State at #8 Wisconsin; Whisky got a much need bye themselves after back-to-back Michigan schools road trip. Can they control the tempo and keep it close early? Would love to see an upset, but think JT Barrett will keep the Buckeyes on track.

Upset Alert:
    #22 West Virginia at Texas Tech; First team to 60 wins...Maybe

BarryWhite likes this.
  18. AggieMatt

My Ags are on a bye week before travelling to Tuscaloosa, so I'll be watching Bama @ Tenn & hoping they pound the crap out of each other.

Minnesota @ Maryland - outside of the Penn St game, the Terps have gotten off to a good start. The Gophers are without their qb, so Fear the Turtle.

Bama @ Tenn - the Vols played them tough last year & I don't think the Tide d is as good this year, despite all of the defensive tds. However, the Vols went into A&M beat up & left in even worse shape. Too many injuries to knock off Bama.

Ole Miss @ Arkansas - the Hogs haven't looked the same since a couple of weeks ago in Arlington. While the Rebels' lack of a running game concerns me, I think they'll pull this one out.

Nebraska @ Indiana - I've already pushed my luck picking the Hoosiers for an upset (successfully) a couple weeks ago. The 2 teams do look pretty close on paper but Indiana is more turnover prone & the Huskers have been better in the red zone on both sides of the ball. Nebby wins.

Ohio St @ Wisconsin - the Badgers have been winning with really good defense & establishing their run game. Their qb though, has shown some questionable judgement. Michigan took the run away from them & he cost them in that game. I expect more of the same against the Buckeyes.

Upset Alert - normally I'd pick another one when Joe takes the one I was looking at, but I really like this spot for Tech. This is WV's first true road game & it's in that difficult 11 am slot. Tech is brutally bad on defense, but if the Eers come out of the gates slow, they may not be able to catch up to the Red Raider offense. Taco Tech wins a shootout.

19. SoCalJoe

Getting this in early since a Thurs. game is included;

Thurs. BYU at #14 Boise State; BYU has had one of the strangest schedules (3 Pac 12 teams, mixed in w/West Virginia at a neutral site, & 2 MSUs (Michigan and Mississippi St) in recent memory. Boise State is going about their business in typical fashion. Broncos rarely lose on the blue turf.

NC State at #7 Louisville; Duke was within one roughing the kicker call from having the Cardinals on the ropes. NC State is well coached and dang near beat Clemson at their house last week. Louisville should bounce back and win going away, but the Wolfpack better not be overlooked.

FUSA Special;
    Indiana at Northwestern @BarryWhite @tim. Slow start for NW, but no surprise their excellent coach has them heading in the right direction. The Hoosiers are playing very well despite two close losses to 2 Top 10 teams. Going with the Wildcats only because they are at home.

#17 Arkansas at #21 Auburn; Really tough game to pick, but will go War Eagle.

#23 Mississippi at #25 LSU; Ed Ogeron did a great job as an interim at USC and is looking like he's doing the same at LSU. Add in it's a night game in Death Valley and going with the Bayou Bengals.

Colorado at Stanford; Thanks @dtowndough I've had little to smile about this season, but the Buffs smacking around the Scummies last week was nice. Another huge game in Palo Alto as CU controls their own destiny in the Pac 12 South. McCaffrey is questionable for Stanford and while they heaped more misery on Notre Dame last week, they were blown out by both Washington schools. Riding with the Buffs.

Game of the Week:
    #6 Texas A&M at #1 Alabama; Shocked to see Alabama as a 19.5 point favorite. Bama has feasted on defensive and special teams TDs (averaging an almost obscene 2 scores a game from those units). So the obvious first order of business is for the Aggies to take care of the ball and be disciplined on punt/kickoff coverage. Trevor Knight beat Bama in a bowl game while at Oklahoma, so he won't be scared, but can he avoid a the big turnover? Have to roll with the Tide, but Matt's boys are capable of going in there and winning.

Upset Alert:

TCU at #12 West Virginia; 2nd week in a row that I've gone against WVU (last week was a disastrous pick). Not a vintage TCU team, but Gary Patterson is one of the best coaches in the biz and he had 2 weeks to prepare.

#10 Wisconsin at Iowa; @LaxAttack The Hawkeyes are coming off 2 straight road wins and Whisky should have a hangover after a heartbreaking loss in overtime against Ohio State despite outplaying them for the majority of the game.

20. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Boooooooooooo @SoCalJoe

Sorry Joe but IU is going to win this only because you picked against them. @tim you can blame Joe for this one.

SoCalJoe likes this.