Club Soccer Views

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by WhitesBhoy, Dec 23, 2008.

1. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

2. BarryP

BarryP New Member

This is not the atmosphere I would want my kids playing in.

3. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

And I bet if you polled the parents before they lost sight and everything got twisted, they would agree with you. It is amazing how quickly the perspectives change, especially in this sport. It is a "hyper-keeping-up-with-the-joneses".

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

When I coached AYSO in San Antonio in the mid-70s and in Maryland in the mid-80s, the parents were just glad to get their kids playing with some sort of adult control. We had good sides in both places. Both finished 2nd [the story of my entire sports playing and coaching "career"] every season I coached. All the kids played at least a little. Most of the kids had fun. Most of the parents respected that the area between the sideline benches belonged to me and the kids. 90% of the parental comments I heard were along the lines of, "is he getting better; she's having so much fun" etc. I taught a little technique, some tactics, and a whole lot of team ethic. I wanted the kids to PLAY and they did.

It occurs to me that if I tried to do that today, I'd never get past the front door. I appreciate that these are big time club coaches and players, but something is being lost. Of all the sports I played in my life, soccer was by far the most fun to play. I wonder if that's what's being lost.

Thanks for the link, Christian.

5. BarryP

BarryP New Member

In AYSO and other recreational leagues you would certainly still be welcome Don. I don't think things have changed that much at the recreational level of soccer. It is club soccer that is probably vastly different than the 70's and early 80's.

6. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I've never really understood the push for achieving in sports so that you can get a college scholarship. So what, your kid can go to college and have to squeeze their studies in between practices, games, and traveling. Aim high for sports so that you can aim low for academics once you get to college. Only a small pecentage of students get athletic scholarships; I believe 95% of all scholarships are academic. I would think that if parents really care about college they would emphasize academic achieving for getting there.

7. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Just another example of what is wrong with the system. None of this surprises me anymore.

8. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

mo, you may think this is just guy-talk hyperbole, but every guy's guy wants to be an athletic superstar before anything else. So there is tons of appeal to that basic desire. After realizing our limitations, we settle for the 9-5 or some related interest.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mo, I remember getting a professional award about 10 years ago at a big-deal ceremony. All my co-workers -- highly educated professionals -- were congratulating me a lot. I told them I'd trade the award and all my professional accomplishments in my 50s for having been the starting center-fielder for the St. Louis Cardinals for a maximum of three seasons in my 20s. Everybody there was stunned. When I mentioned the same thing to my two brothers later on, neither was surprised in the least.

10. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

In the English game it is rare to find a player with any higher education, and those that do are abused for it. For example, Graeme Le Saux suffered abuse because of his education and choice of news paper.

Is the college system the only recognised way for talented footballers to break into the big time? What happens to really stupid people who are good at sports?

11. BarryP

BarryP New Member

In some sports, like baseball, it is not uncommon for players to go from high school directly to a minor league team for development. In other sports they just get "tutors" in college.

12. Jensers

Jensers New Member

What happens to really stupid people who are good at sports?

hehehehehehe...

Honestly - if you are talking football (soccer) specifically - they dont get seen, and have very little chance of doing anything. They stay local and play in their local league and just settle into life.

This is THE problem with the game in this country! Talent is not the #1 factor to decide who gets training, development, and opportunity.

You first must have Money.
    Then you must have Parents that are happy to fork over that money.
    Then you must be willing to drive and/or fly all over your region to play or practice.
    Then you must have size and speed (Which as you know - help, but are not always required to be the best player on the field... Many of these morons will not even look at someone unless they fit some physical dimensions along with some given 40 meter speed).
    Then you must have grades to get admitted to College, or qualify for Special Education (or whatever) so you can fall inside of a government required quota.
    Then you must have talent.

It is really stupid and makes no sense. Talent should be #1 and ability to pay should be #2, but that is not the way it works.

By the way - I do understand a college coach that will only look at players that fit inside a given size and speed requirement. This is - up to a point - a simple way to win when you have limited coaching opportunities. Put the biggest, strongest, fastest kids on the field and play a direct - highly physical - style of play.

Also - Teens that are quality never have the opportunity to play with, or against men. The only place that happens is Mexican League. Mexican League is the only league that I have found that doesnt care about your age. If you are good enough - you are old enough.

There are whispers that we are moving toward something better tho... The hope is that MLS teams will start to get Academies going where talent will be the deciding factor. Also - Brad Friedel has started an academy that looks to remove the Pay to Play requirement for players.

13. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Thanks Barry & Jenners.

Seems to me that the current system allows for a lot of players to be missed. Talent like Jan Moleby (fat) and David Beckham (not the most academic) would not have stood a chance.

I think there is a need for balance. We have a lot of kids who have been in the football system since they were 7 and stand no chance of making it - when they fall out at 18-21 they have no qualifications and nothing to fall back on.