Chelsea v. Fulham

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by quickdraw, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Meggrs

Meggrs New Member

RE: Shout out to the Fans

Sometimes a point feels like a win.... definitely the case today. While I think we blew the great chances late in the game, Fulham definitely came out strong, didn't get intimidated, and threatened the whole 90.

I know this is terribly "rah-rah-America" but damn, it was nice to see Keller in goal, looking totally cool and confident, not yelling at the defense every time a shot went by. I truly think his presence on the field and communication with Boca helped shore up the back line at a critical time. No offense to Niemi, I generally really like him, but this game needed exactly what Keller brought.

And kudos to the "traveling" supporters--Fulham fans were loud and proud, and it we could here it here in California (thanks for waking me up so early, by the way!). Great support for a well-fought game. There's a lot to be proud of!

Seol looked slow, and Baird was 50-50 for me: when he was good, he was good, and when Drogba beat him, it was ugly.

2. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Very proud of our efforts tonight, especially our excellent support! Second year in a row that we've gutted out a draw at the Stamford Public Library, and it seems our defense is finally coming to life. CSKA fans must be pissing their pants right about now. :lol:

To Roman's credit, he had enough stones to sit in the stands among the filth today, away from his corporate box. He seemed to have struck somewhat of a rapport with some of the fans, as well:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mind you, the pictures probably say more about CSKA fans than about the Mad Russian himself.

3. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Very nice to get a point today. Dissapointed in Kamara but can't complain about a clean sheet at Chelsea. Hopefully, fingers crossed, we can build on this.

I agree on Keller he looked better than Nemi has. Davis and Davies are on the way up, but it seems Smertin has had a drop off.

4. psand22

psand22 Member

I've been working in the Twin Cities for about a month. I'm an Insurance Adjuster that works disasters (Hurricanes, floods, hail storms...) and I've missed my Fox Soccer Channel. I've had appointments on Saturdays and haven't been able to make it to the Local to watch the games. It would be impossible to sit in a bar and not drink and watch the games and get any work done that afternoon....
    This morning, I was walking around the front of a home looking for dings in the gutters and I caught a glimpse of the game thru the front window. I stood outside and watched the final 10 minutes of the game. I'm sure that Korean family was wondering what I the hell I was doing peering in the window. But I couldn't look away. Great job today. 3 points would of have been great, but a point on the road is priceless.

5. jmh

jmh New Member

Would somebody please get Frank Lampard a shirt?

Also, while I've often criticized Baird, to be fair to him, Drogba (when he's not diving and bitching and whining) makes a lot of defenders look bad.

6. BC

BC New Member

Lol, I remember being the same way when I was in Scotland for a semester in college. I came back and it took me a while to spell things the American way (I was still writing "colour" and "monopolise", etc). Some of the slang still stuck with me as well. I can also remember wanting to tell everyone who mispronounced Edinburgh the proper way to say it. I guess I became something of an Anglo-snob there for a bit :)

7. AtlantaJohn

AtlantaJohn New Member

Chelsea

Have been away a long time, comp blew up.

Thought Boca was outstanding, kept Drogba at bay, and marshalled the team like a captain, his not the most stylish of players, but yesterday he did his job.

Yes chelsea are not the team they have been, but they had internationals all over the pitch.

Only negative for me is the fact how far as this team progressed, we got a draw last year, we need to start putting teams away, Chelsea were for the taking yesterday, especially when Drogba went, we could not finish them off, but the team seems to be gelling, and we have not lost now for a few games, thats a very good sign.

8. Lyle

Lyle New Member

That's hilarious!

9. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

10. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

One more comment on yesterday's match. I loved Keller's reaction to a short back pass with the Scum beading down on him. Rather than just boot it upfield -- which almost always means ceding possession in your own half, Keller calmly slid the ball to his left for PK to run on to. With his back to the Scum fans in the midst of a 0-0 draw against an infinitely superior team, Kasey was the coolest man on the pitch.

I've never considered Keller my first choice goalkeeper for USMNT, but he's definitely my first choice now. With him, Boca, and Hughes up the middle, I like us for a good sustained climb up the table.

12. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

OK, so what's with the "Walham Green Dog Track FC"? It does make reading the posts quite a bit lengthier.

Good game by the Whites. Baird looked better this game. Keller was a wall in goal. Cech saved them from losing to a better Fulham team.

I will say that I prefer Kamara and Dempsey starting; I think those two work together better than Dempsey/Healy.

13. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I mean this not so much in a brutal way, but Ambrovich's guard would have gutted that fat pig quicker that you could say "pork butt", if that guy had tried anything. Self preservation, after commiting oneself to such a public display of discourse, may have been one of the sub-conscience factors in that friendly display.

14. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I was so pleased with the outcome of the match. We hung in there the entire 90, and had a break when Drogba got sent off. I felt bad for him a bit, because you knew he didn't intentially karate kick Baird, but he should have kept his mouth shut in the first half.

On Baird, I think he played a good game. Chelsea is no slouch in the attack. We also got VERY lucky on a few chances, but also blew those two wonderful chances. I thought my heart stopped for that entire last 10 minutes. PK or Kamara would have been my heroes had they scored.

next up, Pompey! I say bring 'em on. We will be riding high after this weekend.

15. f150charlie

f150charlie New Member

Can someone fill me in on the reasons for the Walham Green Dog Track FC references for Chelsea... I'm new to this in the last year or so but have figured out the Chelski and CSKA refs but this one's got me baffled - not that that is too diff to do. :O)

16. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I'm a bit curious about that one, as well. Sure it makes me laugh, but I feel like I'm being left out on a really good inside joke!

17. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I'm thinking it's coded in the forum 'net-nanny' module.

Mike is 'arvin' a larf.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, Walham Green is the old name for the street currently called Fulham Broadway. So, since The Undead is located on Fulham Broadway ...

There's more available via Google, but I don't want to do everyone's work!

19. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

Fulham Broadway was Walham Green and still is funilly enough but for those that dont know CSKA Ground had a Greyhound track around the pitch before Ken bates started renovating the ground in the late 70/80's.

It was always know as Stamford Bridge dogs so I can only imagine it's someone reference the The dogs of's CSKA?

20. Spencer

Spencer Active Member