Chelsea v. Fulham

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by quickdraw, Sep 27, 2007.

1. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

In the words of Eric Cartman, to all thos who think Fulham will lose "SCREW YOU!" ;).

This is one of the biggest games of our season, and regardless of the teams the local derby puts the form book out the window. I have never gone into a Chelsea match thinking we wont get anything because the match itself it utterly unpredicatable. I always think we have a chance of winning and this year we have a good chance. Who cares if Dogpoo has come back from injury. The positive is that he won't be match sharp! And he is a big diving park gate poof.

More positive thinking people. I like the idea of Baird's deflected header and a 1-0 win, good work richardhkirkando. Shame on those Doubting Thomases.

COYW.

2. michfan2123

michfan2123 New Member

A point is a point, nice.

3. cottagerinmemphis

cottagerinmemphis New Member

How on earth can we miss TWO BREAKAWAYS in the last 10 minutes???? If you can't put away a break, what's left...penalties???? Kamara needs to walk in and put that second chance away...unreal. OK..rant over.

On the other hand that was a great game. The D looked much better aside from Baird, he was getting abused as usual. Keller should start from now on. Our first shutout of the season with the crafty American veteran in net! A draw is better than losing I suppose but at some point the boys are going to have to capitalize on their chances and get three points once in awhile, right? I don't think they show the Coke Champions League or whatever the hell it's called on TV in the states...

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

A nice. I never thought I would say this but had that match gone 5-10 more minutes I think Fulham would have won. They had some great chances in the last five minutes to get the win, but Bouazza, Kamara and Dempsey could not get it done.

Additionally, as much crap as Baird has taken he was very solid today. I was extremely happy to see him step up and have a big game.

Who would have thought our first clean sheet would come on the road at Chelsea? Not me. It shows we have the quality in back to be strong in defense, but we are not focused and consistent enough back there to get results. We need to see more defensive play like this going forward. If that is the case I can see us moving up the table.

5. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

I am sure it was a fantastic match to watch, but I was unfortunately unable to do so. For some reason none of the Fulham pubs were televising the match... seems a bit daft to me. (is the possibility of the match not being shown at all, but I am not sure)

Can't believe fulham's first draw came against Chelsea... AWAY. Brilliant result and that has to build loads of confidence in the players and staff... not to mention the pride we as supporters have in our side for a performance like that.

Grant's days were going to be short already, but if Chelsea continues on this downward slide it could be sooner than we think. Haha, love to have a laugh at the expense of the Russian billionaire.

Hope all of you enjoy the rest of your weekends. I will be purchasing the replay of the match and reviewing the match later today. Well done Fulham.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Love that DVR; got to see it all as most of it was going on. Huh?
    Thanks, Tom. I thought Baird had a good match also, as did Keller. I haven't been watching Fulham closely but for about three seasons plus this one, but I rate the Hughes-Boca combination as the best centerback pairing I've seen. Entertaining, and I thought we were going to snatch it. Kamara was Mr. Hesitant towards the end, and it took a massive block to stop Dempsey. The only weak spot on the team for me was Seol, but he didn't hurt us much.

My MOM was Steve Davis. I can't believe how many times that guy kept popping up to win the ball, make the tackle, deliver the pass. By far, however, the best man on the pitch was Beletti for Chelsea. But for him, we'd have roasted the Scum.

Nice to see that nobody below us won. Things are looking up.

7. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Way to go Whites!

I agree with Tom's assessment of the defense. Boca and Hughes played very well and Keller was more than solid. Baird and PK both played well. I was glad to see the Baird did not do nearly as much back peddling all the way into the box although it still happend on occasion. The offense did not create many chances before Drogba was sent off but Chelsea was certainly aware of where Dempsey was. Seemed like every time he touched the ball in the offensive third I saw at least two and usually three Chelsea players surrounding him on the TV screen.

Today was the first time I payed particular attention to Steven Davis and he seemed like he was all over the field today.

A point today .... Well done!

8. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

a rather doozy of a match, but i'll take that point anyday.

drogba is a piece of rubbish for jump-kicking baird in the face. he's a hobbit for pete's sake!

pompey should be tough next week , but the march up the table begins now.

9. rsl2000

rsl2000 New Member

Very good result today. We had some chances in the end, but you cannot be upset about a point against chelsea. I thought Boca and the entire defense played well. No major mistakes. Keller looked solid in goal. I would like to see Danny Murphy get more playing time. He seems to have the best first touch of all the midfielders. Kamara and PK need to put hose finishes away.

10. terrinh73

terrinh73 Member

We had a formidable crowd at the Brewhouse in Atlanta...at least four tables of Fulham fans and only one Chelsea supporter! Lovely...

I'm happy to see our defense pull it together. Chelski wasn't able to score with 8 shots on goal! That alone made me smile; however, I felt we were playing an overly cautious game. Maybe that's my novice assessment...but I feel there were at least two opportunities for us to score and it seemed we were hestitant to really move the ball. Obviously picked up in the second half...but we really should have won that game.

Satisfied with the draw, but would love more 3's.

-T

11. BC

BC New Member

Wow! What a great match. Just when I start to wonder if maybe we'll start to show the inconsistency that plagued us last year, we come out and draw Chelski at the Bridge. Should have won, in fact. I love this team. We've been in every match this season and but for a few breaks, could be near top 10.

I've been as much of a Baird critic as anyone but I must admit he played much better today. Although he did get burned a few notable times, he made some excellent tackles to save some dangerous situations from Chelsea.

I don't buy the idea that the midfield isn't supporting Baird much. The times he's cost us, it's been him getting smoked one on one or not marking well in the box. I still think he is our weak spot but I'm willing to trust LS a bit more.

However, if Baird costs us one more match, it's time for him to have a seat. There's all this talk of us having depth at all positions. Well, lets use it.

Keller was amazing and should be our starter the rest of the season. Niemi's been good but I don't think he would have saved us a point today.

I love our attacking options as well. Having Deuce, Kamara, Healy and in a few months, Mac, gives us great flexibility up front.

I could go on and on I'm so happy! Great match Fulham and keep it up. Things will turn for us, I just know it.

ps- Team of McBrides, I can tell you've been in London for a bit..."daft", "havin' a laugh"..."brilliant" :)

12. TonyInLA

TonyInLA New Member

well, John Terry will be out for 6 weeks with that broken cheekbone. Did you see the closeup of him getting treatment? That thing swole up quick! Then a few seconds later he's jawing at the referee and he looks fine. Good on him for playing though, and that ALL the good I can say of Chelski.

I liked the changes LS made and when he made them. Bringing on attacking-minded players late in the game in that situation. His gameplan produced his desired clean-sheet result.

I hope Keller has a starting position for the duration. He did what the other 2 couldn't accomplish. clean sheet, baby! Nary a sniff of own-goal anywhere.

exciting game that had me jumping at the end. Good job Whites!

13. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

BC... I must admit the language has been rubbing off on me a bit. I don't ride an elevator anymore it is a lift, not a subway but a train, spare change is now shrapnel, crazy is now daft, drunk is now pissed and bars are now the local.

Saw so many Chelsea supporters on the tube today and I was so happy to see their frowning faces. Not to say that I take pleasure from others misery, but I wasn't much bothered by it. Isn't much hope for that lot on the horizon.

14. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

i agree with that. by the end of the match it seemed ls was determined not to lose the match. but he also wasnt completely determined for all 3 points. smertin, davis, and murphy all hung back on defense and rarely threatened. even look at that (poor) last second corner - there was maybe 4 people in the box?

15. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Well done Fulham fans...

Okay...very happy with a point.

What I'm more happy about was the outstanding display by our supporters at Scumford Bridge today. You could hear the Fulham fans from outside the ground singing 'You're not special anymore'. They outsang Chelsea all match and made sure they knew that Fulham had invaded! Woohoo.

Very proud of our supporters...Come on you super whites!

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: Well done Fulham fans...

I was also thrilled to hear the fulham fans in full roar the entire match. The only thing that drowned them out was the Scummers chanting for Josey.

Well played the lads; well supported the travelers. It's a good day in SW6

17. DCDave

DCDave Member

Re: Well done Fulham fans...

I second that. The Fulham supporters came tough long and clear from all the way across the ocean! I was proud of that.

It was also nice to see the chelsea "fans" turn on their team so quickly. Loyal to the end (of the lead, that is).

18. Jacob

Jacob New Member

RE: Well done Fulham fans...

Baird did play a lot better today, but he gave up 3 free kicks in Chelsea's scoring range. Had Lampard been on the field he might have converted one of those. Still out paced at times, but the rest of the defense covered very nicely.

My impression of Soul Ki Heon is still the same, when he had the chances he could power through the defense, while getting tackled and stay on the ball. At other times he was absent. I guess he isn't quite entirely match fit.

Over all I'm quite satisfied with the draw. I just wish we could have put away one of those chances in the 2nd half. Hey, 0-0 against Chelski is good enough right now. Even the Gooner fans at the Brewhouse in Atlanta were cheering on Fulham. It was quite nice.

19. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Shout out to the Fans

Echo the sentiments about the fans...absolutely brilliant on tv, it made us all proud to be Fulham fans. Time to build on this and start picking up the 3 points. The clean sheet is just what the doctor ordered. Looked like Kamara's second touch on that breakaway got away from him, hence the hesitation.

20. jmh

jmh New Member

RE: Shout out to the Fans

Keller, Konch and Steve Davis all had very good games. Baird was better than he's been but still was the weak link in the back line. Boca and Hughes seem to be meshing well. Jacob is right about Seol, on the dribble he can look amazing but sometimes he disappears. Dempsey was lucky to get away with the elbow on Terry.

I didn't really think about it, but Don is right that Belletti had a very good game. Joe Cole scared me a bunch too, he's very slippery. I don't really think Drogba meant to kick Baird in the face but it was clearly a dangerous play; he doesn't get sent off if he hadn't gotten cautioned for bitching in the first half though. And Grant looks like he hasn't slept in a month - the job is weighing heavily on him already, I think.