Cardiff Round 1 Now 2

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by dtowndough, Jul 23, 2020.

1. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

I know I'm excited for Monday. I didn't watch yesterday, but followed live and watched Brentford. I think the squad is in great form and clearly recovered from the layoff. Wish I could fast forward to Monday!

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

This is one of the best end-of-season runs I can remember. I like our chances.

nevzter, stlouisbrad and SoCalJoe like this.
  3. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I wish I could be as optimistic Sir Donald, but I've seen too many end-of-season runs deflate like a child's birthday balloon before halftime of the first post season outing. Followed by BLINK, and you're getting out the golf clubs. Difficult to figure out how this one shapes up for us. They've won three straight since we throttled them at the Cottage on the 1oth of this month. The August 19th tilt in Wales barely seems relevant or memorable, as Neil Warnock was still their boss, Betts was still our starting keeper and Arter was sent off with 22 minutes plus left. All that, and we still managed a 1-1 draw. So, do we get the same matchups and the same results as July 10th? (if only...) Or do we through both regular season results out the window and cross our fingers? Maybe a little of both. Doesn't take much to knock you out of business when the records restart at 0-0 and somebody's going home when it's over. Still, as the wise one from South Texas says, I like our chances. Too.

nevzter likes this.
  4. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Looking at the numbers, things are certainly in Fulham's favor. A draw away and a win at home will be enough, and Fulham has done a good job of that this season. Fulham has had 10 away draws this season - only two teams have had more away draws. Having let some away wins turn into draws is part of the reason Fulham didn't get automatic promotion, but it does mean they are well suited for the playoffs. The only two teams that had more away draws are Swansea and Nottingham Forest. As for playing at home, no team in the Championship had more wins at home than Fulham's 15. Continuing Fulham's pattern of a win at home and a draw away will see them through to Wembley.

Fulham also has an amazing ability to hold a lead. Only five times this season has Fulham allowed an equalizing goal after taking a lead. No one was better than Fulham at holding a lead. Leeds was closest with seven equalizing goals allowed.

If Fulham plays the way they typically have all season, they should be in the finals. But they play the games for a reason, so we'll have to see if the right Fulham shows up at Cardiff.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    Coach K, SoCalJoe and nevzter like this.
  5. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

"No one was better than Fulham had holding a lead." That's an impressive stat (thank you for that) and hopefully an indicator of continued defensive stoutness at Cardiff. And most anti-Fulhamish. All the more reason the Whites will concede late in the playoffs (arrrgggghhhh!!!!!).....

COYW to Wembley!!

SoCalJoe likes this.
  6. jumpkutz

Sure wish I didn't have to work tomorrow. Will try to sneak in some drop in views if I get the chance. A draw on the road works. A win is almost automatic advancement to Wembley again, albeit an empty Wembley. But...better than the alternative.

UP THE COTTAGERS!

7. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

woke up feeling good today. got a workout in, took the dog for a walk, fixed a nice breakfast. I still think a W is a very likely possibility. They didn't limp into this position. They closed out very nicely and are ready for these playoffs. Love the stats from above giving me more optimism.

8. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Hoping for a win, a draw seems likely, but if that’s the case an away goal or two is critical. Lose 1-0 and it’s big trouble.

9. Coach K

Coach K Active Member

Super excited for 1st leg today! Pouring rain for most of the morning in SE Louisiana, with more in the forecast. Going to get in my run and be back for the match!

Spot on from Micah. "Fulham also has an amazing ability to hold a lead. Only five times this season has Fulham allowed an equalizing goal after taking a lead. No one was better than Fulham at holding a lead. Leeds was closest with seven equalizing goals allowed."
    I agree, this is the key. If we get the first goal, were golden. Most championship teams cant match our quality in open play. But the longer we stay at 0-0, the less effective our possession becomes and then we start to see Fulhamish stuff happening all over the stadium.

I'm very pleased to see Onomah, Kebano, Decordova-Reid and even... Arter, getting some goals of late. I think that takes some of that pressure of Mitro and hopefully we can put in a few goals today!

Cmon Fulham!

MicahMan and SoCalJoe like this.
  10. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

agree, goals are almost more important than the W.

11. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

I don't have much too say that hasn't already been said. I'm anxious and my pessimistic side tells me that we haven't been producing a lot of scoring chances lately. These two-legged matchups often produce rather cautious (and boring) play. I hope Fulham doesn't sit back and play for a draw, but don't think that they'll come out in attack mode for fear of it backfiring on our poor counter-attack defense.

Either way, I'm excited to watch at least two more Fulham matches before the short break.
    COYW!

12. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Mitro has picked up a "slight problem" and is being held out today in hopes that he'll be ready for the next one or two.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  13. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

That stupid red card Mitro picked up was a blessing in disguise, the team knows they can win without him. COYW!!!

stlouisbrad and Coach K like this.
  14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

So, have we got the shortest two strikers in football out there today?

Thought we had the better of the first half.

15. FulhamTX

FulhamTX Active Member

The first 5 or so minutes of this game.... Jesus christ. Glad they woke up after that but a stretch like that just can't happen if we want to win

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

nevzter likes this.
  16. FulhamTX

FulhamTX Active Member

The last 40 of it, for sure. Thought TC had it in the net at the end

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

17. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

What a second goal!

SoCalJoe likes this.
  18. jumpkutz

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The second half was a good example of what I was talking about in my most recent view. No Mitro, at a park we don't usually do well at, and we took complete control of the match. I can't remember seeing Fulham not only dominate possession, but do so while constantly pressuring the opposition.

More of this, please!!

stlouisbrad, sacffc, SoCalJoe and 2 others like this.
  20. Coach K

Coach K Active Member

Brilliant second half! Two super goals, couldn't have asked for more.

Had a bit of an anxiety attack when Harrison Reed went down in that first half. He has been incredible over the last 7 or 8 games and I'm sure there are half a dozen Premier League clubs who would love to have him in their side.

Lets keep it going!

stlouisbrad, sacffc, SoCalJoe and 2 others like this.