Captain America Retires

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Jul 15, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

This just in:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/s ... =si_soccer

I know that there are those on this site that are still upset with Claudio for going to Sunderland rather than us, and there are those who never saw him before the injuries he suffered at Sunderland slowed his game, but I've always been a huge fan of Reyna. He should have retired at Man City, but I certainly wouldn't have passed up a couple million to play for Energy Drink United.

For my money, only Tab Ramos is in the same argument about the USA's most skillful player ever.

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Don, I agree with you on Reyna and Tab Ramos (with a mention of John O'Brien) being the most skilled player the US has produced. If there was a definition of a "calming influence" on a pitch it was him. When the ball was at his feet as a fan you felt he was going to make the right decision and dictate the tempo. I'll be curious to see if he chooses to go into coaching.

3. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

I have to say it's been a long time since I remember seeing Reyna at 100%. When he was he was great, but sadly those have become distant memories. It's probably best he hangs it up.

4. jmh

jmh New Member

Man, I wish even ONE of those three guys could've gotten through his career without major injuries.

5. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

Reyna was a great player and it's sad that his body couldn't keep up with his talent.

Well, there's still DMB to carry the cause (of good USA players abroad getting injured).

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Second all that.
    Despite I see nothing wrong generally with our greats coming back to finish in MLS, I was really disappointed that Reyna chose to do that... it really diminished his image.

Seems the only ones who didnt know he was finished before his final season at city were Arena and Reyna.

7. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

I have a question for those who are more savvy about MLS rules than I am: since he was one of RBNY's designated players, does this open up a designated player spot immediately? This is important information for me since I purchased an RBNY ticket plan this season.

8. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I still say he's the best American player of all time. Tab is up there too, but I gotta go with Claudio. He was a revelation at the 2002 WC.

9. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

nmancini4. Based upon Soccernet, Reyna's retirement does NOT open up his DP slot this season. Also per them, NYRB was not planning on signing another DP this season anyway - they'll instead likely focus on using the $200,000 cap space to sign a striker, though they are targeting a new DP next season, to go along with the new stadium.

10. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Thanks for the info, Andy.

11. sublicon

sublicon New Member

How many times do stupid cracks like this need to come up before we can all agree it's tired as hell?

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

can't ever remember making that crack or even hearing it before, but I'll cool it. As long as we can still get creative with the name of our near neighbors, I'll be happy.

13. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Besides, everyone knows that it is FC Heart Palpitations, Don!!

14. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Are you sure they aren't Real Liquid Crack?

15. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Can we just make fun of MLS team names in general? FC Fake Sierra Mist United Xtreme FC?

16. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

that is totally my fav MLS team!