Bundesliga

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by IanHux, Jun 4, 2008.

1. IanHux

IanHux New Member

I've been intrigued about the Bundesliga and wish I had GolTV so I can watch it but anyway........ I've decided to go on a search for a team to follow next season and see what happens. Right now I have my eye on Bayer Leverkusen, Werder Bremen, and Karlsruher SC. I'm open to any suggestions you might have on a team to follow. I'd also like to know of any teams you guys follow in Deutschland and why. Fo Sho!

2. jmh

jmh New Member

There are a few Americans scattered around the Bundesliga; I might suggest trying to find one of them.

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Energie Cottbus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Fulhamish club in a few respects. (Which may be a good reason NOT to pick them. You don't need that added stress in your life.)

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Vfb Stuttgart...parents lived there just after they got married...lovely people around there.

5. Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln

Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln New Member

FC St. Pauli. Once sponsored by Jack Daniels; would've loved to have purchased that shirt.

They were the first club in Germany to ban neo-nazi groups/hooligans from their ground, so they are universally despised by wannabee Hitlers around the nation. If you are known in a sense by those who hate you, then I guess this would be a good club to follow in Germany.

I don't think they're in the Bundesliga now. That would be a downside to following them.

Hoffenheim are an intriguing option. Little village club with backing from a from a former player turned rich businessman in a Wimbledon-like fashion. Great story, hopefully it doesn't end like Gretna.

6. jmh

jmh New Member

Re: RE: Bundesliga

I read their Wikipedia page and they seem really cool. Just promoted into the 2.Bundesliga before the 2007-08 season and finished mid-table. Had a few Americans in the past, Paul Caliguiri, Ian Joy and Cory Gibbs. Their unofficial supporters insignia is a skull and crossbones. Art Brut wrote a song about them. The biggest down side is that their home kit is brown. Ew.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

gotta watch out for them German brown shirts!

I generally check the scores for Hannover ['dolo has been with them forever and is their captain] and for Hansa Rostock [my boy Pearce plays there]. The only club I felt any connection for was Kaiserslautern and they were relegated a couple of years ago. Fave bumpersticker from the Rhineland Phalz:

Nicht Hupen! Ich traume auf erste FCK! Go you rot teufels!

8. Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln

Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln New Member

RE: Re: RE: Bundesliga

I kind of like the brown kit (But admittedly the term "style" would never be found attached to my name.). I think the major downside is the fact you really can't keep up with the club. The great thing about Fulham and many English/Scottish clubs is that you can stay in touch and...at the very least...listen to the matches regardless of the level they're playing at.

9. Silas

Silas New Member

I have an FC St. Pauli shirt, I've been a supporter for quite some time. My brother spent a year in Hamburg and went to several games. They're a pretty neat team.

10. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Thanks for all the feedback and I've added a couple more teams to note for next season...... Looks like my list is expanding instead of narrowing down. If any of you have an in depth reason on which club to follow I would appreciate it a lot.

11. Silas

Silas New Member

Hey, as long as you don't pick HSV, I'm a happy camper.

12. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Ha ha ha well I'll remember that Silas. It looks at this point in time Schalke is in the lead. Its the former club of Volz and they have a spot in the champions league so there shouldnt be any added stress. I think one Fulhamish club is enough. I can't say anything yet because yesterday I was looking at Stuttgart...

13. jmh

jmh New Member

I should pick a Bundesliga team sooner rather than later - I'm thinking of buying a Germany shirt (the red/black ones they're wearing this summer are really sharp) and need to decide what name to get on it!

14. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Pick Köln. Just got back in the league. Lots of History. Cool city. Not a blue team.

15. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Avoid the blue!!!!!!!

16. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Well following the avoid the blue mantra I've settled on Stuttgart. Incidentally there was an exchange student at my school from Stuttgart. So hopefully they'll do well next season as I look up their scores and read match reports (cause I can't really do anything else). There's always second chance (I moved around from Liverpool to Arsenal before I saw the error of my ways and decided to enjoy my time as a Fulham supporter) so I can always choose a new side....

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

You've made a wise decision ianhux5. I hope they can make run similar to the one they did for 2006-2007 campaign.