Bolton fire Owen Coyle

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Clevelandmo, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Shocked. Didnt realize they started the season so poorly. I wonder if managing in the championship takes a different type of coach than the premier league.

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Mo, Coyle managed Burnley in the Championship so he knows what's going on down there. I think the pressure to bounce back up after being relegated w/the parachute payments is massive. That division is dog eat dog, and while Bolton is sitting 18th, they are only 6 points of the playoff spots, so a change was made before the Wanderers lost contact.

3. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Wait a minute.....HE'S the guy who wears shorts on the touchline in Januray, not Tony Pulis!

I am depressed now.

4. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I wonder how this will change things for Stuart Holden since Coyle was always a huge Holden fan, even with his injuries. I think Holden is a couple weeks away from returning.

5. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

That was my first thought as well.

6. shinerbockguy

shinerbockguy New Member

^this. And Tim Ream.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Holden posted on Facebook that he was saddened to see Coyle go and grateful for all the chances he gave him. Remember that Coyle extended his contract after DeJong kicked him out of the World Cup picture.

Usually a change of coach is bad for the old coach's favorite -- as Holden certainly was -- but Holden is a past player of the year, a hard worker and a fan favorite. I don't know anyone who believed that Bolton would have been relegated if the Holden-Muamba CM axis had been intact all last season. He should get a good shot.

As for Ream, I don't think he's gotten off the bench yet this season. Coyle put him in the starting XI from the first match last season, but not this. I like Coyle, and I like the style of football his teams played. A shame. really. He's one of the good guys.

8. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

And as noted by my esteemed colleague above, his fashion sense is impeccable.

I estimate he'll be w/o a job for about 724 minutes...