Blackburn Rovers vs. FULHAM, December 2nd 2006

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by rogoftherovers, Nov 22, 2006.

1. rogoftherovers

rogoftherovers New Member

Hello from brfcs.co.uk

My name is Roger and Im currently making a preview for a messageboard that I am on, of the Blackburn Rovers vs. Fulham FC encounter at Ewood Park on December 2nd 2006.

I was hoping that being Fulham fans you could answer some questions for me on your team, and your season.

I also would like to ask some questions of the state of Soccer in the United States.

Any response would be much appreciated.

Fulham in 2006/2007

1. What has been the highlight of the season so far?

2. Lowest point of season so far?

3. Player of the season as of this moment?

4. Chris "Cookie" Coleman? How good is he as a manager?

5. What are your thoughts of Blackburn ahead of the game?

6. Blackburn's best player?

7. Match Prediction

Football/Soccer in the U.S.

8. Is it really the next big thing in America?

9. Is the sport seen as an upper class activity?

10. Is it considered a female sport by the majority of Americans?

11. How did the fans react to the poor World Cup showing by the National team?

12. Future American stars?

13. Best current American footballer/soccer player?

14. If Fulham were an American sports team they would be......?

Thanks in advance to any feedback.

Can I also say if anybody on the boards does a similar review I would be more than happy to answer any of your questions.

And finally can I invite you to visit www.brfcs.co.uk

BRFCS stands for Blackburn Rovers Football Club Supporters and were a friendly bunch (we have some Americans also!) who love football and general chit chat.

Many thanks again,

Roger

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Sounds like a job for our publicist.

Hey everyone, who the hell is our publicist?!?!

Tom? Mike? Pet...whoa, nevermind.

I'm sure somone, or some many will be with you shortly.

Welcome, adversary!

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

FFCinPCB, I nominate you, Petty, Heather or Don for this one. What do you think?

4. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Sure! Everyone pick 3 or 4 questions, and have at 'em. It may be a little later this morniing until I get to mine. (Must have coffee first. Probably not allowed that either on yer diet, huh?)

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

LOL! No coffee either my friend!! It is rather a plain Jane diet and such, but nonetheless, effective!!

6. rogoftherovers

Thanks guys.

Good to see the Premierships appeal is big in the U.S.

Im a big fan of American sports myself, particularly Baseball and Football (NFL)

I support the Los Angeles Dodgers and Denver Broncos.

Gutted we didnt go for Alfonso Soriano but at least we got Nomar and well we beat Oakland twice so I am more than satisfied with our season!!!

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Gee, thanks Tom for the work. :lol:

My pleasure.

Hmm...Well, for me it would have to be my first Fulham match at Aston Villa. It was my first Premiership game I witnessed in person, I was cold and soaked, but it was fun being with the travel supporters. Love the singing and chanting, wish it was incorporated over here on this side of the pond. Plus, I witnessed Volz score his first goal.

Hmmm....Well, our team hasn't done well when they travel to Manchester. So, I can go with either the 5-1 defeat at Old Trafford, or the 3-1 defeat at Manchester City Stadium. We played like crap at both stadiums.

I would have to with Michael Brown. I was never a big fan of his before his time at Fulham. I always thought of him as a player that always got away with cheap fouls. But he has shown a lot of heart and determination in Fulham's midfield and we have been missing him since his injury.

I think he's cute with his nervous ticks. Strange, I know. But I don't like his stubbornness to keep player's in a formation that doesn't seem to be working, this season hasn't been so bad. He's young and seems to be learning each season. Hope he stays a bit longer.

I hope it's not the same as last year. :wink:

Gamst Pedersen, but he doesn't seem to be doing as well as last year?

I think it could go either way for each team. But I'm thinking a more likely outcome would be a 1-1 draw.

I wish it would be, but very unlikely. It competes against too many sports here. American football, college football, baseball, basketball, college basketball, and hockey. It might over-take hockey, but I can't see over-taking anything else. Heck, golf gets more coverage than "footie."

Yes, it is seen as a sport that is for middle to upper-middle class suburbans.

Not so much anymore. The men's teams definitely gets more coverage than the women's teams. I'm sure highschool American football players still tease the soccer players at being sissies and are playing a girly sport. But the appreciation of soccer is increasing in this country.

Not well, but the more knowledgable US soccer fan knew that it would be tough to get out of that group with Italy, Czech, and Ghana. And most of the fans are eager to see the team improve on the game for the next go round.

I would have to say Benny Feilhaber (Hamburg), Jose Altidore, and David Arvizu (both at New York) intigue me the most. Adu is talented but I'm not sure he'll ever live up to the hype.

Hmm...well, that currently plays for the National team? I would say Clint Dempsey.

I would have to say Chicago Cubs. Both teams play in a "classic" stadium and the fans seem to be more "laid-back" when put into comparison with their rivals.

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

8 - no. However the attention paid to it is gradually growing along with US player profiles. .Since it's seen as the 'European sport' most here judge it by feedback from the big leagues.

9 - Again, no... it's seen as a suburban middle class sport. In 'Upper Middle Class' circles the 'in' sports to play are Rugby and LaCrosse.

10 - Only considered 'female sport' by knuckledraggers who follow High School, College, NFL North American football in that order.
    - You know the type.. the American counterpart of the guy who calls American Football sissy because of the pads and helmets, and who would crap his pants if someone dragged him off to line up in a BAFL scrimmage.

11. - Disappointment, but not shock for the knowledgable fan. This WC, amazingly, did a lot to elevate soccer interest in the US. The casual fan got to see how tough a sport it really is and could relate coaching decisions and player performances to those sports they follow most closely.
    Many who had never paid much attention got swept up in the drama and watched other teams... and seem to have 'got it'.
    - I have to say McBride's blooding, and the notorious 'head-butt' didnt hurt interest here.. even American Sports talking heads now compare 'dirty play' to that event.

Only the most CASUAL fan { who only watch every four years} was overly surprised at our showing.

. . . . .. . . . I'll let the others handle 12 and 13..

14 - We would HOPE the Marlins.. but, in reality, the Cubs.

9. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Back to back goals by McBride and Bocanegra in the final minutes of our match AT Newcastle. That was magic. And I was watching with a Newcastle fan, so I got to enjoy rubbing it in.

Manchester Shiity. ManUre was partially first match jitters against the juggernaut. Citeh was no excuse, just crap football.

Tough one. Antti Niemi I guess. Not the greatest keeper, but the man has had to battle nearly every match and has kept us in some. Brown's attitude has been a good addition.

Good, but getting better. He will manage a team that plays in Europe, I just hope its our team.

who?

Either Brad Friedel or Jamel Johnson. :3d smile:

Blackburn 0 - 2 Fulham

Yes, for various reasons. But you don't get much more regular guys than me (used play all other sports and think soccer was for sissies, see Petty's post). If I am this into it, here come many more.

Yes. Upper-Middle Class. Ever hear the term "Soccer Mom". Picture van/station wagon, house with white picket fence in suburbia (do English know what that term means?).

No. But as pointed out, perhaps was, and may still be considered by some, as girl-ish.

Gutted. Good that so many got upset. Bad because many probably said, "why do we bother?"

Feilhaber, Adu, millions of kids playing weeknds at the park.

ONYEWU!!! Oguchi Onyewu or Gooch is a powerhouse defender who has the personality to suit his rather large frame. Currently cooling his heels in the Belgian (Jupiler) League at Standard Liege. Could re-define the Center back position. Says so himself. I believe him.

The Cubbies undoubtedly (Chicago Cubs that is). The first time I saw match at Wrigley Field, where the Cubs play, you could just smell the history and genuineness. Haven't been to The Cottage yet, but all reports and impressions are the same. The term Fulhamish is equally applicable to the Cubs.

10. pettyfog

11. DCDave

DCDave Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: Blackburn Rovers vs. FULHAM, December 2nd 20

A couple of comments:

Soccer in this country I feel is best personified by the crowds that attend DC United, probably the class club of US soccer. About 1/2 the crowd is made of Hispanic immigrants and 1/2 of suburban (middle and upper-middle by my estimation) soccer families. They draw pretty well--over 20,000 for weekend games regularly and they get a good amount of coverage in the local paper, the Washington Post.

As to the popularity of soccer, it certainly is a very big youth sport. As much as I love baseball (my #1 sport by far), soccer is better for kids to play because they all can get in the action. My nine-year-old niece, who really likes baseball and plays in the local league, also plays select soccer, and it's good for the kids because they get so much action. Baseball, you're in the game if you're pitching, catching, hitting, or the ball is hit to you--that leaves a lot of time for most players to stand around doing nothing.

The big question for soccer as a spectator sport in the US is: can it move out of the "participatory-only" sports like volleyball and into the spectator sport realm? After all, pointy-ball football is played by many fewer people than soccer, but watched by millions more than soccer.

I think that MLS is doing the right thing by concentrating on a few markets and building it up slowly, as opposed to the NASL whch became trendy but as all trends go, it fell out of favor. Every year, MLS does something it hadn't the year before. (Starting next year, as I reacall, they are getting paid to have their games on national TV.) The World Cup helped a lot (it would have been better if the games hadn't all been in the morining/early afternoon in the States). The Post sent three writers of their own to cover it and XM Radio (satellite pay radio) had a 24-hour channel to cover the Cup during the tournament, with live play-by-play of every match.

It will not in my lifetime join the Big-3 of baseball, American football, and basketball in the US, if only because the average person has only some much time o pay attention to spectator sports, and that time is pretty well filled. Any gain by soccer as a spectator sport will probably have to come at the expense of other sports. However, I can see it joining the ranks of ice hockey, auto racing, etc. in this country as a sort of "niche" sport. (The niche being immigrants and suburban families, more in the northeast and California than other places.) That's not a bad place to be.

12. rogoftherovers

Thank you guys so much.

Some interesting answers! I like the Cubs analogy. I would say Rovers are like the Florida Marlins, small market team with loyal fan base, and occassionally ruffle a few feathers on a national level, but ultimately play to half empty stadiums and our good youngsters move on to bigger and better things elsewhere.

Keep them coming!!

13. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I would actually say that Fulham is not that similar to the Cubs. Or at least the Cubs of the last ten years. Recently, and not just with Soriano, the Cubs have spent a good amount of money in free agency, trades, etc to be competitive.

Fulham on the other hand has not and will not spend that kind of money to be competitive. If I were to compare Fulham to a baseball team it would be any small market team....i.e. the Cinncinnati Reds, Kansas City Royals, Washingto Nationals, Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

All of those teams spend a bit in the free agent market, but rarely, if ever, get a big signing. They get bargain players and make the best of things with what they have.

The Cubs have a national fan base, with a sold out stadium every week. Fulham does not have that and does not even come close to that in my opinion. We might want to think they do, but the only similiarity in the two clubs is a lack of winning and Fulham has done some winning in the last decade getting to the Premiership from the lowest levels over a matter of five seasons.

14. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Geez, when did Tom become such a wet blanket?

(damn smiley thing still says 'hackerattempt1', but know that I am joking)

15. pettyfog

Not the first time I've seen that argument, Tom... gently speaking I've found that Chicagoans and Cubs fans generally, are too close to the trees to see the forest.

The Reds, for example, are in their third ballpark of the last forty years.

16. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I will give you the ballpark comparison with the Cubs, but other than that, it is not really the same. But then again, maybe I am too close to things here in Chicago.

Regardless, as many of you already know, I was a die-hard Cubs fan until the start of the 2005 season. However, I got sick and tired of all the fake Cub fans at the park and the crap upper management spewed every season about this being the year and all that stuff. Thus, I jumped ship and before the season started I took up the following the White Sox and this past season the Phillies as well.

I hate fairweather fans that support the Cubs and while there are a number of loyal, longtime Cub fans at Wrigley and around the country, there are just as many, if not more so-called fans just wanting to be a part of the whole circus that is the Chicago Cubs.

So, I say piss on the Cubs!! BUT...not on Fulham of course!! COYW!

17. rumstove

rumstove New Member

I wanna play too.
    Win at Newcastle 9 Sept. Not only did Fulham come from behind, but we got an away win.

Jimmy Bullard's injury, also during Newcastle away. He scored two goals in the first 3 games, and when playing everyone could see he loved playing the game and playing at Fulham. The injury was like a dagger to the heart. Everyone is looking forward to his return.

We have a few. Antti Niemi, Brown, and all the players asked to play out of position.

His tactics are frustrated at times to the fans, but he's working around the injured players and getting some good results. He is a good manager, but there are times when we wonder why he's still there...but that's the same story with every manager in the game.

They give up quite a few penalties. If/when Blackburn give up a penalty we can only hope Friedel slips or something as he's done quite well with them. Keep track of Bentley at all times. McCarthy is due for another goal being that his last Premier League goal came against Liverpool 14 October...I just hope he can wait until you travel to Charlton.

Friedel has been great for Blackburn on penalty saves alone (remember Sheff. Utd.?). Bentley has also been good. I can't resist asking, are Blackburn fans disappointed with Jason Roberts so far?

2-2

18. rogoftherovers

RE: Re: Blackburn Rovers vs. FULHAM, December 2nd 2006

In response to the Roberts question.

I think most fans would agree its to early to tell, he was injured the 3rd game into the season with a groin strain, came back then broke his foot against West Ham a couple of weeks back.

Rovers fans love McCarthy, and would like to see Nonda score a few more goals!

19. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I'm not seeing the cubs analogy either. People love the cubs everyone always hates on Fulham. Were probably like the Baltimore Orioles. Although the Baltimore Orioles may have won something once.

As for the soccer middle class question. Tough to say. Immigrants are a large portion of participants here and their not upper or middle class. The game of the suburbs though is undoubtedly soccer.

20. rogoftherovers

Could I ask you another question?

Why Fulham? I understand the McBride and Bocanegra link, but Rovers have Friedel, Man City have Reyna and Beasley, so why Fulham?

London club? Anything to do with it?