Bittorent - How does it work?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ChicagoTom, Jun 2, 2006.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I would like to think I have gotten better with time in doing what I want and need to do on a PC, but something new has come up I need some help with.

What is Bittorent? How does it work and what do I need to do to get files from Bittorent?

The reason I ask is because I found all the episodes from "The Office" BBC on a Bittorent site for my iPod, but I have no clue how to download them and such.

Can someone please explain this a bit more and help me better understand what I might need to do to successfully download these episodes?

Thanks in advance!

2. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Here's a good overview for you Tom: http://www.dessent.net/btfaq/#what

It works like any other peer-to-peer file sharing program but it allows very large files to be efficiently distributed to a very large amount of people. Thus, what it does is that, as a file becomes more popular, it becomes easier to download by giving that file more space/bandwidth on the bit torrent server.

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Thanks a lot Mike! It is making more sense now. I will read that tutorial and download the program later this weekend at home. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Weren't their offices just raided by the Swedish police for having pirated material available...who knows how long that stuff will be there.

Oh the laws we create. :3d crying:

5. rumstove

rumstove New Member

I like the download available at bittorrent.com as I haven't had problems with it yet. A great site to find torrents is mininova.org and when choosing which file to download look for the one with the most seeds.

6. tibor

tibor New Member

I really like a program called Azureus for my client. It can be found on http://azureus.sourceforge.net/. It has a nice MAC client for us OSX lovers out there.

If you have a firewall of some sort at home, don't forget to allow the specific port whatever program you use for it through, for Azureus it's 52525, I think. Doing so will give you a more solid connection and quicker download times.

My personal bias is still using old school Usenet with GrabIt. :)