Biggest Money Match of them all ...

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, May 22, 2010.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

... is, believe it or not, the CCC playoff match. The financial impact on the winners is impossible to overstate.

I'm hoping Blackpool wins. It will be illuminating. 8) And I like Ian Holloway.

I'm hoping Cardiff loses. I like Dave Jones, and his side plays good football, but Cardiff fans are on a par with Millwall fans -- we don't need to see those thugs at the Cottage this season. I AM DVRing this match, but NOT the Special One Show.

Come on You Tangerine Dream! :banana: :banana: :banana:

2. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

From relegation favorites to the Premier League. Brilliant year for Blackpool. Unfortunately, they're on the hook for facility improvements to even get into the Prem, so most of that money is already spoken for.

Given the talent level of the club, their poor defense, and the lack of money to improve the squad, they should rival Derby's 07-08 run unfortunately.

But it's a great accomplishment for the Tangerines nonetheless.

3. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Some great play by Blackpool -- that free kick by Charlie Adam for their first goal was brilliant. I though the last two goals for them were as much due to poor defending as anything else. A corner kick that goes through 3 defenders on the line? Amazing. Still, Blackpool made Cardiff pay for their sins, and I look forward to them being in the top flight. Their all time legend Jimmy Armfield is pretty pleased too.

That Adam is a player, he's led from the front for them all year. Keith Southern, their MOTM in midfield, is pretty OK too.

4. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

One of my football drinking buddies is a longtime Blackpool supporter, so I was hoping this would happen for his sake.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Blackpool's first signing needs to be a 'keeper. Their's was a walking disaster in the waiting.

Perhaps we could loan them Stockdale.

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

This is the beauty of relegation/promotion. They'll finish 20th next season, but for their fans a chance to see top flight football in their home stadium (and get the upgrades to the stadium paid for) for the first time since 1971. It is an amazing story.

Their manager Ian Halloway will be a great interview. If anybody saw his rambling "proper people, and what is wrong with the country today" postmatch talk with the trophy in hand is classic. All reporters seem to do is ask a question and get the hell out of the way.

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Ever wonder why more clubs don't go to Spain or Italy for keepers? Both countries have youth basketball programs, right?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And you can tell Don's an anglophile:

Sticking possessive apostrophes on a possessive pronoun is a particularly 'Brit' foible. Dunno why.. just is. Even some of their best writers make that typo on their and your.
    Some lesser brit writers just stick apostrophes everywhere there's an 'S'.

8. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

No sticker on your post, Don.

9. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Thank you God for bringing Blackpool up and not Cardiff.

10. jmh

jmh New Member

Any particular reason?

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Not wanting to speakfor the Godfather, but see my note above:

I know this from the years Luton Town shared a division with the Bluebirds.

12. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

So how exactly could Cardiff be allowed to play in the English Premier League, is it because the were grandfathered in the English FA when the Welsh PL formed in 1991?

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

timmy, the same way that Wrexham can play in the English Football league along with Swansea and, in my day, Newport County. England and Wales have a closer governmental relationship than do England & Scotland or England and Northern Ireland.

As someone pointed out elsewhere in Cyberworld, had the professional teams in Wales decided to stay in the Welsh league rather than get into the English pyramid, Cardiff and Swansea would be in Europe every season. Back when there was a European Cup-Winners Cup, one or the other qualified most seasons as winners of the Welsh Cup.

And, although you didn't ask, there is an English team in the Scottish professional league system. Berwick prefers to play in the Scots league rather than the English league -- primarily because seasonal road trips to Plymouth, Bristol, and Brighton could bankrupt them.

14. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Thank you, fair sire.

And I guess this happens in other nations.

Most notable I think is Derry City F.C. of Northern Ireland who play in the Republic because of sectarian issues.