Becks = Captain?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by quickdraw, Aug 17, 2007.

1. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I must say that I am a bit surprised by this. I figured they would at least wait for the next season to make this move.

After reading all articles about his game against D.C., I would honestly like to believe that Landon manned up and put the team before himself. I just don't know. I can't seem to trust anything out of Hollywood - even their soccer team.

Question is this - is this a smart move? I think it is. As some people have brought up about McBride being awarded the captaincy, it sometimes distracts them from their main job.

I'm just happy he got his first MLS match so soon. It would have been torture for him to hit a dry spell. I am starting to believe this may work.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

don't know any of the details or rumors for that matter, but if he's captained England and Man United, I think he can captain LAG.

3. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

Re: RE: Becks = Captain?

Sorry about that. I guess I should have posted the article.

http://soccernet-akamai.espn.go.com/new ... 15&cc=5901

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Becks = Captain? Why it matters..

One fan on the BS DC forum put it exactly.

"It matters to us, because Donovan can treat this in one of two ways:

He can gracefully step aside and take this chance to study Beckham's attitude and communications qualities and apply them to his leadership of the USMNT

or

He can make all the right sounds to the media and his team mates, in player speak, but mentally slink off and resent being usurped"

Given Donovan's reputation, which I do not think is fully deserved, the question remains.
    I SURE hope David has considered this... but for some reason, I bet he has.

5. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

RE: Becks = Captain? Why it matters..

I watched the Superliga game between LA and DC. Beckham WAS the Captain. I don't just mean wearing the armband. He was directing players with him mouth and with gestures the entire time he was on the pitch and had a few one-on-one chats with players during dead times. He is a competitor and wants to win - if he has to become an on the field coach to do it, that's what he'll do. The Galaxy looked like a completely different team from the game on the 9th.

I don't see how Landylakes can have any complaints. He's not captain of the USMNT anymore and I think he prefers it that way - less pressure and spotlight on him. Not to mention he has realized how much better HIS season will be with Becks passing the ball to him (check out Beck's pass on Landy's goal in that game - Becks can do that all day long against the average MLS defender).

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Andy, you touch on the nut of it, there without realizing it, perhaps.

As the best player on the US, Donovan can -whether he's the captain or not- exert much field-generalship.

Schelotto runs Columbus' offense without an armband. May not be exactly the same thing, considering his 'aura'.. but Landon IS the best player.

7. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Class move by Donovan.

8. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I think Landon leads best when he does it subconsciously, leading by example. IMO, he is less effective as a player when he is Captain as he can't or doesn't focus as much on his own play.