Baseball Offseason

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by FFC24, Dec 14, 2009.

1. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Today has been a huge day in baseball. Here's what's happened.

The Red Sox have all but signed Lackey. Great move for the sox as they have a dominating staff with some pretty good offense.

Oh, but that staff aint shit compared to what the Mariners are going to have up top. The Phillies are "likely" going to trade Cliff Lee to the M's and the Blue Jays will trade Halladay to the Phillies.

Oh and the Angels signed Matsui.

People will talk about Halladay' but the M's have the best 1-2 punch in baseball and they don't even look like they're close to done this offseason. The shift in power in the west is on.

2. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

The prospects that are needed to make this trade happen are rolling in. Michael Taylor from the Phillies and Phillippe Aumont from the M's will probably be heading to the Blue Jays. I don't know anything about Taylor, but Aumont was going to be in the major leagues soon was was going to be a star. Aumont is a pitcher and was our #1 pick a couple of years ago. I hope Truinfel isn't part of this trade!

3. IanHux

IanHux New Member

You forgot about Chone Figgins. If you ask me, he is exactly what the M's needed aside from bolstering the pitching staff.

4. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

He is a good signing, but we still need for more on the offensive side of the ball. Branyan was likely a one season player which was a big part of our offense last year. Hopefully we get a big bat or 2.

5. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I'm reading that Cliff Lee wants Sabathia type money. I'm not sure how much money the M's have, but I very much doubt we can sign 2 pitchers to contracts like that. Remember, Felix is having talks on an extension too and he should be our priority.

To make things worse, Triunfel could be part of the deal with Aumont leaving as well. I hope this isn't the case, but I guess it was likely to happen.

Mike Cameron has signed with the Sox. Decent day for them.

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Okay Mariner fans (that includes my own Brother), if the Lee deal goes through, I like your chances as my Halos are going backwards. Losing Figgy (Chone Figgins) and Lackey, 2 of our rocks and the last 2 from our Championship team hurts badly. Signing Matsui, who won't get to hit pop up homers like he could at Yankee Stadium doesn't excite any Angel fans.

7. IanHux

IanHux New Member

I just hope the M's have to money to lock up Lee. It's been far too long since we've challenged for the division title. I agree with 24 though, we do need a big bat. Otherwise we'll see the rapid decline in the squad after '01. Good pitching, just no offense to support it.

8. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Sounds like the Jays may have played this right in the end, getting more than was offered down the stretch during the season. What I care about however is the impending Mauer-Twins negotiations.

9. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

The Angels sit back and let the Yankees trade for Javier Vazquez for Melky Cabrera. Is anybody else scared of this team? Their rotation is loaded and they have a damn good offense. A repeat is looking likely.

The Mariners just made a wtf type move by trading Brandon Morrow to the Blue Jays for Brandon League and a prospect. That prospect is probably going to be awesome as Morrow is a decent player and the deal needs to balance out. Apparently Zach Stewart is possible to be going to Seattle.

Why is this a wtf move? Morrow leaves a huge hole in our rotation and both players from the Blue Jays are relievers. The bullpen is already pretty damn good so I'm guessing this trade happened because we're going to make another deal. I'd be happy to sign Doug Davis to give us a 4th starter and making a trade for a big bat.