Baseball 2015

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by jumpkutz, Apr 4, 2015.

1. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Is upon us, starting with Cardinals-Cubs at Wrigley Sunday night. The questions in Cardinal Nation are 1) Did we stand pat too much in the off season? Opening Day roster is pretty much the same as last season's closing day roster, with one notable exception. Was sorry to see Danny Descalso go, but it was time. The core of our squad, despite their stellar track, is getting long in the tooth. Holliday, Molina and Wainright, along with Lackey, are up there. How long can we continue to rely on them? Plus, Jay, Carpenter, Lynn, Garcia, Rosenthal and Wacha aren't gonna sneak up on anybody any more. 2) Which Jason Heyward will we get, and will we sign him to an extension? Only time will tell on that one.
    The rest of the NL Central is much improved, especially the Pirates and Cubs. And I'm not ready to write off the Reds straight from the beginning, as many seem to be. And even thought they didn't do much during the off season either, the Brewers spent an awful lot of time leading the divsion last season. I doubt they've forgotten how to do that. Whatever happens, it's still my passion. Following it day to day all summer never bores me. A new day means a new opportunity to start a winning streak. I love it.

encorespanish and nevzter like this.
  2. jumpkutz

So far, so good. I think Heyward's got some quality plate appearances left in him. And Yadi's really slimmed in the off season. Almost didn't recognize him.

3. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Can Yadi stay healthy is my biggest question. Once catchers start getting injuries they can pile up.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

nine days until the San Antonio Missions open their Texas League season

5. FulhamTX

FulhamTX Active Member

Loved that my Astros were able to get a win over the Indians to start the year, especially since Klubber was dealing. Both he and keuchel were in top form. Great game to watch. So glad baseball is back :)

HatterDon and encorespanish like this.
  6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The AL West should be wide open as Father Time and bad contracts will more than likely derail my Halos. There is 85+ million tied up with Weaver, CJ Wilson, Pujols, and Hamilton...yikes. Zero flexibility and foolish to think those 4 will turn back the clock.

7. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

S. Grey is an ace for the A's.

Gigantes open with a victory, then on Tuesday we learn Cain is headed to the DL with elbow tightness (yikes) and Peavy has a bad back and will miss a start. Father time is not a friend of the SF pitching staff either; amazingly though, absent a switch here or there, the core of the Giants' bullpen has remained fairly constant for the past 5-6 years; last night it looked pretty crappy except for Casilla.

So, so happy to have baseball back.

encorespanish likes this.
  8. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

I love the first week of baseball. It's the only time in recent history that sees the Astros with a winning record!

encorespanish, jumpkutz and FulhamTX like this.
  9. FulhamTX

FulhamTX Active Member

Anybody going to see any of the early games? I'm going to see the Astros in Arlington against the Rangers Saturday and Sunday.

10. jumpkutz

11. FulhamTX

FulhamTX Active Member

Just got back from rangers vs Astros and man what a game. Astros win 6-4 in 14 innings, George Springer robbed what would have been a walk off grand slam in the 10th inning. Awesome game to be at. Baseball is awesome :)

12. SoCalJoe

Black cloud over the Halos locker room as it looks like owner Arte Moreno is drawing a line in the sand and may attempt to void Josh Hamilton's contract. Oh, and KC swept them…again :(

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Hamilton try to snort the first base line again?

14. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I fear the "Fathers" in the NL West - they could give the Dodgers a run for their money. And speaking of the Dodgers, they are talented and very deep, and barring injuries or a clubhouse revolt, they'll probably win the NL West again. The Rockies might turn some heads, the D-Backs I can't get a read on and the Gigantes, well, it's an even # year, so I'm going with the superstition trend that they'll not make much noise. Plus my Giants look like a MASH unit right now.

15. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Go O's!

For me, baseball before the 4th of July is just preseason. I'll pay attention then if the O's are in the mix. Hopefully we didn't lose too much offense.

16. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

As a seasoned sometime Reds fan it's somewhere second week October for me.
    Lol!

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

With the Astros turned into MK Dons, I went back last year to the two teams I supported as a mere child -- AL=Bawmer, NL=Nevzter Town. I also cheer for the Angels, because that's how you stay married 38 years.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  18. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

HYmm... I see your point Don.
    I got an idea. Maybe if they moved to Nashville?

19. FulhamTX

FulhamTX Active Member

I know I shouldn't do this. It's a bad idea. I know we're only 14 games in to a very long season but I have to get a little excited here.
    The Astros were losing tonight 3-1 going into the 8th inning against the mariners. They promptly scored 5 runs in the top of the 8th and win the game 6-3, if this was last year or the year before or the year before that they lose this game. Astros are now 8-6. 8-6. 8-6 and have won 4 straight!!!!
    Now your probably thinking "dude it's so early and its not like your 13-1" and yes of course you would be right, I should calm down. But I can't. My team has been soooooo bad in recent years, and I felt coming into this season we would be pretty good.
    Astros haven't been even close to good in April since probably 2006. Baseball is my first love and the favorite of all my sports teams is finally making me proud again. Yeah I've always watched and kept up with the team but for the first time in a while, I can't wait to get home and watch this team play. They are a joy to watch and man I'm just so jazzed up! I can't contain myself!
    Ok I need to stop. I need to go to bed. Gotta work in the morning. Sorry for the long post if anyone even reads it.
    Go Astros!
    God it feels good to have fun watching baseball again!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    nevzter, SoCalJoe, astroevan and 2 others like this.
  20. SoCalJoe

TX, the AL West is wide open this year, so no reason the Astros can't contend. Even though they are in the same division as the Halos I like it when fans of long-time struggling teams see a change of fortune.

Last year the feel good story was the Royals, well that goodwill from the neutral fans is long gone as they were in the middle of a brawl...again. Their young ace Yordano Ventura is an amazing arm talent (like a Pedro Martinez or Tim Lincecum when they were young. Small in stature, but able to throw it 98 mph), but for some reason he thinks when batters hit it back at him they are doing it on purpose. He was ejected again last night against the White Sox. Not going to lie, would love for someone to clock him so maybe he'll stop acting like a punk.

encorespanish and FulhamTX like this.