Baseball 2014

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by jumpkutz, Jul 4, 2014.

1. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Game 1 went from one of the most stressful games I've watched in a while to the most fun. I've got my obnoxious orange O's shirt on and am ready for Game 2.

Jump, I get that it was a really bad call. But in the 29 years since, the Royals have missed the playoffs every year until now. Meanwhile, your Cards have 13 postseason appearances, have played in 5 World Series and won 2 Championships in that same time. I'd say you already got the better end of that deal.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

This is already the post-season of the big inning.

I'm enjoying it so far. My O's and Giants are 3-0

3. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

That was a great win for the O's!!! I was going nuts.

Looking like we might be the only team to win at home. So much for your OPaCY theory, Don.

4. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Orioles were very impressive against the Tigers. I'd say they're the team to beat at this point.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

both my teams are 3-0. Bawmer is already through and the Giants are going home with three chances to win 1

me likey

6. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Game 1 of ALCS at home on my birthday where's that dancing banana...

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Well that SUCKED!!! Hated the signing 2 years ago of Josh Hamilton, but he's been worse than I could ever imagined. When he was hurt (80+ games) the Halos had by far the best record in baseball, when he played he was a shell of himself and an anchor in the lineup, the Angels were barely a .500 team. He didn't play the last month of the season and he looked like he was trying to catch butterflies at the plate. Scioscia should kept his butt glued to the bench. Trout and Pujols didn't hit much either, but Hamilton is a cancer and the antithesis of what is called around here the 'Angels Way'.

Happy for Royals fans, but it's time for the carriage to turn back into a pumpkin. Rooting for the O's w/y'all (sorry Jump, do hope you guys beat the Blue Scumbags), and looking forward to visiting Baltimore for the first time this weekend, bummed there isn't a game Thursday. Timmy, let me know if your friends are taking you out on Friday for your birthday and the game. Have wedding rehearsal stuff that day, but the groom is a huge O's fan and we will be getting in front of a tv somewhere (I'm hoping the game is at 8 O'Clock).

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  8. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Oh man, oh man, oh man, oh man....

I think Bumgarner brings it home today. He's unflappable.

I missed viewing SF v. WAS innings 11 through 18 on Saturday because I went to watch my Quakes lose to the Timbers. Thank goodness for iphones.

9. jumpkutz

We've got Lackey going tonight, who's been less than stellar since the trade with Boston. He got mad when they made him skip a start late in the season to give him some extra rest that he apparently didn't think he needed. Then he went out and pitched one of the better games he's had for us (there is no "best" game). I'm not optimistic about this one, I just hope Matheny doesn't have to burn the whole bullpen to stay in it. If he does, I don't see a return trip to Chavez Ravine in our future.

10. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

No surprise Lackey came through since he has always been a post season beast with the Angels and Red Sox.

All the pressure on Kershaw with a day's less rest. He gets lit again and that 'great regular season, but playoff failure' tag with be firmly attached.

Pressure on Giants to close out the Nats

11. nevzter

I'm feeling the pressure - Bumgarner just $hit the bed with that throw to third on the bunt, but Posey came out and took the hit for telling him to throw to third. Just stupid all around, but that's baseball and the Nats pulled it out. Giants can't hit, and the Nats can't hit also (aside from Harper and Rendon). Gio v. Voge today - fingernails will probably be gone.

12. jumpkutz

I'm pinching myself. 4 straight NLCS's. Nobody in their wildest dreams in Cardinal Nation saw this coming. And the guys who run the Cardinals right now are geniuses. Lackey sucked during the regular season, but he came up money last night. That's why they went out and got him. And tonight, well, there's no rhyme or reason to a young left handed power hitting first baseman hitting one out in that situation after looking really bad on the previous pitch. They say you make your own luck, but the baseball gods are smiling on us right now. There's no other explanation for the team that couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat suddenly turning into Murderer's Row.
    At least until the next series. Fingers crossed.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm scratching my head trying to remember a post season where Sandy Koufax gave up two leads and lost both games.

nope, can't think of it. I think Kershaw has several miles to go before he's in Sandy's county.

encorespanish likes this.
  14. nevzter

Cards v. Giants - these clubs are familiar with each other in the postseason. This should be another classic playoff matchup between these two, who will both scrap, scratch and claw for every win. Congrats to Jump, looking forward to this series.

And who's this Kershaw in October? His performance in the playoffs is not a one-off anymore, it's a trend.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

There's going to be an Orange and Black World Series. Bawmer v. San Fran. My dream matchup: I can't lose.

16. jumpkutz

Koufax pitched in an era when starters finished games. As did Gibson, Drysdale, Marichal, Palmer, Seaver, Koosman, Carlton, etc. Pitch counts? Meh. These guys get babied and conditioned to throw between 5 and 7 innings to get their win total up so their agents can use it as a bargaining chip when it's contract time. That's why it's been so much fun watching the Cardinals the past few years, especially in the post season. Don't have the numbers, but I'll bet Waino and Chris Carpenter have more complete games between them than many pitching staffs did this season. When they were right, both guys would be given every opportunity to get a complete game (although not as many as Gibson...but he's my favorite Redbird of all time).
    The Giants always give us trouble in the playoffs. Always. Should be an interesting series. As will the Royals-Orioles. Chomping at the bit for this round to get started!

17. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I'm going to the game tonight and tomorrow! Also going to Chili Brew 8 prior to tonight's game, so maybe catch up after the game? Or tomorrow evening?

Email me at timmyintransit(at)gmail!

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

well, THAT's a great way to spend a birthday, young sir!

It's time for me to tell my tale of woe with post-season baseball. In the early 80s, we lived in Anne Arundel County. Despite shift work and almost endless TDY, we always got partial season tickets at 34th Street and watched around 25 games a year. When the Orioles won it all in 83, we applied for playoff and then World Series tickets in a lottery. We didn't get them.

After the O's split the opener at home against Philly, we attended a military formal occasion where we were seated with a naval officer whose wife -- a travel agent -- had invited her boss and husband to the affair. THE topic of conversation at the time was the Orioles and I said that we were both life-long baseball fans and were disappointed not to win the "ticket lottery." The "boss lady" said, "Well, we have box seats for the whole series in line with 3rd base. When the O's come back from Philadelphia, you can have our tickets for game 6." To say we were excited is putting it almost negatively. But ... .

The O's didn't come back. They swept the Phils on the road and there wasn't a game 6. It was tough watching game 5 on television and trying to cheer as our World Series tickets flew away.

19. nevzter

awesome, enjoy sirs. my boy and I are headed to game 4 for STL v. SF.

20. jumpkutz

And I shall be going.....nowhere but the couch. But the TV's looking good. so.....