Barcelona vs Red Bulls tonight

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Coog, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Coog

Coog New Member

ESPN2 at 7:00 PM Eastern

I watched FCB against Guadalajara the other night and other than it being a mismatch, the only surprise was that I don't think there were more than 2 tackles the whole game. I couldn't believe I was watching a Mexican team considering how dirty they played in Super Liga ... or a we Gringos call it Super League.

2. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

I will be there along with FulhamUSA's own jmh and mgmcfarland (who has never posted, but nonetheless...he's a member). sublicon will also be attending. Anyone else going?

3. jmh

jmh New Member

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some sort of unspoken agreement along the lines of "you sell a lot of tickets when we come to North America to play friendlies over the summer, so keep it clean or no more cash cow for you."

4. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Great balls of fire, this is embarrassing -- 4-1 Barca at the half, and only by RBNY being butt lucky is it not 7-1. Humiliating.

5. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

4-2

Got one back!!!

COYRB

6. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

6-2 Barca.

7. jmh

jmh New Member

Yeah, Barcelona is just better. What can you do?

8. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Admitting it should suffice.

9. Silas

Silas New Member

It also doesn't help that Barcelona is playing the worst scoring team in MLS. Granted, it would be dominance regardless of the MLS team, but it would certainly have been better had they been playing New England or Houston.

I must say, you always know that those players are so athletic and fast, but it was extra noticeable tonight against the slow Red Bulls, especially Samuel Eto'o. Man that guy is quick! He's a step quicker than any other Barcelona player and two steps quicker than any Red Bull.

10. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Personally, that was the most impressive half I've ever seen Eto'o play. His first touch was amazing and composure on the ball was insane. As silas said, "man that guy is quick". In the mix of the Barca show, lets not lose track of the maestro of their club, Xavi. He is the heart of that side and his vision and passing dictate the pace of the game. For a neutral, it was an exciting match to watch.

11. jmh

jmh New Member

And yet the Red Bulls managed two goals, which is more than Barcelona expect to give up on a weekly basis in La Liga. :D

The RBNY defending... eh.

12. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Not a surprising result. As they were calling out the starting XI, jmh and I were like, "Well, he's world class......he's world class......and he's world class......"

13. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Unbidden thoughts come to mind.. a hypothetical pre-season match against ManUre and the outcome, thereof. Mind you, I am far from an apologist for RBNY.

14. sublicon

sublicon New Member

Do your research before you open your mouth. The worst scoring team is in San Jose, the next worst scoring team is in KC. Next year's worst scoring team is coming to Seattle. Enjoy!

15. jmh

jmh New Member

But hey, they'll probably have Kasey Keller! 8)

16. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

But Keller is no Brad Friedel. End of season, he'll almost certainly have zero goals.
    heh...

17. Coog

Coog New Member

Red Bulls were fortunate that the Meadowlands had natural turf laying on top of the artificial turf. The ball slows down a lot quicker on that surface. If the match was played on a normal grass pitch, the score could have been worse. It didn't appear the players were slowed down at all, just the ball. I watched the US vs Argentina a couple months ago on the same field and the ball was stopping dead after it rolled a little bit. It wasn't as bad a couple nights ago, but it still affects the game.

18. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Well I doubt you've seen Le Toux play. He's scored somewhere around 6 goals in the Open Cup (now i'm probably horribly off but i'm too lazy to check) including one against Chivas. Although he won't be able to handle the scoring load next year. I've been impressed with the front office though and I expect them to build a team that will stay out of the cellar.

As for the barca - red bull game I'm just happy that they got 2 goals against a world class side like that.