Auto log out

Discussion in 'FulhamUSA Introductions and Announcements' started by Clevelandmo, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

The site is logging me out automatically after not being logged in very long. I've made several posts, thinking I was logged in, only to find out that I wasnt. As a result, world changing posts have been lost in cyberspace forever, and the world is a lesser place because of it. I guess I can pay better attention to my log in status. Is this a problem for anyone else or just me? If it's the same for everyone I imagine we will lose quite a bit of posting traffic as a result.

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

If it was yesterday, the site's server went down for about 40 min around 1pm EST? That could have been it. If not, I'm not sure. Anybody else have this problem?

3. Clevelandmo

It just happened again. I dont think I've been logged on longer than 15 min and I was writing most of that time. Just wrote a masterpeice on Landon Donovan and it was lost in cyberspace. Oh the despair. :sad-teareye:

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

What browser are you using, and do you have multiple windows (or browser tabs) open at the same time? Has the forum always logged you out, or is this a recent occurrence?

And is there anybody else having the same trouble?

Just fyi...i will be doing some (hopefully) quick maintenance to forum tomorrow morning (maybe that will fix your troubles?). I am hoping it will only take 15 minutes, if not... :cry:

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I think I may have stumbled upon the answer in google.

http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=98122

It seems the forum will bounce you after 15 minutes of no activity (typing a message doesn't seem to count). I think if you check the log me in automatically box below, that might enable you to compose long messages without you getting bounced.

6. Clevelandmo

It's happening even when it shows me I'm logged on. Too frustrating.

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Mo, I still haven't done the maintenance to the board yet. But I got rid of the login on the front page, as I think that may be the culprit. I suggest clearing out the cache and cookies in your browser a couple of times too.

8. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Forum Maintenance

Maintenance is over, everything seems to be in working order. Let me if anybody runs into something that doesn't work. Thanks.

9. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

To be safe you can always copy and paste what you have just written, that way if the log in is not working right you still have it.

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Jim...do you ever experience what Mo is talking about?

11. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

It does it to me quite a bit, but I always do what Jim said. Then if it kicks me to the login, I just go back to the thread, hit post reply and paste what I'd already typed. I use Google Chrome, if that matters.

I've run into that on other sites over the years, so copying before I hit submit is an old habit by now.

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

It doesn't matter what browser you're using, but you may need to clear out the browser's cookies. The login on the home page was tied to both front page (joomla) and phpbb. Two different pieces of software running the site, joomla has a default automatic logout of 15 minutes of inactivity (I bumped it up to 25 minutes last night, and Mo still had problems). That login module may have been the cause of being bumped out, so I got rid of it for now. I always log into the forum and hardly use the log in on the homepage (if ever), and never get bumped. I can surf other sites for long period and still post without problems. But I wouldn't be surprised if there are still cookies in your browser from previous sessions that may be causing trouble...that's why I recommend clearing them.

For chrome...go to the wrench, "Preferences", "under the hood," from the drop down box select "the begining of time" and check "Delete cookies and other site plug-in data." I often set my browsers to delete cookies when I close them. It can be a little bit of a hassle in terms of remember passwords for sites and such. But I like my computer being "clean" as possible. And as mentioned above I don't have problems being logged out, so that may be the solution?

*Of course, our site's consistent server timeouts can cause problems as well. :angry-banghead:

13. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

No I have not on this site, but have run it to it on FB a few times when I was typing a message.

14. Clevelandmo

I'm still having this problem and it can happen even when I've only been logged on for 2 minutes. Really annoying. I do what Jimsig suggests but that's annoying too. It limits the amount I post, which is probably good for the rest of you, but my concern is whether it's discouraging others, especially newbies, from posting.

Heather I have not cleared my cookies as you suggested. I'm assuming that will affect all my bookmarks and I dont want that to happen.

15. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

It won't erase your bookmarks if that's what you mean. if you have an auto login's remembered for site's you will have to re-enter them, but that's about it.