Arsenal v. Fulham [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Fulham can win. Probably won't, but Arsenal can't score these days.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and here's today's lineup

TEAMS Arsenal v Fulham
    Arsenal: Almunia, Sagna, Toure, Gallas, Clichy, Arshavin, Denilson, Diaby, Nasri, Van Persie, Vela. Subs: Fabianski, Ramsey, Song Billong, Djourou, Bendtner, Eboue, Gibbs.
    Fulham: Schwarzer, Baird, Hangeland, Hughes, Konchesky, Davies, Murphy, Etuhu, Dempsey, Johnson, Zamora. Subs: Zuberbuhler, Nevland, Gera, Kamara, Dacourt, Stoor, Kallio.

Baird wins the RB slot for the suspended Paintsil.

3. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

What a fantastic effort today! I'll take the point. Great job boys!!!

We'll get 3 points on Wednesday. Match airs on Setanta via delay at 6 pm or 6:30 pm Eastern I believe.

COYW!

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Headine: Arsenal didn't score because they weren't good enough to score against us.

Perhaps the most entertaining 0-0 draw I've seen in ages.

Danny Murphy, the Emperor of the Emirates.

Still going with the full beard thing.

5. martin

martin New Member

I will take the point but, man, it could have been 3. We missed some good chances. Kudos to the defense, Hangman in particular. We were on the back foot most of the second half but they held it together. Murphy was fantastic and Davies was everywhere. Some big saves by Schwarzer. Stoor looked lost.

6. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

We should have taken all 3 today but I will take the draw and 4 point from Arsenal this season. All in all that's 6 points from 5 games vs the Big 4 this season so far for a record of 1 win, 2 draws, and 1 loss, if my figuring is correct. Not too shabby IMHO.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

actually, that'd be 1 win, THREE draws, and 1 loss. If you'd like to add today's that's really 1 win, FOUR draws, and 1 loss. 7 points from 6 matches

Fulham 1 Arsenal 0
    Liverpool 0 Fulham 0
    Aston Villa 0 Fulham 0
    Fulham 2 Chelsea 2
    Man U 3 fulham 0
    Arsenal 0 Fulham 0

8. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

the Aussie, Hughes, Hangman, Konch, Baird, Murph, Etuhu, Davies, Zamora, Demps all played really well today.

Etuhu is MOM for me.

9. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

Ooops I knew it was 3 draws, typo.

10. jmh

jmh New Member

Good result.

11. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Good result; better performance.

I was on the edge of my seat watching, when I wasn't pacing. We came SO close to winning.

12. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Probably Fulham's best performance of the year. Hodgson and the team are doing great.

13. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

It was a great showing from the boys today and they fully deserved the point. I thought that they looked every bit as good as Arsenal, taking the whole 90 into account.
    COYW!!!

14. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Just caught the rebroadcast -- solid performance at the Emirates library. Especially, surprise, the defense. Hughes does not get the credit he deserves for his performance. I thought he was huge today. Hangeland was a beast, as usual. Even Baird looked good, at RB no less, until he got injured, and Stoor was a step down today.

Murphy was great in the midfield -- a pro's pro who reads the game like the old vet he is, and Etuhu had his best game of the year so far. In particular he had a shoulder tackle or two that seems to have gone from the game now, man sometimes I miss playing defense.

The only place I thought we were lacking was up front, but give credit to Arsenal, Sagna, Gallas, and an announcer said Clichy was poor today but I didn't think so.

A win would have been nice, as I'm sure you beardsmiths are scratching like mad now, but that was a very good performance and a point is a great thing to bring home from the barn of one of the big four. Especially since now we can laugh about the Old Trafford game.

It sure feels better in late Feb than it did last year! Thanks to all of the players for all of their efforts.

15. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Haven't read through all the comments yet, but just got done watching the game. A solid effort by the Whites. I liked what I saw out of the midfield.

Would have liked 3, but 1 will do, especially considering our road woes and our road woes at the big boys (I don't think we have ever won at Arsenal).

I think we are all in agreement that Mark Schwarzer is a stud.

16. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Fantastic performance from the boys. In particular, it was so much fun watching the Arse chase us around at the end of the match. Quite a change from watching long ball under Lawrie last year. How many times did we win possession in our own penatly box and instead of hoofing it updfield, turned and held possession? I can't say enough about the job that Roy has done with this team. Etuhu and Murph continue to impress me. I agree Stoor was our weakest link, however I do think he has a lot of potential. I thought he made some very nice runs up the right side and was slightly above average passing. Under Roy I can see him devoloping into a solid right back. Schwarzer was el hombre in goal once again, and Simon Davies might just be my new favorite White. The guy is everywhere and more then held his own throughout the match. That run he made through the center of the park was a thing of beauty. Excellent performance, and had we been more lethal in front of goal we would have run out winners. Props to the FSC announcer who gave us full credit at matches end saying we more then fully deserved the point and could have taken all three.

17. sullytex

sullytex Member

With Schwarzer's current form one could argue that he is in the top 3 keepers in the Premiership right now. I'll take the point and the performance. Should have a lot of confidence going into this busy 10 day stretch. I have not looked but I would guess it was not until May last year that we had secured 34 points. Well done Woy and lads.

18. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I don't think we had 34 points until our win on the last day last year.

I think we had 33 points going into the last game against Portsmouth.

19. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I was seriously worried about this match on Friday because I didn't know what to expect considering we now will play 3 home matches in a week which, of course, include a HUGE cup game against Manure. My main concern is that we would hold back against Arsenal...man, was I wrong.

We more than held our own at he Emirates especially at the end when we just passed it around for fun. The most impressive and surprising stat of the day?! Fulham 52.8% possession. Damn.

20. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

I am now 'officially' passing the mantle of "The Genius" from Bill Walsh, may he rest in peace, to Roy Hodgson.

What a display of skill the boys put on, they maintained their shape throughout and the tactics enabled them to get behind the Arsenal back 4 on many occasions. Fun to watch.