Armistice Day: a totally unobjective personal opinion

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Nov 9, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I didnt want to soil GBFC's thread with this as the heroes of WW I should be honored without rancor to anyone..

But this is also a good time to reflect on the far-reaching effects of national interest on the world we live in.

And MY point is that France should forever be banished from any influence in international politics.

It was the terms of the Armistice, which were largely dictated by France, that led to WW II; France was mostly interested in making sure that Germany was destroyed economically and humbled to the point of a third world nation. Unfortunately the allies went along with this.

And that selfish, over-punitive effort gave rise to Hitler's Nazi's.

Later... it was France's bumbling and short-sighted defense program that allowed Germany to practically walk into France and hand power to the Vichy government.... which didnt resist sending Jews to the east in cattle cars.

Then there is France in Algeria..
    Then there is France in Indo-China: when they got humilated at Dienbienphu, militarily and strategically, they came to the US with their hat in hand and asked us to take over for them in Viet Nam.
    After which, they got chummy with their former enemy Ho Chi Minh.. and their intelligentsia did everything possible to see us defeated.
    - why was that? Because France HATES to see anyone succeed where they have failed, and that says all that needs to be said!

And recently, of course..their underhanded ass-buddy relationship with Saddam and the Oil for Blood deals Chirac and his cronies made with him, under the auspices of the equally corrupt UN.
    And now when France is failing in 'uniting Europe' in their mold. And has not a clue of how to fix their ridiculous situation in which they are not only fostering Youth/Muslim riots by their parochial and biased social/employment programs, but building resentment and breeding neo-nazi 'strike-back' feelings.

No... I'm sorry, but once again the thoughts of Armistice Day leave me wondering just how many times the English speaking countries will have to bail these idiots out.

Yes, French IS still the language of world diplomacy:

Je me rends. Queest-ce que je peux te donner?

2. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

You are to specific. Try:

France should forever be banished.

If France no longer existed it would save the French the embaressment of having to come third each time there is a major confilct!

I would like to add too that it is not just English speaking coutries that bail France out, A number of the soldiers from WWI & the sequal came from India and Nepal.

To be slightly more balanced - its the Parisians that I dislike - the rest of France also dislikes them.

3. GaryBarnettFanClub

This site is a little rambling but makes some nice points about the French.

http://www.francesucks.com/

A quick addition:

Also, not wanting to stir up a hornets nest, but they did help a little when you colonials revolted against mother England. :big grin:

4. pettyfog

Read a little MORE.. it was nice, safe, morale boosting help.and, as usual, for their own benefit in the larger picture.
    German mercenaries actually shed blood.

I will never disparage the bravery of individual french or French soldiers, like the Marquis de Lafayette... it is when you give them power to make decisions for others that they are despicable.

5. GaryBarnettFanClub

They similally dabbled in the affairs of the Scots! You have to go back t
    o 1066 to the last time the French won - and even then it was the Normans rather than the French. Once they arrived in England, it did not take them too long to disown their old country!

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

GBFC,

Of course, around 700 years later, they helped some wild colonial boys open up a huge vat of whup-ass on some dudes in red coats, but we'll just give them an assist on this. :lol:

Petty,

I leave you alone for 5 minutes and you're trashing the French? In relation to Veteran's Day? France is one of the few countries we've never fought against in a war! Where's the connection, I ask you? :shock:

7. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Petty is still overheated about Tuesday. He has to let off some steam somehow so why not turn to the always reliable French abusing? I imagine he'll be this way for a while.

8. pettyfog

DAMMIT DON...again you substitute what you FEEL, and were indoctrinated with.. ignoring the point I made on how much French blood was actually given im the American Revolution.

You find a site that contradicts what I said, and I will eat my words!

We never fought them {since the French-Indian war} because they would get their freakin asses handed to 'em... and they know it.
    I mean strategically, not necessarily on a unit to unit basis.

But they HAVE been our realpolitik enemies more often than they've been our 'friends'

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I disagree ... here ... on this site ... and I don't go looking for sites that agree with me. How boring would that be?

Lighten up dude; I was messing with you. I think Spencer has you pegged.

10. GaryBarnettFanClub

Good for Pettyfog, it is a noble subject.

They have a famous philosopher called Rene Descartes. He was originally a mathamatician and BRAVE soldier responsible for artilery. He became a philosopher whenhe r an away and hid in an oven until he lost sensation and came up with "I think therefore I am".

He was proud that being a coward let him to this sentance!

The most famous painting in France - the Mona Lisa painted by... An Italian.

11. pettyfog

YEah... heaven forbid anyone should actually have to THINK about what they 'know'.

And BTW... I thnk the "French-Indian' war against us British illustrates my point perfectly.

Who did the fightin' and dyin', who made the plans and reaped the profits?

I can see the French University student marches now:
    "No blood for {our} furs!"

Heh... NEXT!

- - - - --
    "We British.."??? what's the rule for that, a no-rule rule?

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Of course. It takes a lot of deep thinking and sober reflection to hate an entire nation and to paint it with a few simplistic strokes. And of course, anyone who doesn't denigrate an entire nation and its people must be too stupid to know that they've been duped all their lives.

Another failing of mine. How lucky I am to have Petty to point it out.

Until you are capable of showing a little respect for people who have opposing views, I'm off all non-fitba topics on this site. See ya!

13. GaryBarnettFanClub

When it comes to American War of Independence I agree with Pettyfog. The British made a grave error in Boston and the French recognised it. They did what they could to destablise the situation. The main impact made by the French was at Battle of the Chesapeake. Having said that - the American Mutiny is not my field of history so I am willing to be corrected.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

We are still suffering from our short-sightedness in leaving you, GBFC. Although our cuisine has survived the break nicely.

Several years ago I toured the Yorktown battlefield with my oldest friends. She was actually born within the sounds of Bow Bells, and got bombed out to Bedfordshire with the rest of her family during the Blitz.

Anyhow, it was a beautiful day, and at the end of the tour, she stood up on a table in the coffee shop and announced to about 15-25 stunned fellow tourists [all Americans of course]:

"It was all a mistake; Cornwallis had a headache; we're having it all back."

Gotta love them Brits!

15. pettyfog

I'm sorry Don... but I'm also sorry you jump to conclusions about my motives and dont read what i say.

But I cant MAKE you read what I say and take it as such..

Like, when I said: I will never disparage the bravery of individual french or French soldiers, like the Marquis de Lafayette... it is when you give them power to make decisions for others that they are despicable.
    I could add the French Resistance in WWII to that, as well. No shortage of courage, there.

16. GaryBarnettFanClub

This is not on - while you will never win an argument with Petty (in his eyes) the rest of us enjoy the balance you bring to the conversation.

Mocking a nation because of a sterotype is par for the course, we all know the Brits have bad teeth and yanks are overweight!

PS I really do have bad teeth - I lost half the back one when I had my jaw busted in a fight!

17. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I think the attitude of the French is summed up rather succiently by one of there most famous (infamous?) philosophers, who said, ................... "Hell is other people."
    ~ Jean-Paul Sartre

18. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

From the looks of the pictures from the Surrey v. Middlesex match, you English (and I actually hear the rest of western Europe) ain't too far behind in the overweight description. American Mike looked to be one of the fittest lads out there.

19. pettyfog

I can tell you what did it for me:
    From 195 lbs to 150 lbs..
    Eat fewer pastries and more fat... but that's just me, mebbe only works for 'Right-Wingers'

20. GaryBarnettFanClub

Like I say "Mocking a nation because of a sterotype" - we have deep fried Mars bars! I am just about holding my weight but I have to do a lot to make up for sitting behind a desk all day!

Beating up the French is an English pasttime, it works in reverse. I worked with a Frenchman for many years who came in every moring and said "Good morning roast beef!" before slating the English for most of the day.