ArisUSA: EJ & Adu

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by andypalmer, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Jensers

Jensers New Member

You are right - if they have hopes of getting in the WC team it doesnt make sense to come to MLS at this point.

To be honest - that thought didnt even cross my mind tho - I dont see them having a snowball's chance in hell of doing squat at the WC.

These players are a joke at the moment - even Robinho knows when it is time to go home and get your crap together.

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Jens, thought the same thing when I saw the video. However, saw highlights of their home match v Greek giants Panathinaikos (sorry, don't have the link). It was a packed house, and a fantastic atmosphere. EJ had the best sequence he's had in years when he made a great play to set up a teammate who passed back, and EJ's wicked shot was miraculously saved to preserve a 0-0 draw.

3. Jensers

Jensers New Member

You are probably right. I know nothing about greek football... Only the few highlights I have seen and it looks like Fulham going to whateverthenameoftinyclub in the FA cup.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

5. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

6. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Thanks for the highlights. Aris is becoming the Eddie and Freddy show. :lol:

Astonishing defending though,

7. Clevelandmo

8. SoCalJoe

In this week's Sports Illustrated (not sure if its on si.com) w/Phil Mickelson on the cover there is an article on Freddy entitled 'Didn't You Used To Be The Future?'. It's an interesting read on his European odyssey.

Great quote from the president at Ligue 1 Monaco; "Everybody had the same analysis. He had incredible talent, yet he was lacking standard tactical knowledge that most players his age had. It was tied to the fact that he became professional at 14 and in some ways stopped learning at 15."

Now if that's not an indictment on MLS coaching and Freddy's own work ethic...

Freddy for his part remains outwardly confident in the article and believes that he's only 20 and will still reach his goals. However when he's quoted "I was always satisfied in making one or two great plays during training and thinking I had a great practice. Coaches see the times you cut off passing lanes or get behind the ball. Those are the things that tell them they can count on you for 90 minutes." Don't you want to shake your head and ask 'Freddy it's taken you six years to figure this out??'

9. Jensers

Jensers New Member

He is right - he is only 20. I am sure that his MLS coaches were 100% aware of his issues but were under pressure to put him on the field and showcase him
    vs.
    Making him understand what it means to be a professional and what was required from him if he is ever to reach his potential.

Europe has had to teach him that. I guess we now get to see if he has the stomach for it.

Sorry to be a naysayer, but my money is on... No - he doesnt.

10. pettyfog

The story, HERE

I dunno it was a problem with coaching.. seems to me his problems always been pretty basic.

One of the touted 'hilights' of his MLS career was his taking the ball looping it over his shoulder and dribbling through 5 Rev's who were cast as 'roadcones' at the moment.

Vision and tactics trump individual skills over ninety minutes, every time.

Otherwise we'd be seeing that amazing Brazilian kid juggler in the bigs.

11. SoCalJoe

Is EJ making a late push for SA (or at least an invitation to camp)?? He scored both of Aris' goals v Olympiakos in the Greek playoffs yesterday. First goal on a good header from a Freddy cross, and then a late on horrendous backpass he stole and calmly slotted past the keeper.

12. pettyfog

If he isnt making a push, I'd have lost any residual respect for him.

Question being.......

13. Clevelandmo

Nowhere Land for Adu

Aris said Adu doesnt have a role in their plans and now after a trial, Swiss side Sion says the same thing. Poor Freddy.

http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mod ... nt&id=6567

He should just come back to the US where he has people that will support him if he is willing to work.

14. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

RE: Nowhere Land for Adu

I remember when he was bought by Benfica and thinking the price was way too low, now I'm thinking MLS robbed them blind.

15. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

RE: Nowhere Land for Adu

I don't see Adu coming back to the MLS unless he takes a huge pay cut. He gets paid over a million a year or so over there and that is DP money in the MLS and I don't see any MLS team shelling out that type of money for him.

16. pettyfog

Re: Nowhere Land for Adu

You're right. No GOOD MLS team is gonna take a chance on him at those wages. We already see that it's going to take more than just native talent to make it.
    I'm wondering if he sends teams that ridiculous hilite play against the Revs.. the one where they played Center Road Cones.

look at this list of2003 Bradenton players.

{note Michael Bradley}

Szetela, Adu and Eddie Gaven were in there. Of those three... God Bless Eddie Gaven! The guy just works his ass off week after week.