Anyone Remember Ray Evans?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Jensers, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Played for Spurs during their strong years in the 70's, then Millwall, Fulham, and Stoke in the late 70's and Early 80's.

He lives and works near me - I went and had him sign my copy of "The Glory Game."

A really nice fella. A footballer from a completely different era. It was really a pleasure to chat with him for a few moments and hear a little bit about the book and his life as a footballer. Hope to find time to hear more.

In the Book, Hunter Davies talks about how different the game and the contracts were back then - he says, "It is hard to believe that any of our stars of today will end up as postmen."

But with the players of that era - that is just what they became - normal working men, police, plumbers, postman, teachers, and in the case of Rey Evans - a Parts Manager at a Honda Dealership.

Amazing stuff - what an memorable day.

Just thought I would share.

[​IMG]

2. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Oh - and sorry about the Spurs shirt in the Fulham forum. I put it here because he also played for Fulham...

3. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Hi Jensers, thanks for the photo.

I think Ray Evans would have played in my first ever Fulham game in 1977, but I was 3 and don't remember. I only know that I went because my father told me so. No-one can remember the oposition though.

I am only assuming he played as the game I saw was towards the end of the 76-77 season with Moore and Best in the team, Evans was an ever present from 11th March 1977 until the end of the season. He is listed as having played right back during his time at Fulham.

4. Jensers

Jensers New Member

No worries.