Anyone here going to World Cup?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by JP-STL, May 7, 2010.

1. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

Just wondering if any folks on the board are traveling to South Africa for the World Cup.

If not for five kids at home, I'd love to go. In one of my most touching moments of fatherhood, my 11 and 12 year-old sons saw an advertisement on Fox Soccer Channel a couple of months ago for tours to South Africa for the World Cup. They went to the website of the company, and started filling out forms and making ticket choices, and came up with a package that would cost $6,000. They did all this without my knowledge. Then, they went to their mother and asked to borrow $6,000 from her to send me to the World Cup. "He really wants to go...and we promise we'll pay you back over the next couple of years."

My wife wouldn't give them the money (damn her!), but I was so touched.

I still dream of going. I'd love to see Africa. And, there are plenty of tickets available: http://tinyurl.com/satickets

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

That's pretty thoughtful of them and very cute. I wish I could go, maybe in a few years. Hopefully, they will choose a north American host soon, but I doubt it.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

evidently more match tickets have been sold in the USA than in any other country. Says something.

Oh, HI SENATOR!

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Sweet story about your sons.

People are speculating that European sales were so low due to people's concerns about security. Al queda-Africa (sp?) has threatened to attack the USA-England match, and you have the attack at the African Nations Cup to consider. Though, I think the economy could have something to do with it also.

The only people I know that are going are a few South African ex-pats. One SA expat I know is not going due to security concerns, and frankly that is enough to keep me satisfied with watching the WC at a pub with loads of other USA fans. I just hope the players will be safe.

5. jmh

jmh New Member

Wish I could go, but the money isn't there.

JP-STL, that story about your sons is great.

6. RDG

RDG Member

I was thisclose to going!

I got The Boss to ok it and all. THEN, I realized that a trip that far would necessitate business class at least (she has a DVT), and the cost of flights and decent hotels (plus side trips) would run up a TON of money. AND, it would be WINTER there!!! So, I decided on two weeks in London and Paris and saved a bundle.