All without a #9

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Coach K, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Coach K

Coach K Active Member

Last year Fulham proved you can score heaps of goals without a true target striker or classic #9.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/july/28/squad-numbers
    Interestingly enough, they left the #9 shirt unassigned maybe in hopes of Rolan or another striker still to join?

Personally, I liked Matt Smith or even Russ McCormack, but I didn't like they way they made our offense more narrow, more direct. With Aluko and Sess, Cairney, Johansson, Ayite and Kebano. I think thats plenty of offense and a much more difficult team to defend.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Woodrow is a classic English #9, so we have one there if we want one. Joka likes width, and while that isn't the opposite of having a classic #9, last year he felt better off with the pace at right and left back as well as marauding midfielders. It was a good combination then and I think it'll do us well.

As I've said before, I think that keeping McDonald and Cairney in the fold was more important to us than to any two possible new signings. We're still strong through the middle and with pace on the wings, this could be a fun season.

encorespanish and tslyon like this.