4-6-0 Anyone?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Jul 13, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

On several of the FFC sites, there's been speculation that we might NOT go after a 90-minute centre forward this season. Some posts have intimated that the line-leading striker position is going the way of the sweeper and the attacking centre-half -- relics of bygone eras.

The theory is that packing your midfield with ball handlers and insightful passers will get you more goals in the end. So, 4-6-0 anyone? If we go this way it certainly would allow Woy to field, for example, Dempsey, Gera, Davies, Bullard, Murphy, and Andreassen simultaneously. Of that sextet, Dempsey and Gera are certainly proven finishers. Recognized strikers like Nevland or Johnson [or Zamora? or CJ] would then be 2nd half subs to shake things up.

Here's a recent related CCN article:

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress ... by-zamora/

Although a certified set-in-my-ways old fossil, I'm starting to warm to the idea. So, how do the rest of you feel about a 4-6-0 for FFC?

2. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

I'm generally all for any way to get the best 11 players out there at the same time.

3. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Although I have my reservations about it I like the idea. I do believe I've never seen it put to use. When I read the title it looked like a team's record so I got a nice surprise when I read the post.

4. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I like it in the sense that you can mix up the attack and keep the defense guessing where it will come from. I'd think this would increase the chances of forcing the back 4 into mistakes in their marking assignments. It would also seem to make it easier to exploit weaknesses in the oppostion defense or overload one side to open a back door on the other.

The drawbacks would seem to be in the quality of finishing between a mid and a proven striker and that our mids strike me as having fairly average speed. Of course we don't have a proven striker on hand anyway, and our strikers seemed to be neutralized more often than not in Roy's 4-5-1, so I'd think this would increase our scoring chances. Plus, without having seen it, it would seem to be an attractive style to watch (assuming you don't lay in midfield and play defensive).

5. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I have to say ixnay to the idea because I am partial to having someone on your side whose bottom line job description is to put the ball in the net. Fulham is not so resource deep that they can afford the luxury of having a striker who doesn't have to pressure the defense, or put in crosses, or get stuck in a la McBride in the air, but I want someone -- preferably two -- who can score. Look at our rise last season. Kamara with 2 goals against City, McBride with goals against Reading and Brum -- our fortunes started to change when Woy put two strikers on the pitch, as I recall.

And I posted on here when things looked very dark last year that we need two strikers the rest of the way out, what have we got to lose. To be sure, my correct tactical advice is like a stopped clock being right twice a day.

I am not sold on A. Johnson, especially because he is a diver and will be good for a card or two as a result, and am hoping that E. Johnson is maturing into the player that he can be. He has screwed his head on tighter than it was two years ago, it's time to see some numbers from him.

6. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

We need someone on the pitch who can play with his back to goal; most midfielders can't do that. For that reason alone, I prefer a 4-5-1.

6 midfielders is good for the counter-attack, when their quick passing ability will find lanes, but once the defense has had the time to settle, you need someone who can dig in the middle of the box, play with his back to goal and create for someone else when the defense is forced to collapse on him.

7. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Nope. I've always been a fan of the Dutch 4-3-3. That's how you get the goals. Not by having 6 midfielders on at the same time. You have a super pacy Johnson leading the line with 2 quality wingers and you score goals galore. The problem is defense, but I'm a fan of score more than the other team anyways. We don't have a midfielder on the roster that can get us 10 or more goals. None. Put Davies on the right and somebody pacy on the left with Johnson in the middle and you'll score at least 55 goals a season just because of the formation and attacking play itself.