2016 Centennial Copa America

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by jumpkutz, May 13, 2016.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Words cannot express how I feel about El Tri being eliminated from Copa America.

Oh, wait a minute! How about these? SEITE A CERO // SIETE A CERO

Yeah, those'll work.

2. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

I think anytime that you put on the national team jersey, it means something. Someone on here (I think Jump) was asking why they sure care about this tournament. I don't know about the rest of you, but I - and I don't even wear the jersey as a player - get hyped anytime the national team plays. There's something about hearing the national anthem at the beginning of a match that gives me goose bumps and fills me with pride... and if there's the possibility of a trophy at the end....

3. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I absolutely did not see anything close to the Chile-Mexico result happening. I thought that was going to be an outstanding matchup and NOT.

nevzter likes this.
  4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The El Tri game was a train wreck, you couldn't keep your eyes off of. It reminded me of a youth game. The goals were basically tap-ins, lucky it didn't end 10-0. I can only imagine what the Mexican press said the next day.

BarryWhite likes this.
  5. SoCalJoe

Yahoo is my homepage, and to open the computer and see the headline for tonight's game 'Biggest Match in US Men's History' was surprising. I'd would either go with 02' WC quarterfinal or the Columbia match of '94, what are the biggest matches for you? Will be rocking my Dempsey black jersey (my better half bought for Father's Day, but gave it to me the morning of the Ecuador match, got to say, it's pretty sharp) w/the San Gabriel Valley chapter of the Outlaws in Covina @tim @LaxAttack.

Will be interesting to see the lineup, a couple of keys:

• Michael Bradley must bring it tonight. He has the ability and in the final 15 minutes his heart and determination were on full display v Ecuador. Expecting Beckerman in which would allow him to be more offensive. Oh Captain our Captain.....LET"S GO!!!

• Shake off opening nerves. Expecting Argentina to create some good chances in opening 10-15, just hoping we can withstand them.

BarryWhite, tim and nevzter like this.
  6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Absorb (Brooks and Cameron and Guzan have been brilliant) and counter. I wouldn't be surprised with a 3-0 Argentina win and to the same, a 2-1 US wouldn't surprise me. I'm curious as to what the 11 will be, particularly up front. And %$#*#&# the federation that denied the Jones and Wood appeals. Jones has no business being suspended, terrible call - yeah, there's no emotion in these matches, Wood, regrettably, I could accept as a running rule that was applied.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  7. nevzter

And Wondo needs to atone for Belgium - he scores tonight b/c i lit a candle.

8. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Between the suspended players and playing Argentina my expectations are low but my hopes are high.

I've been a Beckerman fan for years but I don't think he's the answer against Messi and company. However, without a formation change that moves Cameron into midfield I can't come up with a viable lineup that leaves Beckerman as substitute option.

SoCalJoe and nevzter like this.
  9. nevzter

"my expectations are low but my hopes are high" - BW

That was my mantra entering bars in my 20s. It seemed to work out ok. COUSA!

I think Beckerman can do the job - even against Argies

SoCalJoe likes this.
  10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It could get ugly out there. I expect we'll lose by two goals. I just don't want us to pull an El Tri and have half the side just going through the motions against a relentless attack.

Talked to the head of my cardiology team and he says that Mexico supporters will be rooting for us against Argentina so that we can get ass-whupped in the final like they did in the quarters.

11. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I'd love to be optimistic, but I just don't see us getting a sniff of their goal without Woods and Jermaine. Perfectly willing to be proven wrong as hell, but I also think Messi, Higuain and DiMaria will have a heyday against our defenders. The defense has been much better, but these guys are not just a little better than our opponents thus far, they're a LOT better. The best we can hope for is a gallant one goal defeat. Anything above that is a miracle. And anything can happen if it goes to kicks from the spot.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

True, Bedoya was key in shutting down attackers and Bobby created space and worried defenders. Deuce needs someone to deliver that ball. I hope JK starts Zusi. I have a feeling that he and Beckermann might make it at least interesting. I'll be watching in any case.

13. SoCalJoe

Funny you mentioned Mexico supporters Don, I saw the Argentine coach hope the Mexican fans in Houston would pull for them. All the El Tri supporters I know say Mexican fans HATE Argentina.

Saw the Chilean team got a new soft drink sponsor... 7-Up :D

14. nevzter

In the words of Ric Flair: Wooooooooooooooo!!!!

15. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Argentina is really good. The US played like crap. Even if they didn't play like crap, they likely weren't going to win.

Messi's free kick was unreal.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Somebody on Facebook was raking Guzan over the coals for the goals. Not. His. Problem.

Bradley was as bad as I've seen him in a long time, and certainly the JK love affair with Wondo/Beckerman has got to end.

Good news? Wood and Bedoya will be back Saturday. If they had played tonight, I think we would have only lost by two. Speaking of our opponents, all I've heard about Messi and his national team has been negative, but he has been superlative this tourney. He's good enough to be mentioned in the same breath as the two greatest players I've ever seen -- Pele and Cruyff -- and a pleasure to watch even when he's destroying the RW&B.

BarryWhite and nevzter like this.
  17. SoCalJoe

We certainly missed the 3 players (HD, Jones would've helped as well), but Argentina is on a mission and weren't about to take us lightly. Michael Bradley has been awful for 2 years now, the guy from 3-4 years ago is lone gone and I'm afraid he's never going to return. He literally has forgotten how to pass the ball to anyone else but the opposing team. I have a question that deserves it's own thread...

nevzter likes this.
  18. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Just another day at the office for Albicelestes. And we were just bad. Midfield was a disaster. But about what I expected. Guzan took a half step the wrong way on Messi's free kick but, even if he hadn't, no way he gets more than a fingernail on it, if he's lucky. And Wondo's two bonehead plays that led to it were typical of the subs' contributions. The question is: Where do we go from here? I think we're stuck with JK on the touchline through Russia, so somebody needs to put a bug in his ear about team selection. We've got to have better options than Wondo, Beckerman, Zusi, etc. Somewhere. I've seen better players here in USL, for goodness sakes.

nevzter likes this.
  19. nevzter

that was painful and i agree with the above posts. at some point when bradley took the armband he lost his talent - it's truly strange to see his regression. I expected a loss but also a better effort by all. Guzan was maybe at fault for the first goal, then whatever...Messi, in about the 20th minute, had four US defenders around him and he kept driving forward instead of going down. Because my wee one is a Barca supporter I've seen that for the past couple of years and it is a joy to watch the best player on the planet commit to continuing his play because it ultimately ends up rewarding his club/team. Wondo was a rough choice, but as I've made clear, he is close to my heart as a Quakes family. My boy said he would make up for the Belgium miss yesterday and oh how I wish that were true.

20. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Well that was disappointing - not entirely unexpected, but certainly disappointing. So much for JK's talk about taking the game to the opposition. We seemed a bit star-struck for most of the game.

Maybe Guzan could have reacted better on the first goal, but who was marking Lavezzi? You can't let a guy have a free run inside the penalty area like that.

I've heard a lot recently about the depth of the US team. It certainly doesn't seem like we are quite there yet, with everyone's comments regarding the lost players. I think there were better options than inserting the over 30 squad.

nevzter likes this.