2015-2016 League Cup (Capital One Cup if you prefer)

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Aug 8, 2015.

1. ChicagoCottager

ChicagoCottager Active Member

I'd rather play Tuesday than Wednesday.

On a serious note, here's the lineup I'd like to see from Kit:

[​IMG]

Regardless, I think Kit will field a strong team because his job may very well ride on getting a win here.

2. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Things I'm looking for today...

Handling pressure. Huddersfield didn't really press us, but I expect ShefU to play a high line & try to turn us over.

Overlapping fullbacks. While it's ideal to have wide players who can use pace to get to the byline and play in crosses as well as take people on and cut inside, you can get away with what we have. When we played with Dempsey & Duff inverted, both preferred cutting inside most of the time. The key is to have the fullbacks overlap to provide width. That hasn't been happening & it's hurting our attack.

Running the channels. He didn't score, but Dembele made good runs to stretch the defense and create openings behind him for the midfield to utilize last match.

Attack faster. Have we hit anyone on a counter this year?

No injuries. Can we please get through a match w/o a player going down. Pretty please?

Subs. Fresh legs matter Mr Symons.

Set piece defense. Not holding my breath though.

The team and supporters could really use a win and a good performance. Hopefully we get one today.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    BarryWhite and jumpkutz like this.
  3. Coach K

Coach K Active Member

The odds makers have an in-form Sheffield a likely upset, whats this FFC world coming to.

I agree, Dembele and Woodrow should get their rewards for looking sharp against Huddersfield. I'm going to be checking in when i get a chance. Lets make this happen today, 3-1 to the Cottagers and we get back to the business this weekend.

4. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Is Hutchinson fit? Thought he was out after coming out early against Huddersfield.

5. ChicagoCottager

Good question. I haven't seen anything saying he's out so I'm hopeful he can play. I'd like Burn and Hutchinson to get as many games together as possible, because I think those two have the best chance at building a solid partnership at the back (barring a new signing).

6. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I'll just ditto Matt since he's covered everything I was going to add and then some.

7. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Team: Lonergan, Richards, Ream, Burn, Voser, Christensen, Tunnicliffe, Kačaniklić, McCormack, Pringle, Dembélé

Hopefully Ream has a good first outing for Fulham.

8. AggieMatt

Guess that's Tunnicliffe in for O'Hara. Kaca on the left & Pringle in for Cairney? Curious to see how Ream/Burn goes. And then Ross...probably should be sat, or do you keep throwing him out there to play him into shape/form?

9. ChicagoCottager

I'd guess Kaca on the right and Pringle on the left. Seems clear that Kit's gonna play Ross until his form shows up, or until he's sacked...

10. jumpkutz

Well, this isn't good, although they're supposedly OK. The larger question is how Cairney can afford a Porsche on C-league wages... image.jpg

11. AggieMatt

Beginning to think someone has put a curse on us.

12. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Dare I say... Michael Jackson???

13. AggieMatt

We were in decline before the statue went up.

14. ChicagoCottager

From all accounts a great second half performance from the boys and a much needed win (especially for Kit's toasty bottom). If we're going to criticize when it goes wrong, we have to give credit where it's due when it goes right. I didn't want Ross to play today, but Kit started him and he was the MOTM. Hopefully that will get him going because we need an in form McCormack to push for promotion.

15. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Great second half performance. Though it sounds like we had the upper hand in the first half as well - just couldn't put any away. Hopefully this performance has started a upward trend in form for Mack and Dembele.

...and we host Stoke City in round 3 the week of Sep 21.

Another home draw and, dare I say, another winnable match.

16. jumpkutz

Sounds like the second half is just what the doctor ordered. Now if we can just carry it forward for a few matches. And it sounds like Mr. Ream acquitted himself well in his first start. Won't hurt that he was on the pitch for 2 of our 3 goals, though he really didn't figure in either of them. But you're absolutely right, CC. We aren't gonna do squat without McCormack being, well, McCormack. Hopefully today was the jump start he needed to get going this season. We need him to be consistent like this the entire season to have a chance at anything resembling a threat for silverware or promotion, if it's even remotely possible. It took a while, but we finally warmed up to beating the second string of a 3rd tier club, something we should be able to do without blinking. Encouraging, but not hugely so. I'm still waiting for the form we displayed when Kit was the interim manager. Just wondering if we'll ever see that again.

17. AggieMatt

Good result. Good to see Ross & Dembele get on the board, hopefully that carries over. Sounds like we'll play better out of the back with Ream in the side. Other than that, I'm really not sure how much you can take from it considering Sheffield put their 2nd unit out there. Still, a win's a win & we're moving on to the next round.

18. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

19. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

Looks like lots of action. Glad to see a second half go our way.

20. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

Given that Sheffield were playing their second unit they SHOULD have won. I've seen enough Fulhamish results following this team that I'm happy anyway.