2014-15 FUSA Manager Sacking Pool

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by dcheather, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Andersons11

Andersons11 Member

Things like that are inevitable. Think Pardew went before he was turned on again?

2. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Ol' 'Arry may be next.

3. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Almost got it.

jumpkutz likes this.
  4. jumpkutz

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

No surprise Paul Lambert shown the door at Villa. Started the season well, but have been wallowing in the mire for months. They've scored 12 league goals....ALL SEASON, that's ten goals less than anyone else, Villians got their work cut out to survive.

6. tim

tim Active Member

And from the "please let it be true, although there's not even the slightest chance of it" category...the UK tabloid rumor mill has one Jurgen Klinsmann in the running for the vacant Villa post.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Yeah, although I've warmed up to JK a bit, I'd be more than happy to let him go. My only problem? Who would we hire as a replacement?

jumpkutz likes this.
  8. jumpkutz

Whom indeed?
    I don't see this happening. Why leave California, USA for Birmingham, UK? I think he's hooked on America at this point.
    Don't really care who succeeds Lambert at Villa. They're a mess anyway. Is Lerner still trying to offload them? I've lost track...

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Lerner pretty much starved a huge club to death. Fulham supporter bitch at Khan for being pecunious, but Lerner has been the real cheapskate.

10. SoCalJoe

Call it the Curse of Darren Bent. Lerner shelled out a ridiculous fee for him and was burned so badly the purse strings tightened post haste.

The only decision that comes close in terms of stupidity by Lerner was when he hired Alex McLeish from archival Birmingham City...After McLeish guided City to relegation...doh!!!

11. jumpkutz

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

13. AggieMatt

The haste most teams display in both firing & hiring managers is ridiculous. Obviously Poyet didn't get alot of time but I can also see the case that he wasn't a good fit for the personnel on hand. They were anemic offensively under Gus despite having some talent in the forward positions.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

October 2013 through March 2015 is not what I'd describe as not getting a lot of time. He had three full transfer periods to get it right. That's a reasonable amount of time to put your stamp on the squad.

15. SoCalJoe

Sunderland should change their nickname from the Black Cats to the Duncan's. They are the ultimate yo-yo club.

BarryWhite likes this.
  16. AggieMatt

That's a little longer than I thought. I should have looked it up instead of trusting my memory. However I disagree about 3 windows when two of them are the notoriously tough January windows. Two summers and a winter would be more reasonable, especially for a side at the bottom 1/4 of the table.

I still think the time frame is out of whack and most managers/coaches should be given 3 seasons, barring the unmitigated disasters like Magath or DiCanio. That's the downside of relegation though.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  17. AggieMatt

Thanks for the 70's flashback. I vaguely recall Duncan yo-yo ads from then showing tricks like walking the dog, etc. I'll have to check YouTube later.:)

18. jumpkutz

Anybody wanna wager a farthing on Pellegrini being next?

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

If I were a betting man -- I mean for real -- I'd lay half a large on him being gone VERY soon.

20. AggieMatt

Is there any more volatile sport for managers than European football? Won the title in his first year, on the hot seat in his 2nd b/c they might come under pressure for a Champions League spot.

It's like these clubs (Arsenal excepted) are oblivious to the fact that it's a game of musical chairs now. There's no clear big 4 playing for 4 spots anymore. Perhaps they should look at putting more effort into getting a 5th spot. The spending in the Premier League compared to other leagues justifies it.