2013 Gold Cup

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by nevzter, Apr 5, 2013.

1. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Apparently, CONCACAF has altered the format of the Gold Cup so that the winners of 2013 and 2015 will have a playoff to determine who represents the region at the 2017 Confed Cup in Russia. Thus, this summer's tournament has an increased importance for the USMNT.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/04/upd ... hange.html

2. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I like it since I don't like the "off years" (although I do like seeing some "B" or "C" players getting a chance like Holden or Goodson in 2009).

I also like that you can make four roster moves after the group stage, so you could rest a Dempsey/Donovan/Bradley during the group stage then bring them in for the really important games.

Also, should be interesting for Mexico since they already have qualifiers and the Confederations Cup this summer.

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Thanks to Laxattack I now know the preliminary Gold Cup rosters were released. And not shocked to see a certain Donovan named.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer ... z2V9hIqfeQ

4. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

That is a fairly strong squad - remember, a Gold Cup victory this year equals a chance at the Confed Cup via a playoff with next year's winner.

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yeah, I think the only question mark, in terms of seeing them perform for the US, is the GK position? Rimando has what, 6 total starts for the US? Will be interesting seeing how these players come together as a group and who gets into a starting lineup. Any chance of seeing Corey Ashe making it, he's listed as a LB? Be nice to see some more options at that position.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, perhaps, but it looks to me that JK is -- rightly -- using his A team elsewhere. No Guzan, no Howard, no Dempsey, no Bradley = no interest.

What would it be if we won the Gold Cup and didn't qualify for the WC? Fulhamish?

7. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I'll probably buck the trend and be interested. :D

8. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The Gold Cup for US fans just got a whole lot more interesting as Landon Donovan has been named to the squad. LD has been saying all the right things, and this is the way to show everyone that he is sincere about getting back into the "A" squad.

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yes, a well motivated Donovan is a nice sight on the field. Otherwise, he might as well stay in Cambodia.

10. tim

tim Active Member

No Boca on the final roster. Similar to Joe's post over in the Yanks Abroad thread about Dolo...I have to wonder if we've seen the last of Boca in a U.S. shirt (at least, in a competitive match). Hopefully JK will give both a proper sendoff in a friendly at some point. In any event :bow-yellow: and :greetings-clapyellow: for our captain.

11. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Final squad (didnt see it posted above). Not naming Boca is a mistake, especially considering the only real defensive midfielder on the list is Beckerman. If that isnt a complete 180 from the rosters der kaiser normally names. I predict this will comeback to haunt us.

12. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Who should the starting keeper be? I haven't seen much of any of them, so more informed minds must weigh in.

Glad Wondo is in, would've liked to have seen somebody like Mike Magee and Chris Pontius get a shot.

We OWE the Mexicans big time after the Rose Bowl fiasco.

13. LaxAttack

If the World Cup was tomorrow, I would select Rimando as our third keeper, but I think Johnson or Hamid (Johnson slightly over Hamid) should get the reps in this tournament.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I have a funny feeling that Boca contacted JK and said, "Don't pick me; no thanks."

15. SoCalJoe

Boca needs to get his club situation straightened out, since playing in third division of Spain (Racing Santandor got relegated) isn't exactly ideal, and he is trying to find a better situation. Boca has had a great run, but it's the right decision no matter who the coach is.

With the new rule where the '13 and '15 Gold Cup winner will have a playoff for the '17 Confed Cup this is a perfect situation to go with the mix of players. I wish that Guzan could have stayed on, but totally understandable that he needs a break before going back to Villa.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/14862 ... ut?cc=5901

16. LaxAttack

His loan with Racing Santander is over so he is back with Rangers......who will be in the third division in Scotland next year, so not much better.

Taylor Twellman said during one of the U-20 games that he heard that Boca might return to MLS this summer (on a slight tangent, but sticking with 30-something central defenders, Clarence Goodson just signed with San Jose).

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Rangers is in the Scottish 2nd division this season. Granted it's the 3rd tier, but still ... .

18. LaxAttack

That is what I meant, the third tier.

19. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

20. SoCalJoe