2013-14 FUSA Manager Sacking Pool

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Aug 17, 2013.

1. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

2. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

When slogging it out in a relegation battle it's good to read about dysfunction among clubs you're battling. Only thing I knew about Tan was he was the one that after 100+ years of wearing blue (makes sense since they are the Bluebirds) changed it to red because that's his favorite color :shock:

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, actually he changed their kit to red because red is considered a lucky color in some Asian cultures and he figured it would increase sales of their jerseys in Asia -- and he was RIGHT.

Mind you, when I watched them hosting Man U earlier this season, I was constantly confused about Cardiff wearing red and United wearing blue. It seriously took me about 35 minutes to stop being confused every time a player's name was called by the announcer.

5. AggieMatt

Mackay skipped the Friday press conferences today and it's being reported that the Chairman at Cardiff (Dalman) has convinced Tan to go to Wales for a final discussion on Mackay.

Cardiff fans have to be beside themselves. Aside from the outright disrespect he's shown to their history and tradition as an outsider, he seems hell-bent on tinkering with a club that was punching above their weight. Sacking/forcing out Mackay could go down like Southampton's dismissal of Adkins, I guess. But based on the money he's put into the club so far, I doubt it. The financial numbers won't come out until next year, but if Cardiff aren't bottom three in wages I'll be surprised. No, this looks and smells like the equivalent of Wolverhampton's sacking of McCarthy.

Never ceases to amaze me how many clubs lose sight of their identity. That's not to say a club can't evolve and push on, but it takes time and a lot of money. I don't see the foundation in place at Cardiff yet. It looked like Mackay was building that, but it's come unstuck in recent weeks as Tan has continued to swirl controversy around his manager.

Good news for us though.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

cue Freddy Mercury :banana-guitar:

from BBC

Malky Mackay: Cardiff City sack manager

Malky Mackay has been sacked as manager by Cardiff City after a meeting of the club's board of directors.
    A statement on the club's website says a new first team manager will be appointed in due course.
    His dismissal came less than 24-hours after the club's 3-0 home Boxing Day defeat to Southampton .
    It followed a public row with the club's billionaire owner Vincent Tan, who wrote to Mackay on 16 December asking him to resign or be sacked.
    Tan also accused Mackay of overspending in the transfer market and announced the manager would have no money to spend in the January transfer window.
    Mackay's record at Cardiff City
    Played: 125 games

Won: 54

Drawn: 37

Lost: 34

Success rate: 43 %

The 41-year-old Scotsman refused to resign, and subsequently led the team in the matches against Liverpool and Southampton before his dismissal.
    Mackay had been in charge at Cardiff for two-and-a-half years after taking over from Dave Jones in June 2011.
    He guided the club back to the top flight of English football after a 52-year absence when they won the Championship title in 2013.
    The first signs of a problem between the owner and the manager emerged in October 2013 when the club's director of recruitment Iain Moody was removed from his post.
    Moody, a long-term friend and colleague who worked with Mackay at Watford, was replaced by a 23-year-old Kazakh Alisher Apsalamov who was friend of Tan's son.
    Moody played a major role in the recruitment of summer signings Gary Medel and Steven Caulker and the decision to remove him upset Mackay, who described Moody as "a class act".

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

lol... I can read the tea leaves from way over here. Hello, First division.

8. jumpkutz

Maybe.
    Maybe not.
    Already being named as a possible successor to Steve Clarke at Albion.

[urlhttp://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-brom-bid-pepe-mel-6450014][/url]

9. jumpkutz

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

11. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Recommend reading another piece in the Mirror.

Like with Clarke at WBA, there were certainly signs things weren't rosy.

But to paraphrase Rafael Honigstein, and something we all learned much too well and too late, here's yet another manager where the image and the reality couldn't be further apart, because many managers are lazy yet get away with it due to the sport's inherit opaqueness.

Not saying it's better, but to think NFL coaches here regularly work 100 hour weeks during the season, with one suffering a STROKE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GAME, certainly stands in very stark contrast.

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Here's the Mirror piece Timmy is referring to: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ng-3112286

It points out some of the problems I was telling Hatter and Aggie about in the chat and had read in some other publications. Doesn't shock me he was fired.

- See more at: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1463#p16614

13. jumpkutz

I've noticed a trend here.

It seems that the riskiest thing a manager can do at this level in this country (and maybe others, I don't know) is to succeed in a) getting your club promoted or, b) saving your club from relegation (especially if that's what you were specifically brought in to to do).

Consider the cases of Malky MacKay, Brendan Rogers and Paul Lambert. The former stayed put after leading his team to the promised land, then was sacked by crazy Vincent Tan. The latter two immediately bolted for greener pastures and, after rocky starts, seem to be relatively safe, at this point, than if they'd stayed. Then there's crazy DiCanio, who kept Sunderland up, but was sacked just a few games into the new season, despite saving the club from near certain relegation.

Why does one want to be an English football manager again?

14. AggieMatt

Laudrup is being fired for (from the sounds of it) mailing it in this year...and yet he walks with a 4.5M buyout. That's a big part of the why.

In this case, the trend is Laudrup's. He walked on Brondby, Getafe and Mallorca, not with another gig in hand, but b/c he thought he could land a better one. He was fired by Spartak Moskow for results and now Swans. Sounds like a guy who thinks much more highly of himself than most everyone else does. Also sounds like a guy who is good for one year and then tires of his location and lets it show in every area of his performance. Sparky needs to step aside, this cat is the real Mr Ambition.

Someone will hire him and will probably get burned for it.

15. SoCalJoe

One look at the headlines on espnfc, and you'll see 3 or 4 stories about ManUre's 'Greek Tragedy' yesterday against Olympiakos. A 2-0 loss in which a new low moment of the season was achieved, and the seat under Moyes is starting to warm up. His team selection yesterday has to be called into question. Tom Cleverly, Ashely Young, and the human statue previously know as the great Rio Ferdinand are either overrated or washed up. Rumblings from their best player RVP about the system being 'difficult' are popping up in the press.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Moyes won't get the tin tac. He has the SAF seal of approval, and that carries a lot of weight oop north.

17. AggieMatt

I agree but where I'd have once said, zero chance, I think there's a slim possibility. And I think it would be a mistake. Rodgers caught a lot of heat in year one at Liverpool and many were quick to say it wouldn't work with old stalwarts like Gerrard, Skrtel, etc. No one there is complaining now. Moyes is dealing with similar issues and has made mistakes growing into the role, but he also inherited a rather average side. Adding Mata turned things around in the league a bit. More activity in the summer and I think they'll be just fine.

18. SoCalJoe

Liverpool and Citeh put 0-3 Old Trafford whoopings on ManUre, what will Bayern do to them over the course of 2 legs? The natives are restless, and rationale is going out the window. The back four is horrible, Cleverly is overhyped and average player at best, and the only thing about Fellaini that resembles the player he was at Everton is his hair.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/17642 ... on?cc=5901

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The people in charge know that Moyes was given a sub-standard squad by United standards. I think there'll be a big buying spree this summer and United will be challenging for the title again next season.

As for Bayern, isn't United the only English club still in Europe?

20. SoCalJoe

The Undead are still roaming around also. ManUre is a sub-standard squad, but they are underperforming and what makes it worse is they are horrible at Old Trafford (6 league losses, plus getting knocked out of both domestic cups on home turf). If it's a 6-0, 7-1 aggregate Moyes ain't going to be around to spend the moola.