Yikes

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Eloc, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Eloc

Eloc New Member

2. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I think we'll be lucky to crack 30 pts.

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Ouch, such a pessimist. I think we'll get 2 wins by season's end, but not enough points to stay up. :cry:

4. tim

tim Active Member

For what it's worth, we were on the exact same point total with 6 to play in 2008. Granted, that year there were only two relegation spots to avoid (with Derby County having effectively locked one up). 4 wins out of 6, the same result as '08, would put us at 36 points. Stranger things have happened.

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

And we stayed up because we bested Reading in the goal differential column by 3 goals, we're not beating anybody in that department this year (unless we can start winning the some of these games 5-0). :pray:

6. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Sounds like we agree then. We have 24 pts, I think we'll get 2 wins as well, which would be 30 pts. Perhaps I should have phrased that differently. I don't think we'll get more than 30 pts. Better?

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if we went 1-2-3 for 5 pts. One of the matches we're counting on for a win is Norwich. This will be the 4th time we've played them this year. We won 2 and drew 1. Have we beaten a team 3 times in a season before? In most sports, that's pretty tough to do when the two sides are pretty evenly matched on overall quality. If memory serves, we haven't been particularly good at getting the double on teams either. That doesn't bode well for us since we've already beaten Villa, Stoke and Palace this season.

I'll own the pessimist tag though. With this FFC team, it comes easy.

Oh, and Tim, that '08 team would have kicked this team's ass and taken it's lunch money. That team could defend, were disciplined, had far superior leadership and had more efficient goal scoring options. It all came together late for them, but I never lost hope with that team. I've rarely seen anything from this year's squad to give me any hope.

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I think what helped the 08 Great Escape team a lot was getting a healthy Kasey Keller back (along with Bullard and McBride). If you re-watch some of the highlights from the Man City game where we came back to win, Keller made some fantastic saves to even give us a shot at a comeback in that match.

8. tim

tim Active Member

I'd expect our '08 team to steal our current squad's girlfriend and take her to prom, too. Night and day between the two teams, I agree. But I'm clinging to the last bit of hope left, because, well, what else can I do?