worst car ever?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Oct 20, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

What was yours?

Mine was a 1955 Morris Minor sedan. I bought it used in England in 1967. It got 45 miles to the [Imperial] gallon, and 45 miles to the pint of oil. It was geared extremely low [I was in 4th gear by 18mph] but the compression was chronically so low that it couldn't pull even a modest hill with two passengers. It was Spleen Green with a black trunk [the result of backing into a light pole]. I didn't have a key to the black trunk lid that I got from the junk dealer, so I'd just pry the bent back bumper to open it, and, once I took out the oil and put the trunk lid in the proper position, kick the bumper into "lock position."

I decided to sell it when I was passed by a tractor pulling a harrow on a Bedfordshire country lane [compression again]. The guy I sold it to was an alky. He'd drive to town, hit the pub, forget he had a car and catch the bus home. I'd get a call from the Beds Constabulary about leaving my auto in a bad zone. I'd remind them that we'd already done the transfer bit [no computers in those days].

Anyhow in late 1969, he'd left the car on a blind corner, and a lorry sideswiped it. The entire right side of the car dislodged. It was being held together only by rust particles.

So, your candidate?

2. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

"Best" I can do is the combination of my first 2 cars.

#1. 1978 VW beetle. body was half bondo, part of the floor had rusted through, and had no radio, just a big "air vent" where a radio should be. Still, it could go 130 kmh and got good gas mileage. Had to get rid of it after a year because it was past the point of being able to pass inspection (see bondo comment above).

#2. Immediately after getting rid of the beetle, I was given a 1980 Volvo. Sounded good (right price, anyway). Problem was, the engine had over 300k miles on it. I don't know cars well enough to tell you which part(s) was the problem, but the thing couldn't idle - it would always stall out. Once you got into 2nd gear, you were ok, but I began to really, really hate stop lights. The car ended up costing me money as I had to pay to junk it within 3 months.