World Cup Qualifiers

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by BarryWhite, Jul 29, 2021.

1. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Same here, except I only watched the first half and then I thought "I don't need this crap." It had already been a long day for my fantasy football team and my favorite pointy football team.

nevzter likes this.
  2. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Was Berhalter expecting a Gold Cup match on US soil? I understand rotating players through the three matches, but that was ridiculous. Thankfully (like Joe), I didn’t watch.

Here’s to something better on Wednesday (it can’t really get any worse, can it?).

nevzter likes this.
  3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Last time I didn't watch a USMNT match, we kicked serious fundament. So, I'm NOT planning to watch today.

4. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I’m going to say I have no idea what to expect tonight.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

@HatterDon, Oh no you don’t HD, your TV better be on ESPN2 at 6PM San Antonio time, suffer like the rest of us.

Let’s see what lineup GB puts out there. Obviously if Antonee & Weston aren’t able to play, I would expect another drab performance. Instead of riding the hot hand and starting most of the Jamaica lineup, then subbing to save legs, GB went oppo w/7 new starters and they put in the worst
    performance since T&T. The Ticos are still rolling out their old guys, and will look to slow it down, let’s see what happens.

Panama travels to Canada, a draw would probably be the best result for us.

El Salvador hosts Mexico, ES has been good at home, maybe they can do us a favor.

6. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what to expect from Costa Rica. They were totally dominated last week in Honduras - at least stat-wise - in an eventual nil-nil draw. They had 33% possession, only completed 65% of their passes, and managed 4 shots (to 24 by Honduras) with only 1 on target. Then they flipped the script on Sunday at home to El Salvador. Hopefully they play as poorly on the road tonight as they did last week.

I am a little more confident than some of you sound. Getting Adams, Aaronson, Robinson (both of them), Dest, and Pepi back in the lineup is huge. Throw in McKennie (if healthy) and Weah and that's a solid team.

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

It was messy at times, but youth prevailed over experience and a vital 3 points was earned. Craziest stat, the oldest player in the starting eleven for the US was Zach Steffen at 26, the Ticos youngest was 27. :eek:

We need Pulisic & Reyna going forward, but their absence made others step up. Sergino Dest w/a golazo to tie it up. Let’s not forget he’s 20 years old, and not only is he the most skilled player we have, but to see him leading the crowd in cheers after coming off, and his excitement in the post match interview showed the kid is all in.

Adams’ had the presence of a Captain, in total command.

Moment that defined the match and teams in their current state; calamitous giveaway gave Bryan Ruiz a breakaway just inside the halfway line. 10 years ago, Bryan takes advantage and buries it. At his age, he could only manage to get to the top of the 18 before he was caught and turned the ball back over.

Canada buried Panama after giving up an early goal themselves 4-1. So Mexico at 14, US at 11, and Canada at 10 in top 3.

MicahMan likes this.
  8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

As it turned out, I watched in two segments. Seems that I had a ZOOM church meeting that I'd completely blanked out for 6:30. I did see the first goal -- no blame on the keeper from me. I got back to the match in the 70th minute and caught the 2nd goal, and got pissed off with 8 minutes or so when we stopped pressing those tired oldies from Costa Rica and decided 2 was enough. The numbers look good for him, but I'm still not comfortable with our international gaffer. What's Bruce Arena up to these days?

9. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Rolling the MLS Eastern conference by some obscene point differential with New England.