Who Got You Here?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, May 14, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, we're having our periodic "favorite player" thread, how about one that deals with the one player who got you to follow Fulham in the first place>

Many of our Brit readers might find this a bit strange, since they got their addiction with their pablum, but most of us on this board didn't grow up in SW6.

So, which player first got you watching the Cottagers with a bit more than passing interest?

For me it was Brian McBride*, the old fashioned English Centre Forward I've always admired. So, who got you here?

* Brian also got me "here" at fulhamusa.com. I was googling him to find out about his history and discovered that this hyar instanity existed.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Actually, I've rethought this.... I always said McBride for obvious reasons, he got me INTO the club, but then I've realized that it was Bocanegra that first got me reading about Fulham. Of course I didnt rate Boca all that highly {and, bless his heart, I was right} so it wasnt worth it to me to actually REGISTER on the Offal.

Added: Lest it seem as if I'm slagging him off, I'm not. I figured he'd play well enough to stick, but that he was really just 'among the best ten' MLS Defenders. Imagine if Mike Clark had been a little younger.

3. ToviFromSantaBarbara

ToviFromSantaBarbara New Member

McBride got my head turned toward Fulham, but it was when Dempsey came over that I finally called myself a Fulham supporter.

I got "here", from a caller on the world soccer daily podcast, who mentioned FulhamUSA.

4. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

A local Fulham supporter got me 'into' Fulham but at my first ever game it was Rufus Brevett who really stood out.

5. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Funny, googling led me to this website as well, however I was searching Clint Dempsey.

Dempsey led to my watching FFC initially as well. My masochistic subconscious has kept me watching. :wink:

6. Bradical

Bradical Member

Much like Tovi, McBride put Fulham on the map for me, but Dempsey's signing in January 2007 put me fully in the FFC camp. Been on the rollercoaster ever since.

I didn't locate FulhamUSA until I did a Google search for something after the Sunderland match. The Cottagers got 12 pts in 5 games and avoided relegation since I came on (ahem).

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

McBride and Boca, but really it was the history of the Club and the Cottage.

8. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Louis Saha...who was such a big part of why they finished 9th in the Premiership. What could have been if he had stayed? :(

9. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

For me it was not a player, but a friend. I had always followed the EPL from a distance, with no favorite team (except for maybe Newcastle because I liked the beer...).
    My friends were visiting London about 7 years ago and I asked them to bring me back a souvenir. Lo and behold it was a Fulham kit (nice friends, huh). And I been bleeding Black&White ever since.
    COYW!! 8)
    MK

10. jonbruns

jonbruns New Member

It was really the americans. I have always been an EPL fan and got much more into it went I purchased FSC. I had a hard time following without having a "dog in the fight". I knew that I DEFNITELY did not want to pull for the Big Four (thats like rooting for the Yankees or Duke) I knew of Fulham from McBride and the Dempsey signing so I started to really follow them. Google brought me to FulhamUSA and this site has definitely increased my passion!

11. EricD

EricD New Member

Mcbride. But there are several factors that kept me here.

12. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

It's hard to imagine fulham without an American now. In January of 2003, my first ever Fulham match, there wasn't a yank in sight. In between Eddie Lewis and our very own McGod.

13. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Loved watching the English game, needed a rooting interest. Wanted a London club (increasing the chances of making a match) that wasn't Arsenal or the asshats in blue. Figured I'd let Dempsey be the divining rod (assuming he went to London metro) and here we are. Bonus that he ended up with Boca and McBride. I WILL be at the Cottage next season.

14. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Re: RE: Who Got You Here?

Yeah, he could have been in OUR Physio's shop!

Sorry... couldnt resist. {See C. Reyna}

15. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

RE: Re: RE: Who Got You Here?

Big Mac of course!

16. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

McBride not only made me a Fulham fan he made me a soccer fan. The 2006 World Cup match vs Italy was one of the most incredible sporting events that I'd ever watched. I loved every minute of it. I couldnt help but follow the brave and bloodied McBride wherever he went after that game (despite his offside position on Beasley shot). At the time I didnt know enough to admire him as the old fashioned English center forward as Hatter does, but I did admire him as an old fashioned athlete who gives everything he can and puts his team and the fans before himself. It is no accident that McBride ended up at FFC so I will always love them and follow them

17. Silas

Silas New Member

McBride. I saw the link to this site under his player page and here I was.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

And here I thought he had been MLS Defender of the Year two years in a row! Had he won three in a row, I guess he'd "really be just among the best six MLS defenders."

19. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

For me it wasn't a player initially, it was all the American players and the fact that Fulham was not top table, always rooting for the underdog I guess, then it was the history that was intriguing, but I saw a lot of Dempsey at first, so it would have to be Dempsey

20. PaydayC4

PaydayC4 New Member

It wasn't any player but reading about the story that Al Fayed was going to buy a (back-then) Third Division team when I was in college. Seeing the team get promoted almost every year was fun and finally making the Premiership was awesome.

Watching all the managers from Keegan to Tigana to Cookie to LS to good ol' Roy...it's been a journey.

I've seen the players come and go but I'll always stay true to Fulham!