Whew! Did you know...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Apr 3, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

.. That in the mid-seventies, the developed nations of the world were urged to spread soot on the icecaps and glaciers to ward off the coming ice-age?

That's no joke, I'm old enough to remember it and that's also why I am a little sceptical of the current doom and gloom scenario.

Consider:
    Baffin Island is cooler now than in last ice age

That global warming would cause a longer growing season which would cause more Carbon conversion and also more evap from oceans, which should spread more precipitation into now-desert areas, causing more plant/crop growth resulting in more food and more carbon conversion.

That statements on the 'rain forests' requiring century or more to recover are bunk! What matters is the leaf density.
    That old rainforests release more methane than new growth.. and methane is a greenhouse gas and a key cause of global warming.

I dont think we can argue that the polar ice isnt melting...I DO think we can argue about what that means.
    Specifically.. that all that ice-water does NOT just go into oceans and stay there.
    What's more... rain released on land does NOT all just go back into the oceans.

I suggest it would be more appropriate to figure out how to USE this bonanza of water and guide it to where it's needed. Where it would be used to grow crops and perenial leafage, thus more carbon conversion.

I'm further suggesting that some of you may live long enough to see the 'wonk-worms' turn and again warn us we're all about to become eskimos.

2. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I think the part often over looked by folks skeptical (and I am too) is the salinity of the water and the shifting of the jetstreams and deep ocean currents. Weather patterns will be greatly affected and erosion patterns will change.

My view on this is that it will happen so slowly that it will change the world over time, not necessarily kill everyone in 3 days.

The most interesting part of the ice melting is the opening of arctic sea. The russians, chinese, scandinavians, canadians, and americans are all making claims on it, in fact there is a law already written for it. Interesting.

3. VonBilly

VonBilly New Member

we're also due for a magnetic flip of the pole's.
    what thats gonna, gawd knows...birds flying north for the winter :wink:

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Maybe it's already begun... explain all those canada honkers fouling the park ponds everywhere across eastern USA!

Wouldnt worry about that, worried about precession... as described in a SF book about 25 years ago and explaining why the Sun stood still for a day... if you aint in one of the two safe spots on the globe, it's gonna be a roller coaster ride when the earth flips on axis!

Sleep tight!
    ;)

5. VonBilly

VonBilly New Member

im into multi-universal theory, some where out there i just knobbed winona ryder (jump) scored the winner for fulham in the cup final (jump) hit a home run in the world series for the redsox ...(jump........ 8)