What Non-Fulham clubs do you support?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by ChicagoTom, Aug 3, 2006.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

For most all of us Fulham is our clear cut #1 club to support around the world. Some people, myself included, have a few other clubs we support. I do not support these clubs with nearly the same passion and intensity as Fulham, but I do check their scores each week to see how they did.

What other clubs do you like and why?

I will start:

Coca-Cola Championship: Crystal Palace and Wolves. My fiancee Zaneta picked these two teams when they were in the Premiership and she started cheering for them because she felt bad for them as both clubs sucked. In addition, last time I went to London, my brother and I went to Selhurst Park, Palace's home ground and the groundskeeper let us on the pitch and let us walk around all over the place. It was cool and I will always remember that.

Division II: Torquay and Stockport County. Torquay because I like the name, Stockport because they are in a tough position financially and some of us gave money to them last season for bonds to buy to support the club and get them back on their feet. I would like to see them do well.

French Ligue 1 - Lille. I just saw them on Fox Soccer Channel about two years ago and liked the way they play. I have stuck with them.

La Liga in Spain - I guess Real Mallorca for no apparent reason. I do not really have a favorite in this league. I just cheer for everyone playing against Barca and Real Madrid.

German Bundesliga - Borussia Dortmund. I love their brown and yellow kits. I might be one of the few that likes them. Reminds me of my grammar school brown and yellow catholic uniforms.

Dutch Eredivisie - Utrecht. My brother used to buy his art supplies from a store in downtown Chicago called Utrecht. When I saw there was a team called Utrecht, I picked them.

Italian Serie A - Sampdoria. I like their kits and I do not like any of the big horses in the Italian league.

What other teams do people like?

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Championship (or former Championship): Reading. I love their uniforms and town's name. Travelling from Maryland to relatives homes in Mass. by car, when my brother and I were kids, we always had to travel through Reading, and I knew it would only be a few more miles after that. I need a new CC team.

La Liga: Club Atlético de Madrid, love the uniforms. US colors, even the badge reminds me of a US flag.

Dutch: PSV, Americans--yeay!!! Cool uniforms as well. Wish I could see them play.

Bundesliga: Stuttgart. Parents lived there for about two years--family thing.

Edit: Forgot to include a MLS team: But of course that would be DC United!

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, here's a surprise to start!

1. Luton Town Football Club -- the Hatters -- From Jan '67 when I saw my first match at Kenilworth Rd through today. Seen them in all 4 divisions, and traveled with them to Derby, Coventry, Brentford, and about a dozen other places. Former season ticket holder, and terminal sufferer.

2. US WNT! I love the Beautiful Game played brilliantly by Beautiful Players. USA is the Brazil of the women's game.

3. Reading, Man City, W. Ham, Charlton, Sheff Wed, Leeds, etc., in other words, any club enlightened enough to hire American. [No lack of love for Jay DeMerit or Zak Whitbread; but their teams are on my 5 most hated list.]

4. PSV, Hannover 96, etc., also the American connection.

5. Really developing a taste for FC Dallas here recently.

4. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

great idea for a post. Here are my "other" teams:

England:
    Liverpool because of Gerrard. Really, I don't care if they win or not though, I just love Gerrard.
    Reading because of their cool jerseys...I like Hannehman and Convey too.
    Plymouth of Argyle. Love the color green, and they are the first team I used on Championship Manager. hahahaha

Dutch:
    PSV Eindhoven mainly because of Guus Hiddink...but now that he left, I don't know if I will like them as much.

German:
    Dortmund because of their stadium, fans, and I like their colors.

Italy:
    Lazio because they used to have my favorite player when I first started following football...Marcelo Salas.

MLS:
    Real Salt Lake cuz I live in Salt Lake. Too bad they suck!!!

5. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I don't really support anyone in the Soda Pop Championship but the rest:

Division 2: Stockport County for Toms reasons above.

Dutch: NEC because the NEC fans have a great relationship with Fulham fans and we partied with about three dozen of them since last years trip coincided with their trip. Awsome guys.

Seria A: Formerly Juve (just because as I kid I saw them on TV) but currently is Palermo. Passionate fans and well, some of my family comes from Sicily...and they remind me of Fulham. Small club making it big.

MLS: I never picked a team but am leaning towards DC United.

La Liga: Barcelona but only because of Ronaldinho...he is Magic.

6. BC

BC New Member

1. Aberdeen FC- I spent a semester in college at Aberdeen University and the first professional soccer match I ever attended was at Pittodrie. So I'll always support AFC as they were my first exposure to the beautiful game.

2. Any EPL team with Americans on the roster I like to follow. I'll also keep an eye on Man U b/c they were the first team I followed in the EPL and I love Wayne Rooney's style of play.

3. I don't follow MLS much but I like seeing the Chicago Fire do well.

7. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Wolves- Kinda hope they don't come up because I would be supporting 2 teams. Saw them beat United 2 years ago and fell in love with the team.

Le Mans- Saw their first match back in Ligue 1 vs Lyon when they got a draw. Liked the atmosphere and the team.

Inter-This year will suck because we dont have a challenge. At least I can still watch them beat up on teams in the CL.

8. VonBilly

VonBilly New Member

My first Subbuteo team (when my older brother finally let me play in his mate's league) was East Fife, so i always watch out for there score.

New England Rev's. the Patriots, Red Sox, Roslyn Park (Rugby Union Team).

i used to go Arsenal away matches with my mates when we were in the 3rd div (old money) but dont look up to them now that we are in the same division

9. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

My number one club is Fulham, but I also support clubs with American players. As long as their not playing FFC.

10. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Re: RE: What Non-Fulham clubs do you support?

Not sure are ladies play particularly attractive ball, but they do get the job done. Our best player Wambach essentially overpowers the opposition and nets a few per game. Not really Jogo Bonito type stuff.

I think we should give ups to the German WNT as they are the defending Euro and World Champions after handing it to us in the semis a few years ago. They held on to their 1 spot a few months ago when they beat us in the Algarve cup

back on track, may five favorite non FFC teams are.......
    1) USA all types
    2) Minnesota Thunder- home town team, other than that their not attractive in any way, poor Thunder
    3)Canada all types
    4)MLS all stars as they bring the scum to their knees this weekend, if they do they have a permanent place on the list
    5)hmm don't really have any others but all say Chivas USA because I love what their trying to do in MLS, passion, attacking footy, ect.

11. RDG

RDG Member

RE: Re: RE: What Non-Fulham clubs do you support?

I keep an eye on Sunderland, as a good friend is a big fan.

I also like to see where Torquay is. Well, at least I tried to, before Leroy Rosenior got booted. Hey, Basil Fawlty can't be wrong!

12. rumstove

rumstove New Member

League 2: MK Dons--their shirt sponsor is Marshall guitar amplifiers (even though I prefer Laney amps) and their home is National Hockey Stadium (built in hopes hockey would catch on after the 1988 Olympic Games), although they are building a new stadium and moving soon.

Conference: Burton Albion FC--nick name is Brewers, just like one of my two favorite MLB teams.

MLS: don't have a team, but I guess either Chicago Fire or Colorado Rapids.

13. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Japan National Team - My favorite footie team. I was born and raised in Japan (until I was nine), and still travel back every two or three years. I happened to be in Japan during World Cup 2002 and really caught "soccer fever" while I was there. I've been a big fan of their NT ever since.

Celtic - I've always liked them a lot more than Rangers, but it was their signing of Shunsuke Nakamura that made want to follow them closer.

Athletic Bilbao - People can rip their Basque-only policy all they want, but to me, it only gives them that much more of an identity.

Ajax Amsterdam - They have an academy-type program going in Orlando. Also, they've never been managed by Guus Hiddink.

14. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

The only soccer team I support more then Fulham is the US National Team.

15. DCDave

DCDave Member

DC United: My local side

Wolves: They were Fulham's opponent in the only EPL game I've ever seen, and they have a cool logo and colors

Hibs: The guy who took us to the Fulham-Wolves match is a Hibs fan

Romanian MNT: I'm half Romanian, and I loved watching them in the 94 World Cup (especially Hagi)

USMNT

16. americanmike

What was the score of that match Dave?

17. DCDave

DCDave Member

0-0, on October 18, 2003. Fulham were off their game, with an incredible number of offsides. However, I was hooked...

18. americanmike

HA! I was there as well for my second Fulham match ever. We hit the crossbar a few times if I could remember, also, Dean Leacock was playing at right back and I think that was his first match in the first team.

19. DCDave

DCDave Member

We did, but so did the last-place Wolves late in the game, right in front of us. That was close!

20. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

I like NY Red Bulls, KRL (Pakistani club), and a bunch of Iranian and Middle Eastern teams. Does anyone watch Football Asia on FSC?