West Ham v Fulham

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by AggieMatt, Aug 30, 2012.

1. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

On the heels of the frenetic end to the transfer window, we've got a match at Upton Park against West Ham United. The match is on ESPN2 live at 7:30 am (ET).

West Ham are fresh off promotion from the Championship and come into the match in 10th place in the table. They won their home opener v Villa and dropped a road match to Swansea. Given their "newboy" status, this should be one of our winnable road matches this year.

However, we've struggled at Upton Park historically. We're winless in our last 7 there, with 3 losses and 4 draws. In fact, to find our last win there, you have to go back to 2003-04 where we beat them in the FA Cup (5th rd) 3-0 (they were in the Championship that year). Our last Prem win there was a 2-0 victory in 2001-02. The length of that drought is in part due to West Ham spending 3 of those years (03/04, 04/05, 11/12) in the Championship, however the fact remains, at West Ham is no walk in the (Upton) park for Fulham.

I have a few too many memories of blown wins and gutting losses at WHU since I've followed Fulham, so I'm going to predict a 1-1 draw. I think we're both going to come out of the window unsettled by some changes.

2. OKStormknight

OKStormknight New Member

A solid analysis of what will indeed not be a cake-walk in any sense. At best a 1-goal victory for the Whites (Despite the current chaos.) But more likely a 1-1 or even a 0-0 draw.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Great stuff Matt. A few memories from our trips over there. The Good: McBride's sick volley (off a Boca pass) in that FA Cup match, Konch's laser beam that was on that goal countdown from the Offal, The Bad: Some dreadful losses, The Ugly: Eddie Johnson with the one opportunity to get the Fulham fans on his side, fighting off the GK and a defender for the ball and then somehow MISSING an open net (I can still hear GJ's reaction).

4. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Last 7 matches a no wins. Time to change that.

5. sfm

sfm Member

Whosover shall be there: I shall be there

(And also at Motspur Park Sunday afternoon for U21s vs Crystal Palace U 21s)

Will revert with post match thoughts. Hopefully, they will include on pitch contributions from a laconic Bulgarian for the team in Oranje.

Viva el-Fulham!

6. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

It figures, the first time I am out of town for the season with an early chauffeur duty for a match and Fulham are on ESPN. I would try to write some kind of intelligible prediction before the match but tomorrow is transfer deadline day and for all I know McIntosh will trade the whole squad before they all turn into pumpkins at midnight. Add into the mixer that yahoo sports is indicating that Fulham have doubts over Bryan Ruiz, John Arne-Riise, Philippe Senderos, Simon Davies and Kerim Frei and the picture gets even murkier but I like perching in the tallest treetops on the slimmest of branches so here is Barry's what to watch for on Saturday morning even though I won't be watching until I get home sometime on Sunday or Monday evening prediction.

Let's start with the who won't we see assumptions first

1. Bryan Ruiz is too important to risk on a niggle this early in the season so he won't even be on the subs bench.
    2. Clint Dempsey. Even if he isn't gone, which I fully expect him to be, he hasn't been training with the first team so he won't see the subs bench either. At least he won't see Fulham's bench.
    3. Anyone that we happen to sign tomorrow won't start tomorrow but we might get a late game appearance off the subs bench from Berbatov if he is registered of course.

The Starters

Schwarzer

Riether-Hughes-Hangeland-Briggs

Diarra - Sidwell

Duff - Petric - Kacaniklic

Hugo

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

We're going to win 1-2. I'm going to try and be in the chatroom while watching. We'll see how that works out.

8. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Time to reach 6 points. The squad need to make this happen - make the new arrivals comfortable and the rest of the confident despite departures.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Ahhhh, a football match. I'm already worn out by the transfer deadline. I'm not reading any of the threads about it, and I only check in on Sky Sports News [on all damn day long on FSC] periodically. Once I saw the guy say that the Berbatov thing was still up in the air, I turned it off and attacked some pancakes.

I still like our chances. If they start Carroll, I like them even better. Although I think he is a vastly underrated player with a good amount of talent, he is EXACTLY the type of player that Hangeland feeds on.

Still saying 1-2

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Will you be joining us in the chat room for this one Hatter?

11. AggieMatt

If you stay away from threads with your "friends" you won't be nearly as worn out. ;)

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

thbpppppppppppppppt!

I ain't been on there all damn day.

13. AggieMatt

You sure about that? ;)

Well, you got your wish. No more :flags-texas: or :flags-waveusa: on Fulham (aside from the kid buried in the youth setup). Not sure it's worth it since the same idiots will just find some other ridiculous garbage to go on about and annoy you.

14. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

So you're not counting Hangeland? :cool:

15. AggieMatt

Crossed my mind when I was picking out the smilies, but nah, Norway has the rightful claim to him. He's more an honorary Texan.

16. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Anybody want to venture a guess at a lineup? I don't even know where to begin, outside of Schwarzer and Brede.

17. AggieMatt

Not even sure we can guess at a formation. I don't know that tomorrow will reveal much to that end either, so we may be in this boat for a couple of weeks.

Can't wait to see what we do though. Although I could've waited a little longer than 6 stinking 30 am ct tomorrow morning. Naps are cool.

See y'all in the chat room...if I don't oversleep.

18. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

My guess is I'll be awake at 4:45 AM :shock: to commiserate in the chat.

19. tim

tim Active Member

Joe, my hat's off to you. But I've got the DVR set. Will be watching at the far more humane hour of 7 or 8.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

my main ambition is to get up early enough to watch/chat. If I'm late, I'll have to wait until I catch up.

Let's get three of the Cheats!