West Ham, Crew fans trade blows in stands

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by FFC007, Jul 21, 2008.

1. FFC007

FFC007 New Member

From the southeastern corner of Crew Stadium came the West Ham United chants: "East! East! East Lon-don!"

From the northeastern came the answer: "Co-lum-bus! Co-lum-bus!"

Yesterday's war of words turned physical at halftime of the Crew's exhibition match against West Ham, when a handful of West Ham fans ventured into the heart of the Crew's supporters section.

A scuffle broke out and stadium security quickly pulled the West Ham interlopers to the stadium concourse. The next few minutes were frantic.

While the West Ham fans were removed to a stair landing on the back side of the stadium, supporters of both teams gathered on the concourse. Several punches were thrown and one West Ham fan was thrown to the ground by security and handcuffed by police, who used pepper spray or mace to help break up the melee.

Police couldn't confirm the number of arrests and Crew vice president of operations Scott DeBolt said he would have no details "until I get a report, which might not be till (today)."

More fans were seen handcuffed in the parking lots after the game.

Shortly after halftime, West Ham fans unfurled a banner in the stadium's south end that read "ICF, 30 Years Undefeated."

The Inter City Firm, or ICF, is one of the most notorious hooligan groups in England.

Peter Witham, a fan of the English team Arsenal, said he was on his way to the restroom when he got hit with chemical irritant used by police.

"I've never experienced anything like that in my life and I've been going to English Premier League games for forever," he said.

One of the fans who entered the Crew's supporters section was not ejected despite being detained by security for several minutes.

"We just went over for some tea and crumpets and (the Crew fans) got mad," said the man, who identified himself as Dave Simpson from London

2. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Hudson Street Hooligans??

Surely, pettyfog was there and was instrumental in this.

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Re: RE: West Ham, Crew fans trade blows in stands

Haha, you beat me to it...float like a butterfly and sting like a bee.

4. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

RE: Re: RE: West Ham, Crew fans trade blows in stands

I bet West Ham aren't the favorite team of US fans at the moment eh?

What the hell were they thinking, trying to go and beat up some Columbus fans for being loud and supporting their team. I would be furious as a Crew supporter having to witness such crap IN America. Losers.

5. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

Oh, I hope there won't be any "brave souls" who want to do something like that at BMO on Thursday.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

It's the type of team support SOME fans think MLS lacks. Previous low was the Fire Ultra's but they've been more or less tamed.

Why most of us like TFC fans. They 'observe the lines', as it were.

7. Jux

Jux New Member

Unfortunately, the melee was easily the most interesting part of the match. The Crew fielded a team of mostly reserves until about midway through the second half. Unlike most international friendlies at Crew stadium, the home team didn't seem to care and the visitors (Reid and Belamy looked great) played like there were points at stake.