Vick: What I would do if I were Arthur Blank.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jul 24, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

This is a really sad situation, but I think there's both more and less to it than meets the eye.

It IS plausible that MV had nothing to do with what went on. But it's not credible to believe he didnt know about it.

What is going to happen is plain as the nose on his face... the guys that were doing it will claim it was all MV's idea and he was running the operation.

I'm sure everyone has heard the options and none of them are good for either the Falcons or the NFL. Vicks foibles were all small change up to now... no incidents at strip clubs or shootings in his running pack, just a flask and some minor squabbles.

Blank should suspend MV at 1/3 pay which would pass arbitration, IMO, and give Vick some financial leeway while the case is adjudicated.

But let's face it... if he is found guilty he is done, and he has no one else to blame than himself. Dont EVEN say, if you're convicted that it isnt over until the appeals are exhausted.

Because if the jury has at least 9 men on it, and it should, he wont be found guilty unless it's beyond reasonable doubt.

2. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

Petty how can you say "It IS Plausible that MV had nothing to do with what went on" the guy had 60 odd Pitbulls in he's own backyard, training equipment etc etc and you believe he had nothing to do with what went on, I sure hope you know what goes on in your own backyard?
    This guy is GUILTY as hell and hopefully the jury will find him that way, take he's sorry A$$ along with Pacman Jones and lock em up forever.

3. pettyfog

Ummm He owned the house, but he didnt live there, did he?

They are going to have to establish he was there.

4. Martin-in-Nashville

wether he lived there or not, there were over 60 Pitbulls trained and killed by whoever, how would anyone not know what was going on,on their own property???

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

According to the indictment they have proof he was there (of course it has to be presented), the feds haven't named witnesses, but his cousin that was originally arrested is suspiciously off the indictment.

However the thread was asking what you would do if you were the owner of the Falcons (even though it appears the NFL has helped him in that regard). From a football (wins/losses) standpoint the distraction he presence would create needs to be excised, a leave of absence makes sense. From a personal standpoint, when a person you've put as the face of your franchise seems to have looked you square in the eyes and lied the feelings of betrayal have to be there.

6. jmh

jmh New Member

Re: RE: Vick: What I would do if I were Arthur Blank.

Petty didn't say he didn't know what was going on, he said it was conceivable that he didn't have anything to do with it.

7. phillybiz

phillybiz New Member

Seriously let's not be nieve. An operation of that scale needs MAJOR financial backing. So I guess his unemployed cousin payed for everything. Not to mention the former website for "vick K-9 Kennels" pictures him on the premesis. I'm all for due process but I say they wet him down in the pool and

8. martin

martin New Member

RE: Re: RE: Vick: What I would do if I were Arthur Blank.

There is obviously a lot of coverage of this story here in Atlanta. A couple of his teammates have said, "Let's let the courts sort it out," but the overwhelming sentiment is that he should be suspended until the trial and, if convicted, never play another down for the Falcons or any other NFL team.

Blank is in a tough position. He has always backed Vick 100%. It was Blank who pulled the strings to draft Vick in the first place, and Blank has done everything he could to put Vick out there as the face of the franchise. It has been a pretty successfuly strategy, with sellouts every week and tons of Vick jerseys on fans' backs. Blank continued to stand by Vick after his various minor incidents (Ron Mexico, airplane water bottle, etc.) For Blank to bail on Vick now would be an admission that he was wrong on every one of those decisions. That's a tough thing to admit, especially for a successful bazillionaire businessman.

I don't know what I would do if I were Blank. For now, the league has given him an out. He can say he stands by Vick but has to comply with the league's request to keep him away from the team. I guess I would suspend him anyway. If that causes a fight with the players union, so be it. The PR fallout is just too huge for Blank and the team not to take firm action.

9. Martin-in-Nashville

Oh you have 60 plus dogs on YOUR Premises and you dont have anything to do with it...right Gotcha!

10. Martin-in-Nashville

Sink he's sorry A$$

11. jmh

jmh New Member

I'm not saying I buy it, I'm just saying you changed what Petty said.

12. Martin-in-Nashville

Changed what?

13. psand22

psand22 Member

RE: Re: RE: Vick: What I would do if I were Arthur Blank.

I think they need to suspend him, until this goes to trial and we get a verdict. Even though, the evidence is stacked pretty high against him. I've read that 96% of cases brought before a grand jury get a conviction. So they are usually pretty darn sure they have enough evidence to get a conviction (except for the Duke Lacrosse team).

Arthur Blank is having a press conference this afternoon at 4:00 EST, so we should know what he's going to do this afternoon.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I would like to thank all of you on the FUSA message board for NOT bringing up the "star athelete is a role model" crap that usually happens when a guy in his 20s doesn't show the same degree of judgement that a guy in his 40s might.

Damn; this is by far the best site I've ever happened upon.

15. pettyfog

Don, the reason for that is we are all adults and we already know that for a fact.
    Ref: the thread on the Crack Dealer councilman. "I'm gonna be an NFL QB"
    {added} Well, that's still ambiguous aint it. The thing that's pertinent is that an employer has the option of firing anyone who casts his enterprise in a bad light. If Pro Sport leagues have to put it on the same level as "You disrespect your gang, you suffer!" then that's how it's gonna have to be done.

Martin, I dont know how I could have put it plainer:
    The point is: The law must run its course. But Vick should not be anywhere around the Falcons.

The fact that the Commish has ordered Vick away now leaves Blank with options on how he supports Vick. I dont think there's any reason he cant keep him on a stipend to keep most of the fans on board.

16. Martin-in-Nashville

You can all have your own opinion, and I believe he knew exactly what was going on and must now pay the altimate price and like everyone else would and lose he's job.

I cant believe Petty you of all people believe that MV had nothing to do with what went of on he's own property.

Who in their right mind would allow someone to bring in 60 plus pitbulls and then not be apart of what went on. it just amazes me that people have these thoughts.

17. pettyfog

I think you are too emotional on this ..... and I hope you accept that whatever jury he goes before is disspassionate.

KNOWING there were a lot of pit bulls there and suspecting they were only there for fighting purposes, is not the same as LIVING THERE, and telling someone to kill them when they lose.

It was his family that was involved.

18. Martin-in-Nashville

Firstly I'm not emotional about anything so cut that crap it doesn't wear with me.
    Secondly, who funded the 60 plus Pitbulls that lived there, most of he's family are out of work, face the facts Petty the guy is GUILTY and will the courts find it that way I doubt it, I've learned to believe that in this country you can buy your way out of most things including MURDER.

19. Martin-in-Nashville

oh Good MV Pleaded Not Guilty I was so worried about that?

20. krhimself

krhimself New Member

It's official, Michael Vick will plead guilty to dogfighting charges.

Let the firestorm commence...